Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Diagnosing the tC's Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to move to Shell after my tank is done with Chevron. Shell helps prevent buildup as tcvixen said and I saw it all over the Shell gas station this morning with their really big banners. I'll see how that works and let you guys know. Hopefully it's just the gas issue and nothing serious.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HR_Guy
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I have filled Chevron premium since brand new, and it recently started. I went to a different Chevron gas station (by my work instead of my home) and it went away.

I heard from my dealer that Arco gas will cause deposits to build up and make a "pinging" noise under heavy load.
Really, it pings? That's terrible ... although modern engines should never knock or ping (the ECU should just retard timing a lot to prevent that).

Hmm... I'll keep that in mind.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
Scikotics
SL Member

Yea, BP is also very good. If its not Shell I hit the BP. There both next to me. Theres an Exxon too but Exxon is just way too expensive.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Originally Posted by HR_Guy
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago. I have filled Chevron premium since brand new, and it recently started. I went to a different Chevron gas station (by my work instead of my home) and it went away.

I heard from my dealer that Arco gas will cause deposits to build up and make a "pinging" noise under heavy load.
Really, it pings? That's terrible ... although modern engines should never knock or ping (the ECU should just retard timing a lot to prevent that).

Hmm... I'll keep that in mind.
I had an 03 Civic before my tC. When I was still in college, I filled the cheapest gas I could find. The engine would ping, even though I heard the same thing you mention, that the ECU should be retarding the timing and it shouldn't be happening. But the problem was, the grade of gasoline was so poor that it still would ping going up hill. They had to do a top engine clean, put a detergent and leave it in the car overnight, for it to clear the deposits. It was expensive too so I learned it wasn't worth the small savings to fill cheap gas.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if arco is BP.. BP hasn't caused anything wrong with my engine.. actually compared to other fuels.. My mileage increased by 2-3 mpg. Yes I did the right measuring over time.. same speeds, same temperature outside, etc..

So I don't see how the dealer would be able to prove that the arco if it really is BP is bad.. Because I've been using it for awhile now, and no problems..
Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mileage doesn't dictate quality.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well actually it can.. because if a fuel isn't "clean" then yes the deposits left behind would contribute to a lack of fuel economy over time. and I haven't had that.

Plus if a fuel wasn't quality, meaning it was dirty. Would lead to deposits, pinging, etc. Which I'm not having.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 AM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do know that no matter who you get your gas from, chances are, they were all from the same pipeline/refinery! So really, no, fuel really can't be "dirty". At least US consumers really won't have to worry about this these days.

The only difference between the brands are the additives. Different companies all have their blend of additives they add to their gas. And the additives would be the key factor of quality today (only real difference).

Also, money can also be saved at the gas pump. For example, they can save money on maintenance of the station, accepting cash only, or holding back on upgrading their pump. There has been a few instances where pumps were so ill maintained that water seeped into their underground storage tanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HollY Cheese Nugguts!...I thought I was only having this Problem....
It is a cool day and my Hotnezz is outside while I work and get in to start it take a couple seconds more to Turn-it Over etc...But on a Warm day NO problems...

What about UpGrading the Grounding Wires to a Fatter Gauge??....

or those Load Equalizers??
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
Scikotics
SL Member

I use to put cheap Delta type gas in my last car an 01 civic.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I found it's that Chevron is Chevron no matter what location you get it from. My car still struggles to turn over. So once my tank is done, I'll switch over to V-Power Shell which helps eliminate the gunky buildup and claims they have 5 more times the cleaning addictives which can also eliminate the start up hesistation. If that doesn't work, I'll clean the MAF sensor and air filter.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear
So I found it's that Chevron is Chevron no matter what location you get it from. My car still struggles to turn over. So once my tank is done, I'll switch over to V-Power Shell which helps eliminate the gunky buildup and claims they have 5 more times the cleaning addictives which can also eliminate the start up hesistation. If that doesn't work, I'll clean the MAF sensor and air filter.
I use Chevron...I doubt it could be the gas type...

when you turn the key its the Electrical sys. the needs to power the Starter Thus turning over the engine so it starts up....
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, it could be that too along with numerous of other things. That's exactly why I'm trying to break it down and see what it really is. I'm starting with gas type since that's the majority of the people's suggestion and mine. It's pretty easy and it doesn't require any "extra" money to be put in.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Driven Girls
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7thgear
"V-Power Shell which helps eliminate the gunky buildup and claims they have 5 more times the cleaning addictives which can also eliminate the start up hesistation"

Thats what I meant to say. But my terminology was off.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
if arco is BP.. BP hasn't caused anything wrong with my engine.. actually compared to other fuels.. My mileage increased by 2-3 mpg. Yes I did the right measuring over time.. same speeds, same temperature outside, etc..

So I don't see how the dealer would be able to prove that the arco if it really is BP is bad.. Because I've been using it for awhile now, and no problems..
Go to any arco station and look at the sign and the pumps... They ALL have BP logos and signs at the bottom. Better yet, just go to their website.

All gas usually comes from 1 of 3 main producers; conoco, standard oil (chevron), or shell. They in turn resell this stuff to smaller resellers and or independents. The main differences come from the dryregents they add at the pump, and the quality and cleanliness of the gas tanks at the pump.

87 is 87 is 87, which means it has a certain octane rating and a certain resistance to combustion. I highly doubt that a starting issue has to do with the quality of gas. Yes, poorly maintained pumps can be exceptionally dirty, which can lead to ping and knock, but it's rare with today's strict gov't regulations.

IMO, I'd suspect your oil LONG before I'd consider the gas to be the cause. Oil viscousity has much bigger role in starting than fuel, as cheap fuel ignites prematurely (causing knock), which would actually HELP starting. Cheap oil looses viscousity when it is not at operating temperature, and makes starting more difficult, and can create more wear on your engine.

And on the topic of detergent, adding detergents yourself (and I'm not talking about Tide or clorox) will net similar deposit preventing effects...

Are you all running 5-30 or 5-20, per the TSB?

And PS, don't take dealers' and dealer service techs' words as golden. Many never even graduated college and most have no idea what they are talking about. It's best to do research from QUALIFIED resources than take Joe $5/hour's word for it.

PS, no offence to the 1% of tech's who actually know what they are talking about.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm running 5W-30 as stated on the oil cap with Mobil 1 fully synthetic. 2006 tC. I doubt it has to do with oil. I'm already running the top/highest quality of oil.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

There was a TSB released to use 5-20. In fact, all 07's state 5-20 on the cap.

I've got 25,000 miles on an 07. I use cheap fuel and use 5-20 oil; just the standard stuff, nothing special. I have NEVER EVER had a starting issue. My car starts beautifully and easily, hot or cold (and I've taken it to colder climates too).
Old 05-03-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If eveything I tried fails in the end, then I will consider changing oil weight from 5W-30 to 5W-20. But I heard changing oil weight is not good though?? But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I trust Toyota ENGINEERS much more than I trust any poster on this board (with the exception of maybe engifineer or Thomas). If Toyota tells me to change the oil to 5w-20, I follow their advice. But I have an 07 and it expressly states that -20 oil should be used.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 PM
SSQ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been proven that tC will run fine with both 5w30 and 5w20. toyota has released a bulletin for Scion tC that from the year 06 on, 5w20 can be used. I personally stayed with 5w30 and as long as I get gas from 76/arco, I have no starting issues so I don't think it's oil weight that's causing it.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing the tC's Starting Problem