Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dan Gardner and JD Scion tC Take Two Poles and Two Firsts in

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

March 28, 2007

Dan Gardner and JD Scion tC Take Two Poles and Two Firsts in World Debut of Car

Testing Session at California Speedway Shows Great Promise as Team Wins Both Days at NASA’s Season Opener

TORRANCE, Calif. — Just days ago at California Speedway, the Jackson-Dawson Scion team took two pole positions, two wins, and a class track lap record. It was supposed to be a test weekend. The car had never seen the track, and driver Dan Gardner hadn’t logged a single lap in it. Still, the car performed well for a first outing, and the team was rewarded with two unexpected victories in the PTE class.

"I started out slowly, just feeling things out…the suspension, the brakes, the engine," said Dan Gardner. "The car was fairly easy to drive, and confidence built throughout the weekend. We learned a ton about what we need to do to make the car competitive at Nationals, but what a great first showing. We’re all thrilled, and it reinforces our position that this platform has great potential."

On Friday, the team got everything dialed in, taking lots of tire temperatures and making adjustments. Unfortunately the spring rates of the Progress shocks would need to be upped to keep the car from riding on the bump stops. The team combated the accompanying understeer by making radical adjustments to tire pressures and by setting the custom Progress one-inch rear swaybar on full stiff. By mid-Saturday Gardner was able to induce oversteer and drive around the problem. Lap times improved as the car was able to rotate, and by Sunday Gardner had ripped off a 2:03.594 best lap time. Not bad for a car with a totally stock motor and suspension that was still being sorted.

The team also competed in NASA’s Time Trial series, running in TTE. They took the class win on Friday, but only managed a second and third on Saturday and Sunday respectively. More power is in the cards for the car before the next event, and then even more before Nationals.

In the team’s core series, Performance Touring, the car really shined, executing many passes under late braking, even with the stock braking system still on the car. Of course it was enhanced by Carbotech race pads, Goodridge stainless lines, and quality brake fluid.

On Saturday’s race, Gardner would secure the pole, get a great start, and go on to win the race by almost a full lap. The start was particularly good, as Gardner dipped inside of turn 3, and snatched several positions early on. From there the race was mostly a coast.

Sunday’s race would prove to be quite different with more competitors and an awful start. A group of cars “jumped” the green flag, checked up, and then a group of Porsche 944s proceeded to crash into one another before the flag even dropped. It was an accordion effect, and Gardner was stuck in the middle, coming just inches away from being sandwiched.

The green flag then dropped, as Gardner was literally parked on the inside of the track. Just about every car he outqualified rushed past, as the team lost perhaps a dozen positions including one to an in-class Toyota Celica. It was time to play catch-up. Only half a lap later Gardner would simultaneously pass the Celica and the leading Spec-Miata. From there Gardner put as many cars as possible between him and the second place car. All in all, he would move up 15 positions over 12 race laps to take the win, again by almost a lap.

“It wasn’t an ideal situation with the way the car was handling and a lack of power,” said Lead Engineer Mike Kojima. “We really had to finagle things to work around the problem, but it was still a great first showing for the car.”

Before departing for the race, Toyota Motorsports advised the team that the car would fuel starve at a shocking half-tank. This turned out to be exactly the case, as in the right-hand infield hairpin the power would completely go away…sometimes at even more than half a tank. It’s a problem the team will address soon, but for now they’ll just monitor fuel levels closely.

The engine oil would run up to 260 degrees F and the power steering fluid would reach almost 280 degrees, as it boiled over. Both systems will need coolers installed soon. On a positive note, the stock cooling system never got over 210 degrees, even with ambient temps moving into the mid-90s.

“Again, I would have loved to be there, but I’m just happy I was able to crank on the car before the race and make sure it was ready for its debut,” said Chief Mechanic, Chris Viscovich. “The race definitely doesn’t begin at the starting grid. It’s a mantra the entire team lives by.”

The JD Scion tC is currently fitted with

• Scion-supplied OE and TRD parts

• Nitto 225/45R17 NT-01 tires

• Enkei RFP1 17x8 wheels

• Recaro Pole Position Seats

• Progress Technology coilovers, rear swaybar, and camber bolts

• Kaminari carbon fiber roof

• NST underdrive pulleys and shifter bushings

• AIT carbon fiber hood

• Wild Pony Motorsports-supplied camber/caster plates

• Dezod-supplied stainless clutch line

• Goodridge stainless brake lines

• Carbotech XP10 and XP8 brake pads

• G-Force 5-point harnesses, racing suit, gloves, and helmet

• TRD/AEM intake

• DC Sports Header

• Hose Techniques silicone hoses

In addition, tire mounting, balancing, and repair are performed by America's Tire Co., tuning is done by i-Speed, alignment is performed by M-Workz, car care products are supplied by Mothers Polish, body work is done by Royalty Auto Body, team clothing is supplied by turn3, and dyno testing services are done by Harman Motive.

Images from the California Speedway event can be found at http://gallery.aboutgardner.com/gall...edwayMarch2007.

The JD Scion tC can be seen competing next on April 14 and 15 at Buttonwillow Raceway, just outside Bakersfield, Calif.

Jackson-Dawson Communications (JD) is a 25-year-old privately held company that provides creative and strategic services to a range of national clients. Core competencies include retail training, event marketing, marketing services, business theater, video and media production services, meeting planning, print graphic and design services, staging service and vehicle management.

With corporate offices in Detroit, MI, Jackson-Dawson also maintains offices in Torrance and Irvine, CA, Manhattan, NY, and Spring Hill, TN. Jackson-Dawson owns and operates several divisions: Peloton Creative Group, BenMar Communications, Drivers Talk Radio and Drivers Talk Testing.

-###-
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^thats noice!!! watching this thread! pics would be nice!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics right here!

http://gallery.aboutgardner.com/gall...edwayMarch2007

Here's a sample from the gallery:

Old 03-28-2007, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Love this pic...

Keep up the great work, also keep me updated later in a month if you have more free stock parts to give away!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah he kicked butt that weekend at california...that wreck on sunday was mind boggling though...and kinda funny...and he overcame it big time!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there was a like a battle between you and the orange/purple accord during your race on sunday..

haha you won.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

that accord was how i determined where his standing was in the race...once he passed him, i knew it was over! Must need a little more torque
Old 03-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Wow, the whole thing about fuel starvation is enlightening. Is this because of how the fuel tank/pump is designed? Are there plans for a fuel cell on deck?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Fuel starvation is one thing, those oil temps are quite another. I'm beginning to understand why Toyota engines sometimes sludge out.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Holla!! dang another pole Dan? When and where are nationals?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i believe they are in september, and they are in Ohio.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacktc
i believe they are in september, and they are in Ohio.
Yes, Ali is correct. I posted a whole schedule in a thread of its own. You can go here though too for info on nationals:

http://www.nasachampionships.com/home.html
Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats dan! keep up the good work - fighting the good fight for the scion community!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by suvving
congrats dan! keep up the good work - fighting the good fight for the scion community!
Always!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Congrats on the Great Showing!

The fuel starvation sucks,

I ran across that at the first event I used my R-Compounds. I have to be pretty much at 3/4 of a tank or better. Although I can't modify my car since I'm running stock class, I'd love to hear what changes are needed to run on under 1/2 a tank of gas.

Good luck. Keep kicking a$$.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Congrats on the Great Showing!

Originally Posted by Scion_South
The fuel starvation sucks,

I ran across that at the first event I used my R-Compounds. I have to be pretty much at 3/4 of a tank or better. Although I can't modify my car since I'm running stock class, I'd love to hear what changes are needed to run on under 1/2 a tank of gas.

Good luck. Keep kicking a$$.
Jonathan...Toyota Motorsports worked with ATL to make a surge or accumulation tank that fits inside the OE tank. We'll be putting one in soon. Problem then solved.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its awesome to a see a tC professionally driving in something other than a striaght line. EXCELENT WORK!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats what im saying ^

however i love all forms of racing.