Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Cracking sound when shifting hard ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cracking sound when shifting hard ???

Sometimes when i shift pretty hard... (when i let the clutch out fast) i hear a CRACK!!!!! sound. Not too too loud but it concerns me. I dont beat on my car much.... and i was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Or if someone knows what it might be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think about what you're saying. You're shifting pretty HARD. Nothing you do in your car should be done HARD. It's not necessary and it could cost you later on when you damage your shift linkage/transmission.

Think of it this way: Give yourself a little jab in the stomach. Didn't hurt right? Now punch yourself HARD in the stomach... Knocked the wind out of you right?

There you go.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man when i say hard.. i dont mean chirp second hard.. its just a quick shift.... its not like iam redlining and letting the clutch out... Its a normal quick shift, even at low RPM it does it... drives fine and pulls hard... but just makes that crack noise sometimes.... any idea's of what it might be?
Old 09-14-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only crackling i hear is my dash area when i shift fast, this is because of the wieght transfer...it's all the plastic in the dash shifting a little
Old 09-14-2005, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah.... its def is coming from the front bottom of the car... thats why iam worried it might be the trans....
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member

r u letting ur clutch out too early? cuz i've heard that but its just cuz i let the clutch out too early. if not that then i dunno man.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i mean iam going into gear fine... no grinding or anything.... and it never did it b4... just started hearing it maybe 2-3 weeks ago.... but its not all the time.... sounds like something is cracking... or SNAP... but the car runs fine.... so i dunno..
Old 09-14-2005, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

____...i'd bring that to the dealer....cuz taht doesnt sound too good
Old 09-14-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe a tranny/motor mount?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

Mine did that once when I was learning how to drive stick. I revved way too hard and then let out the clutch fast. This was a really loud crack too. Anyway, that was a week or two ago, and the car is fine. I'm thinking about letting the dealer take a look, but it runs exactly like it did the first day I got it, so I'm not worrying too much.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cracking sound when shifting hard ???

Originally Posted by Hitm@n
Sometimes when i shift pretty hard... (when i let the clutch out fast) i hear a CRACK!!!!! sound. Not too too loud but it concerns me. I dont beat on my car much.... and i was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Or if someone knows what it might be.

Thanks in advance.
I've heard this too. Only when I'm trying to accellerate quickly though. I hear it mostly going from second to third though, and only if I take 2nd to about 6k and shift quickly into 3rd.

It also makes a "tinny" sound when I shift slowly. It's been doing that since I got it though. I guess I should take it in and get it checked.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tC made that noise once when i was downshifting into 4th, let off the clutch too fast and "POP!" haven't done it since and my tranny's holding up just fine *knocks on wood*
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I've heard this noise before myself. I'm thinking it's common amongst all TC's if you drop the clutch hard enough.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it's the whimpy motor mounts. it'll crack like that if you spin the tires and they start to hop violently
Old 09-14-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think its normal... i mean i've chirped second pleanty of times..... and b4 when i did it it never did it... now iam not even shifting that hard.... and iam swithing lik eat 4 max most of the time when it happens. I dunno i guess ill just go put up with dealer bull
Old 09-14-2005, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member

Default I hear the exact same noise

Ive been researching this for some time now with my own tC and it does the exact same thing when doing a quick shift... and you dont even have to be at a high rpm to get it to do it going from second to third. But i do hear the noise from 1-2 2-3 and sometimes 3-4. There is also another issue i have with a noise that might be coming from the same place thats causing the cracking noise, and thats with simple everyday shifting... its a clunking noise when you are about to put it into the next gear "kuh-klunk" and then again when you let the clutch out. this happens in 1st through 4th and gets worse the more it warms up. like i said this noise even occurs when shifting at 2500 or 3000 rpm. Both of these noises bother me and i think there is something wrong with either the synchro's or with the clutch not doing its job right or a mount somewhere... maybe even the bearings in the drive shafts coming out of the tranny.. i dont know. im taking it in saturday for the dealer to replace the roof for the creeking sound, and have them check out the cracking, clunking, sounds that transmitions shouldnt make. Oh and my linkage also squeeks when changing gears... it sounds like scion didnt do a good job of putting together perfectly good parts which otherwise wouldnt have these problems.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Knowing how the dealerships work .... they will be like... weeelllll .. i had my technician drive it and we cant hear anything..... but i guess i'll call tomorrow and make an appointment.

Iam really thinking about selling it and getting an older WRX (frog eyes). I've had about 10 warranty replacments already... i've had it for 5 months. And now this cracking?
Old 09-15-2005, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Thats pretty scary
Old 11-08-2005, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get this scary crack sound as well when hard shift on my TC. Sounds like some thing is going snap! Anyone ever figure it out?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

Yeah, I get a ridiculously loud banging sound coming from what sounds like the engine hitting the firewall when I quick upshift or downshift....taking it to the dealer in an hour or two....

Quick Reply: Cracking sound when shifting hard ???