Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Diagnosing the tC's Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya'll know that just about all gas is just about the same when you're getting regular and plus... they only start making a difference with detergent when you move up to the premium... like chevron with techron, super clean amoco/bp, shell vpower.. you don't get the benefits of those until you get the premium.. just my 2 cents.. hehe
Old 06-04-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, just giving an update. As my past post stated my car had only done it about 3-5 times since I've gotten it back in July 06. It's and 07, no problems at all. This past weekend I had to take out my CAI to clean out the dust build up in it. Took the cables off my battery to take it out. Long story short, I had to take the cables off 3 times. All three times when I tried to start the car after I connected it again it chocked. Just like it did the previous 3-5 times. Kinda like shudder and die. Then on the next crank it turns right over and runs just fine. So...it would appear that its possibly an electrical issue for me. Hasn't done it before this weekend or since the pass three times of disconnecting the battery. Anyone got any suggestions on why it does it after the battery is disconnected? ECU getting power back, possibly charging for the ignition/spark system or fuel system?
Old 06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine does that everytime, here's soemthing that works. After you take off the battery and put it back on, turn the key to the on position and leave it there until the needles spike, and then start the car. It won't spudder and stall that way
Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Happy B-day Tcizzler!!....ur Old!...hahaha....
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM
SL Member

Has anyone found a fix or a cause of this? Cause mine is still doing it and getting worse and the dealer can't figure out what it is.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think its an "electrical" issue!...

when I park and in ACC mode listening to the radio for more than 15mins....ANd when I start up it Hesitates and then on the secong try it starts up....

I aint no Professional...hahaha...yea I'm guess'in Its gotta be the Electrical part of our car!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 PM
SL Member

Ya but after its been sitting off there should be no problem with the electrical right? I've let mine sit in ACC for like 15 seconds before starting it up in the morning and that seems to help it out. Stil confused as hell on what it could be tho.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I m using Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil
Old 09-28-2007, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member

everyone is getting really technical with this. here is my answer to this problem. and so far no starting problem. (cold starts after left the car over night or 12+ hours off)
knock on wood.

i began having this issue about 2 months ago, and i had just finished doing a full tune up. i had been using regular. which over here in el paso,tx is 86 octane. then my dad put super/premium which is 91 octane. all we have is 86/88/91. i went from getting about 360 miles a gallon to about 390. then the next time 415. then about 410. so i stuck with the 91 octane due to the increase in gas milage. i also thought that i got an increase in millage since my drive to work now is all highway and i put it on cruise control at about 55-60 mph.

anyway, my car had been having a hard time starting so i thought it was the spark plugs. so i bought bosh fusion platinum iridium plugs. and nope it still happened.

i put several gas treatments and nope. still was happening.

i even took it to the dealer, and since i have a cold air intake, the guy said it would be $80 to diagnose the problem. he told me that the intake was causing the issue and to take it off. but they would still charge me 80 to diagnose. i said no way, and went online(here to scionlife.com).

everyone had different fixes but some still got the starting problem.

so i decided to put a few of these together.

i took off the MAF sensor ( the one on the intake) and i cleaned it with carburator cleaner.

i cleaned the throttle body, also with carburator cleaner.
since i had heard that the oil in kn filter could dirty the sensor and i thought it was causing my throttle body valve opening thing to stick.

i also cleaned the inside of the intake tube. with just water.

i also am using 88 octane, since we dont have 87 octane.

i also put in some fuel system cleaner. i forgot what brand but its in a gold bottle. about 7 dollars.

the first time i started it, it sputtered a little, but this was because of all the dirty stuff that i cleaned out in the throttle body.

now whenever i turn on my car in the morning, it turns on just fine. no more cranking and cranking and car feeling like it was choking.

i hope this helps some of you. so far its been about 2 weeks, and i havent had any issues.

worth a shot, in my opinion.

i copied this into a few of these starting problem posts.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member

i have a 2006 scion tc
auto w/cai
just in case anybody wanted to know
Old 09-28-2007, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i figured is it ISN'T a gas issue. I tried different brands and different octane levels of gas and it still happens. it was so bad one day, just one day, where the car would barely start up, make a whole bunch of clicking noises, stutters and shakes like it drowned in water, then starts up again by itself. that really freaked me out.

but i've been doing an experiment lately and it has work for the past week. when i start the car, i turn the ignition to ON and just leave it there. i wait for the needle sweep feature to complete, put my car in neutral, seat belt on, wait about 10 seconds, and when i start the car up, it starts up like a champ! loud, strong and proud! and i've been doing that for the past week and it seems to work. tomorrow, i'm gonna try to start it up quick and see if it stutters.

i read somewhere that when the key is in the ON position, fuel and oil are being injected into the proper places and i guess it just takes awhile for it to get there. so by waiting for it, the car will start off better, rather than starting the car immediately, when no fuel or oil is in.

by the way, this only happens in the morning, cold starts. and i have a manual 2006 tc with cold air intake and trd exhaust.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Recently I've put a remote start on my 2007 auto tc, and now it seems like the starting up issue when the car is out in the cold has gotten worse for me. Tonight after getting off of work, it was pretty windy outside and i sat in the car for too long, I think it took like 20 tries it seems like until it finally started. I don't know what the problem can be.