Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Does the TC attract cops or what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC doesn't attract cops...speeding attracts cops.

NO - you won't get off on the ticket because it says toyaota sedan.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if I were a cop, and I saw a dodge caravan and a scion tC both going 10mph over the limit, I would chase the tC. Make sense to subconsciously go after the faster "looking" car. I suggest changing your truck driving style a bit. Ive had 1 ticket in my 11 yrs of driving, and I was able to talk it down to a non-moving violation, which is equivalent to a parking ticket. But I still had to pay a fine of $100. So my driving record is still 100% clean
Old 03-10-2005, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm turning 20 this June and have been driving for 4 years. I have never been pulled over for speeding and I've had my 92 Celica (Black w/ tint), my 91 MR2 t-tops (Red), my g/f's old Celica All-Trac Turbo (Red), g/f's dad's 76 Stingray t-tops (White), and now my g/f's tC (Flint Mica). Neither one of us have gotten a speeding ticket in those cars. She did get one in her mom's dodge caravan for doing 36 in a 25.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

crap, i was talking to my the secretary at my work a few weeks ago, one of her friends works for the da's office. she said that there is actually an article you can file that will prevent them from notifying your insurance about the ticket. anyone can do it, its just that very few people actually know about it
Old 03-10-2005, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i test drove a tC yesterday and after zipping along on some backgrounds i pulled back onto the main road and headed towards the dealer. I glance in the mirror and who do i see, but a shiny blue state trooper. I starting laughing thinking about how i was about to get pulled over while test driving a car when luckily he passed me and took off down the road. The salesman and i had ourselves a good laugh. excellent car by the way.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Does the TC attract cops or what?

Originally Posted by tc4joe
Someone told me that if the cop makes a mistake on the ticket that you may be able to fight it. I know i was speeding, but I really can't afford to have my insurance skyrocket. He descibed my car as a "Toyota sedan". Does anyone know if this car could be considered a sedan? I always thought it was a coupe.
HAHA the same crap happened to me like the second week I owned my car.. the cop even put the damn car down as a "two-dr Toyota station wagon"... WTF?

I highly doubt it would be worth the trouble to fight a ticket based on those grounds alone.. I had wondered the same thing. Believe me, it's easier to just pay the ticket and get on with it, you're caught.

Edit: Oh and btw- if you don't report the ticket to your insurance chances are your rates won't go up.. mine never did.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read that ticketassassin.com site, interesting information. I don't live in CA, but I would recommend those in CA that haven't been to this site to visit it ASAP and learn your rights as a CA citizen!
Old 03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LEOs don't have quotas in writing, that's illegal. Some agencies do "suggest" that you give out at least some amount of tickets. It's one of those unwritten de facto rules. That said, if you speed or peform illegal manuvers unreasonably and get caught, you deserve a ticket.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For your benefit, it would be better than people regard our cars as a sedan or station wagon- my tC got defined as a sedan for the insurance, and has helped to lower the premium. Who cares what some idiot cops think.

I got a fix it ticket for not having a front license plate and the cop called my car a Cion.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just realized the cop never asked me for my insurance card. Do you guys think they would actually put in the effort and try and find my information and then report it to my ins. company?
Old 03-10-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

i dunno about other states, but for california -- the police to not "report" your ticket to your insurance company. the ticket is logged as part of your driving record as a normal part of processing the ticket with the DMV. then, when you apply for insurance or have your insurance renew, your insurance company requests a copy of your driving record. that is how they find out about tickets.

and cops seem to write more tickets on some days vs. others because sometimes they are making an extra effort to get people to slow down. it's like any rule or law. people are aware of it, they obey it, then they start to ignore it. sometimes we need "reminding" as a society.

we all know about roads where "everyone speeds." that's because the police are generally not enforcing the speed law there. they don't enforce it for one simple reason: there are a finite number of officers and an infinite number of places and ways for people to break the law.

there are no quotas and cops generally are people too. they know we love our cars and more often than not they let stuff slide because they are human. sure, occasionally we find a cop (or department) who's terrible but in general cops don't want to be the "bad guy." treat them with respect and 99% of the time, they return it. if you were really speeding, don't say "i dunno" when they ask you if you know what you did wrong.

all of that said -- no i am not a cop (my cousin is, though) and yes i have tickets on my record. i've gotten tickets in every car i owned ('84 mercury cougar v8, '94 mazda miata, and now '05 scion tC). the tC doesn't attract cops any more or less than other typical cars. the only cars which might attract cops would be exotics like a ferrari, and those would only attract cops because they are exotic. (they don't just attract cops; they attract everyone)
Old 03-10-2005, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scinergy

i just read over ticketassassin.com.... forget the part i said about saying "i don't know" when you're asked if you know why you were stopped.

good info there. i wish i'd known all that before my last citation.... speeding in the miata on the 57 north at the junction with i-10. trooper really didn't know how fast i was going; he estimated it and said "i know you were going faster, but i'll write you up for 75 in a 65". oh goodie!!! it's like christmas with the CHiPs.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any ticket you get you should atleast make the effort to fight. Most states might make you pay and extra 10 or so in court costs if any. Worst comes to worst your ticket doesn't change, they can't make the fine any worse. Best case senerio they throw it out. Alot of judges will throw out the points and lower it to the lowest possible moving violation with no points. In Pa it's 105 no points.

Even if you lose, you atleast took a shot. Talk to any cop an they will tell you to atleast fight it. You might get something hell in some areas (usually busy ones) if the cop doesn't show it gets dismissed
Old 03-10-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
not in ill. my friends mom is a cop well a detective now for auroa and she said they dont have quotas
Cops normally say they don't have Monthly quota's, but if you specifically ask them about a quarterly one they'll generally set there jaw and glare, atleast here in MD they do.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

Sports cars and sporty-looking cars always attract more attention from the po-po. Especially if they are brightly colored, red or whatever.

You might invest in a radar detector if they are legal in your state. The Valentine One is widely regarded as one of the best.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by johnnyicesae
any ticket you get you should atleast make the effort to fight. Most states might make you pay and extra 10 or so in court costs if any. Worst comes to worst your ticket doesn't change, they can't make the fine any worse. Best case senerio they throw it out. Alot of judges will throw out the points and lower it to the lowest possible moving violation with no points. In Pa it's 105 no points.

Even if you lose, you atleast took a shot. Talk to any cop an they will tell you to atleast fight it. You might get something hell in some areas (usually busy ones) if the cop doesn't show it gets dismissed
I agree - FIGHT IT! Use the ticketassassin.com site for great info.

In CA, we don't have traffic lawyers, a lawyer would cost you more than the steepest fine. It's always worth fighting. Do it by written declaration first, if that doesn't work, you can request a new trial and they don't raise the fines on you if you fight. In fact, you can often get the judge to lower the fine and/or still assign traffic school.

And this is a good item to read:

What to do/say when you get pulled over.
http://ticketassassin.com/visorguide.html
Old 03-11-2005, 01:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im 19 and i live in s.f. i was driving back from san jose..cuz thats were i go to school. i got pulled over for going 95 on the freeway. damn ticket was like 2 bills... afterwards..i got myself an excort 8500. works pretty good now...saved me couple times.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by llgotscionll
im 19 and i live in s.f. i was driving back from san jose..cuz thats were i go to school. i got pulled over for going 95 on the freeway. damn ticket was like 2 bills... afterwards..i got myself an excort 8500. works pretty good now...saved me couple times.
Those couple of times that the radar detector saved you probably made it so that it payed for itself. considering that each ticket you get costs around $200, the $400 that you were just saved made up for the $400 charge the radar detector cost you.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

do our tc attract cops? My answer, yes as I already have one ticket in my tC
Old 03-11-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by aarontrini85
not in ill. my friends mom is a cop well a detective now for auroa and she said they dont have quotas
Your friends mom is correct, Cops have "goals". I know, I know, its the same damn thing. BTW, I'm not a cop.

Quick Reply: Does the TC attract cops or what?