Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Dealer Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
SL Member

You have 3 09s on the way already? My dealership says they show no accessibility to 09's (not even pricing) yet and they say I probably won't have my 09 until late may at the earliest as their paperwork shows what's coming through mid may already and there are no 09s...

I think I am dealing with a used car sales lady instead of a scion salesperson, however I have talked to 3 people there so far and none of them knew BRM was available on TCs and their Scion manager still doesn't know (or admit) that the 09's are coming along let alone the same price as the 08s (which I have told them many times and even quoted the official toyota lexus newsroom quote).

I am dealing with a large dealership in northern california so I would think if anyone is getting some they would... but I do have to kind of question things considering how little they seem to know about scions.

Do east coasters get them early or something?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

I have one 09 tC and 2 09 xB's on the way to my dealership right now. They should be here in about a week and a half. Blue Ribbon Metallic is taking the place of Nautical Blue on the tC and has been doing so over the last couple of months. They are gradually getting rid of the NBM. I got the pricing sheet for the 09 tC's and xB's about a week ago. The tC's are the same and the xB's went up $100. If you have a fax machine, I would be more than happy to fax you a copy of it to show your dealer.

On another note, your dealership is starting to worry me as well. They should know this stuff because it gets e-mailed to them all the time. I should not be getting my stuff any earlier than they are. If anything, it should be the other way around. What dealership are you using? If you are uncomfortable with them, you should go elsewhere. That is what I would do if I where you. Just remember that buying a car is a big deal and if they are this much of a hassle when trying to get the car, just imagine what it will be like if you have a problem... At least they are being straight forward with the price of the vehicle though. If you need anything or have any questions that you want answered pretty quickly, give me a call at my work number.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jBoRiCuA
msrp+delivery+dealer+tax+any extra accessories that you get.. dont recommend anything from the dealer except floormats and maybe the lip kit.. too expensive tho
lip kit yes, floormats HE!L no!!!!!! $100 when you can get better for less

ya they say pure pricing but you have registration and licensing fees, tax's (which you can write off on next year's taxes)
Old 04-24-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by GQQSE13
Originally Posted by jBoRiCuA
msrp+delivery+dealer+tax+any extra accessories that you get.. dont recommend anything from the dealer except floormats and maybe the lip kit.. too expensive tho
lip kit yes, floormats HE!L no!!!!!! $100 when you can get better for less

ya they say pure pricing but you have registration and licensing fees, tax's (which you can write off on next year's taxes)
The floor mats are more than $100. They are $171 to be exact.

What do registration, licensing fees, and taxes have to do with pure price? I can't help it the state takes that. If you want to, take it up with them...
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i just meant the pricing is pure pricing, its the rest of the stuff that rapes you, i didnt say they had anything to do with it, just that they add on quite a bit to it, since mine was like 18000 and once taxes and fees all said and done i was up to over 21000
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by GQQSE13
i just meant the pricing is pure pricing, its the rest of the stuff that rapes you, i didnt say they had anything to do with it, just that they add on quite a bit to it, since mine was like 18000 and once taxes and fees all said and done i was up to over 21000
The rest of the stuff does rape you. Think about this for a second. The state tax for TN is 7% (ridiculous as hell). You pay that on the vehicle new. When you sell the car, the new owner also pays that amount on what they paid for the vehicle. Talk about double dipping!!!! Here is an example for you:

Sales Price on new vehicle- $20,000
Taxes paid on new vehicle- $1,537.51

Same vehicle sold to another person used after trade in: $15,000
Taxes paid on used vehicle purchase- $1,179.49

The state just made $2,717 on the same vehicle being sold twice!!!! I wish there was a way we could stop this!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:52 AM
SL Member

I thought when trading in a vehicle the amount of the tradin was deducted from the taxable amount of the new vehicle purchased.... thus the tax on the sold used trade in is not actually a double dip, but rather a differed tax on the new car purchase.

Private party sales however... are absolutely double dipping.

How about property tax? You get taxed on the same item every year for the life of the property!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

I have no clue about the property tax issue.

When you trade a car, you get taxed on the sales price minus the trade allowance since you have already paid taxes on the trade. When the dealership sells the used car, the state collects taxes on it again from the new owner.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't beleive you can't bargin for extra's at no extra cost. I got mudflaps, mats and cargo mat for free. Scions have a set price, but Dealers can throw in extra's for free if they want.

jjp
Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionteammember
I have no clue about the property tax issue.

When you trade a car, you get taxed on the sales price minus the trade allowance since you have already paid taxes on the trade. When the dealership sells the used car, the state collects taxes on it again from the new owner.
Maybe I am wrong here but lets say I buy a new car for $10k (to make easy numbers) and pay 10% tax (so I have paid $1000 in taxes).

Now I trade it in for $5k towards another $10k car.

If the cars both sold for $10k new, the total taxes would be $2k (at 10%)

However my trade in knocks $5k off my second car so I pay taxes on the remaining $5k ($500).

When the trade in sells for $5k the second $500 in taxes is paid and thus the total is still $2k.

Yes I know the trade in will sell for more than the trade in price, but that's secondary. Besides the markup, the taxes still work out the same don't they?

Wish I had thought about the whole asking for free stuff earlier... after having run my dealership around (getting one car on the lot after an A trade and basically saying I would buy the 09 when it came in already) I will feel pretty lame trying to squeeze stuff out of them now.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

If the taxes have already been paid on the vehicle you trade in, why should the state be able to collect on it again? That is double dipping in my opinion.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 PM
SL Member

Because while they were paid on the vehicle at first purchased, they were effectively refunded when the vehicle was used as a trade in.

Example:

Car 2 costs $10,000

but I only paid taxes on $5,000 of it due to my trade in value. Effectively tax on $5,000 was credited to me.

When someone buys my trade in from the dealer, that tax is recollected.

So if 2 $10,000 cars are both sold full price at 10% tax, the state collects $2,000.

If the cars are bought and sold as I detail above (with the first being the trade in on the second) the state still collects a total of $2,000 in taxes which is 10% of $20,000...

Maybe I am making a math error somewhere but try cranking the numbers for yourself.

2 cars, $10,000 each and assume the trade in sells for the same price it was traded in for. We know that doesn't happen, but that is not where it sounds like the double dipping you are talking about comes from so we can disregard that for the short term.