Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dealer Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:07 PM
SL Member

Default Dealer Fees

I am buying a TC soon and stupidly thought I would pay just MSRP plus destination charge... it comes to my attention now that dealers will probably slap all kinds of fees on top of this... Before I try to go work on this for my sale, I was wondering what others have had to pay in fees for their cars?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

msrp+delivery+dealer+tax+any extra accessories that you get.. dont recommend anything from the dealer except floormats and maybe the lip kit.. too expensive tho
Old 04-23-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

plate and registration fees
Old 04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^oh i forgot extended warranty if you want it
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We bought my car outright when we got it.

2006 FM tC with the iPod upgrade as the only option, just under 22k out the door for everything.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

You will pay for the car, the destination fee (on the sticker), a dealer doc fee (varies from dealer to dealer), taxes (state and county in some cases), drive out tag fee (if you have to have one in your state), and your license plate (if it is included in the price). Other than that, everything would be optional equipment (ie: accessories, gap insurance, extended warranties). I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, you can PM me directly.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the answers!

I am specifically concered with dealer fees such as prep fee, advertising fee, floor planning fees etc... you know... the screwey ones that most people consider padding (I consdier destination charge the only really legitimate fee and the dealers make $$$ off the holdback).

I am going to ask them not to prep my car (I can take off stickers and vacum it myself) and not test drive it (I will test drive it myself before taking delivery) so really they only have to install fuses and bulbs as applicable.

I suppose I could do the tax and license fees myself as my dmv is literally 1 mile from the dealership..

I will be going in to get an out the door quote tonight but just wanting to know what the competition out there is doing in terms of fees before hand...

Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Go back and read what everyone else said. Theres no other fees. If a Scion/Toyota dealer is charging you for anything other than the MSRP, tax, accessories, destination fee, and registration fee, they can lose their lisence to sell Scions.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Devedander
Thanks for the answers!

I am specifically concered with dealer fees such as prep fee, advertising fee, floor planning fees etc... you know... the screwey ones that most people consider padding (I consdier destination charge the only really legitimate fee and the dealers make $$$ off the holdback).

I am going to ask them not to prep my car (I can take off stickers and vacum it myself) and not test drive it (I will test drive it myself before taking delivery) so really they only have to install fuses and bulbs as applicable.

I suppose I could do the tax and license fees myself as my dmv is literally 1 mile from the dealership..
There is no holdback on Scions. That is one of the ways they keep the cost lower. I do not believe in the doc fee myself, but every dealership I have worked for has had one. There are a few out there that don't charge one, but they are hard to find. There should be no prep fee for the car (none that should be passed on to you at least). Also CarbonXe, you are wrong. I can charge whatever I want for these cars. I can discount them (never would) or I can mark them up as much as I want (never would do that either). The catch is that the charged price matches what is on the dealers web site and is the same for everyone. If I had 8 white tC's in stock and wanted to get rid of them, I could put it on my web site that all white tC's are going to be sold for $500 below sticker. As long as it on my web site and is offered to everyone, I am compliant. Also, if I was determined non-compliant by Scion, they would not take away my license, I would just lose 30% of my inventory. I have been selling Scions since their launch and have done a lot of research on this, so I do know what I am talking about.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:49 PM
SL Member

Thanks scionteammember... that's interesting to hear because my dealership told me specifically they have to sell at MSRP or they loose their franchise... not 30% and they said there is no way they can sell other than MSRP except ifit's last years model.

Sounds like they were fibbing...

So going into this, hopefully there is only a dealer fee and hopefully it's pretty small... other than that plus tax, title and doc there should be nothing else?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Devedander
Thanks scionteammember... that's interesting to hear because my dealership told me specifically they have to sell at MSRP or they loose their franchise... not 30% and they said there is no way they can sell other than MSRP except ifit's last years model.

Sounds like they were fibbing...

So going into this, hopefully there is only a dealer fee and hopefully it's pretty small... other than that plus tax, title and doc there should be nothing else?
There should be nothing else involved with the purchase. Take the MSRP (if you are getting any accessories, make sure they add them into the sale prce and not another line because the taxes would be more on it that way) add the doc fee to that price and multiply by your state tax. Add in your license fee and that should be it. The only reason I would not have them wash your car is if you are getting a dark one because they have a bad tendency of swirling. Let them clean the inside though because that to me is part of the doc fee and also let them do the licensing. It is easier and would cost you the same than if you did it and would save you time and let them earn their doc fee. My doc fee is $299 and I have not seen many lower than that, but I have seen them go up to as high as $700. That is absolutely absurd to me. Check their web site and make sure everything adds up and you will be ok. I will be at work tonight until 7:30 pm Central time if you have any questions. I am here to help anybody that wants or needs it.

Also, about your dealer. I do not think they where fibbing to you, I just think they didn't really know what they where talking about. I have run into this plenty of times in the past. Always ask for some free stuff though. Ask for some hats or even an iPod or something. A lot of dealers will do this sort of thing because they can hide the cost. I have never done it, but I have seen it done. Good luck and holler at me if you have any questions!!!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Don't forget about your free tank of gas!!! It says you get it on the window sticker. I have heard of dealers not filling up cars.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pay full price and help the dealers make money
Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Steventc07
one way to "cheat" the system is to find a dealer that has a low processing fee and then go to the dealer that is closest to you and ask em if they wanna sell you a car. Then make it seem that if they will not sell you the car with the cheaper processing fee you want then you will go and buy it somewhere else where it will be cheaper. BTW with scions you can have them shipped to another dealer for free so if the higher priced has the exact color and trans u want u can have it shipped no prob. My dad and I figured out how to haggle on a car that has a price that can't be haggled . O and BTW if they flash all sorts of deals like free oil changes and what not, make it seem that you are not gonna be in the area anymore. Unless you want those deals. You gotta play hard ball with these guys they make a living out of persuading people into getting crap they don't want i.e. exspensive shift ***** and crap like that
Why would you want to cheat the system of something that was set up to benefit customers? That sounds like about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. It is because of people like you and your dad (not dealers) as to why Pure Pricing is such a hard philosophy to understand. I am a straight forward dealer and don't try to force anything on anybody. I explain what it is and if you want it, great, if not, we move on. If you aren't strong enough to say no, that is your own damn fault. I have a tC myself and paid sticker for it just like my customers do. How can I expect my customers to pay it if I won't? You can get a car dealer traded to any dealership that you want. With that being said, find a trust worthy dealership and buy from them with confidence. Also, why would you lie to a dealership? What the hell is that accomplishing other than making you look like an a$$? You want dealerships to be honest, but you don't give the same courtesy....
Old 04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
SL Member

While I think the term "cheating the dealer" gives it a very negative sound, I think you have to recognize also Thomas that many car dealers are not as wholesome as yourself...

While dealers don't have to "lie" to get extra money (all kinds of bogus fees and such can be slipped in as if they are not negotiable) buyers may have to be creative in how they counter the logic for these fee's being there..

I am not trying to point fingers or take sides, but I can say there are definitely scrupulous sales people out there who need to be paid for the time and services they offer, and there are the type who make sites about car buying tips so popular...

Glad your not one of the l latter Thomas, but you know other types exist... those who slap $700 doc fees onto a purchase. I suppose they aren't lying when they say that's the fee for the services they provide you, but it's hardly an honest or fair.

BTW whie the fee standard may come from the dealership and not the individual salesman, I don't seperate the two in my eyes. One represents the other and if either does something unscrupulous, they both are.

I am off to check out what the dealer can tell me about this at this point in time. I have already had a somewhat negative experience (they told me that I was wrong when I showed them the toyota press release about the 09's costing the same as the 08's... I know they don't need that info getting spread around while the 08s are still on the lot, but it's one thing to just not confirm, but another to tell me "no, your websites are wrong, we would know if this was true, so it's definitely not") so I am hoping for the best... wish I lived in TN, would be buying from you instead Thomas!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Carmax.com

Only a fool would buy a new car.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionteammember
Why would you want to cheat the system of something that was set up to benefit customers? That sounds like about the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. It is because of people like you and your dad (not dealers) as to why Pure Pricing is such a hard philosophy to understand. I am a straight forward dealer and don't try to force anything on anybody. I explain what it is and if you want it, great, if not, we move on. If you aren't strong enough to say no, that is your own damn fault. I have a tC myself and paid sticker for it just like my customers do. How can I expect my customers to pay it if I won't? You can get a car dealer traded to any dealership that you want. With that being said, find a trust worthy dealership and buy from them with confidence. Also, why would you lie to a dealership? What the hell is that accomplishing other than making you look like an a$$? You want dealerships to be honest, but you don't give the same courtesy....
yes I did sound like a complete _______ in the way I phrased what I was trying to say. BTW the reason that we did that is because even after buying 3 other vehicles from them the dealer wouldn't hook us up with any repeat customer discount. Which to me is pretty fcked up
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 AM
SL Member

Interesting... the quote they gave me has

Total price 17620
Total fees 240.75
Total taxes 1414.00

They agreed not to take the stickers off or wash the car so I can do it myself but still do all the rest.

So not so bad after all... Didn't ask for free stuff but there is still time for that as I am waiting for an 09 and they aren't likely to show up until late next month...
Old 04-24-2008, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

We took off all of our stickers ourselves as well.......but mainly because it was one of the first 08 SCM off the boat in US.......Tacoma is the main port from Japan other than San fran for cars...........and be sure to get you tank of gas with it so expensive........our dealer also offered to was and detail the car........we let them do that........it was beautiful when we drove it home........and we did not want anyone to touch it........LOL.......our dealership had no odd fees and was great.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Carmax is a great idea. Lets buy a car from an overpriced dealer that has no clue about their cars. Case in point. Here is an awesome deal on an RS 2.0. I didn't realize they where black cherry in color though...

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/...eet.aspx?KNo=7

Here is another one for you.It is a white 2007 5 speed with 10,000 miles for the wonderful non negotiable price of $16,998. I thought cars depreciated more than $600 for what you might as well say 2 years since the 09's are on the way and 10,000 miles.

http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/...eet.aspx?KNo=2

Wonderful idea. The 09's are the same price. I already have them priced on my web site because I have 3 on the way to my dealership now.

I guess I take offense to what a lot of people say on here because they say stuff without thinking or doing any research about what they are saying. The sad part is that I should be getting ____ed at other dealerships as well. I apologize for getting defensive earlier, but the dealers you speak of ____ me off so badly and I hate even being associated with them. If any of you have any questions about what a dealership is doing and whether or not it is compliant, let me know and I will share all the info I have for you. Another thing you can always do is call the Customer Experience line if you have a problem with a dealer. I can tell you that most dealerships take calls from there VERY seriously and things should get straightened out for you pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: Dealer Fees