2005-2010 [ANT10]

custom RB1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

dude.. why? Just buy ebay intake if you really dont want to spend money.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

wow...A++++ must read again!!!! Recommended!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM

lol glad it makes u laugh
Old 06-15-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and if anything thats going to hurt performance

you have a small PLASTIC tube (which is going to not keep the air as cold as aluminum or something eqv) additionally you have lots of bends that are unnecessary restricting the airflow and not keeping it smooth. ALSO i bet you didn't smooth out the inside on the joints. if anything that'll be worse than stock. GL with your run. you're gonna get clobbered. also if i ever showed up to a show with that i wouldn't be alowed in. So go buy a cheap ebay piece. its better than that piece of ****
Old 06-15-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

sorry to break it to you but metal is a great conductor of heat meaning cai and sri made of metal suffer heat soak.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

agreed but they also dissipate heat well their thermal conductivity coefficient is high
Old 06-15-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

their only plus is a smooth inside which reduces turbulence, plastic insulates thus keep air cooler which is the basis of the GFI design, I would never recommend doing this to my car but atleast he has the right idea with materials (plastic in general)
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

But the air travels trough the pipe real fast. Where the opening is what important (and the flow).
Old 06-15-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by nebster
agreed but they also dissipate heat well their thermal conductivity coefficient is high
true but with a constant heat source (the engine) it will not be able to dissipate heat.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its not real smooth have you ever made a joint with pvc pipes? the joines are like 90 degree edges. you're better off with a continuous piece of material
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM

and again i dnt go to shows i only put that in and i also said i dnt plan on showing off my motor until i have a turbo put in. and of coarse i wouldnt go to a show with that y would i when i have a aem CAI in my garage also. this is just an experiment to see how trhis does comared to my friends when he gets here with his. and if i dnt run around or near the same time that i did when i had my AEm n which was a 15.3 then ill switch it back but until then im keeping it n for ***** n giggles
Old 06-15-2007, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR
true but with a constant heat source (the engine) it will not be able to dissipate heat.
true but if you have any air moving through (in an engine you will) it will be able to dissipate the heat to the air better. rather than a pvc pipe. with the pvc pipe and the continuous heat it will just warm up. at least with the aluminum or such material you have the ability to cool it down faster. the pvc will not make the air colder. quite the opposite. it will warm it up due to all the ambient heat. and when you turn the car off it will take longer to cool down.

more *hot laps* at the track
Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dakid19
and again i dnt go to shows i only put that in and i also said i dnt plan on showing off my motor until i have a turbo put in. and of coarse i wouldnt go to a show with that y would i when i have a aem CAI in my garage also. this is just an experiment to see how trhis does comared to my friends when he gets here with his. and if i dnt run around or near the same time that i did when i had my AEm n which was a 15.3 then ill switch it back but until then im keeping it n for ***** n giggles
how old are you to where you can afford a turbo but can't afford a 50 dollar ebay intake?
Old 06-15-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

its not real smooth have you ever made a joint with pvc pipes? the joines are like 90 degree edges. you're better off with a continuous piece of material
oh dont get me wrong he could have used better materials to maximize plastics effeciency.

and the air does travel at some speed but considing the length of pipe from the fender(inside the engige comp.) to the TB and the turns to get it there and the extreme heat there is a heat soak problem with every intake

but in the end there are very differences between intake when it come to preformance.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dakid19
how old are you to where you can't afford a turbo but can't afford a 50 dollar ebay intake?
I ALREADY HAVE A AEM CAI i took it off to make this and no1 said i couldnt afford a turbo i already ordered it im waiting for it to get here so i can put that in. im 19. but this was made cause i was bored so i decided to go out and buy some PVC pipe and make a custom CAI until my turbo gets here cut if it makes every1 happy ill post up a pic of my AEm with the custom 1 so every1 can stop saying "Y didnt you just buy a ebay one" and thats Y. i already have 1. i was bored and decided to make my own
Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well thats not something i would post up haha
Old 06-15-2007, 03:25 PM

lol but yea i do have 1 i made this 1 cuz i was bored. lol bad things happen when im bored what can i say
Old 06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a bad idea plain and simple.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BigMURR
true but if you have any air moving through (in an engine you will) it will be able to dissipate the heat to the air better. rather than a pvc pipe. with the pvc pipe and the continuous heat it will just warm up. at least with the aluminum or such material you have the ability to cool it down faster. the pvc will not make the air colder. quite the opposite. it will warm it up due to all the ambient heat. and when you turn the car off it will take longer to cool down.

more *hot laps* at the track
That's actually the opposite of the truth. Metal is a terrible material to make an intake out of. Plastics simply have less capacity for retaining heat. An aluminum intake will heat to whatever the underhood temp is (generally in the 140º area) within a matter of moments, and not cool down until the underhood temperatures themselves lower. That's basic heatsoak.

I've not done any investigation into the efficacy of PVC pipe-- it just looks too horrible-- but I know that the GFI works, so I stick to that.

You're absolutely right about the joints, though. It's nearly impossible to get a seamless joint in solvent bonded pipe.

edit: I forgot to mention-- people seem to think heatsoak is a non-issue, because the incoming air cools down within a few moments of the car moving. That is completely incorrect. The ECU draws it's information on IAT from the MAF. If the MAF is heatsoaked, it doesn't matter how cool the inlet air is. For the first 30 seconds or so of acceleration, it's going to retard timing and feed less fuel because it thinks the intake air is hot.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

Thank you dr. iso someone finally backed me up.

Quick Reply: custom RB1 intake