2005-2010 [ANT10]

DONE with this paint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default DONE with this paint!

I'm SICK of this paint! I've got a BSP and it Buloooooows! I've never even considered getting paint before, but I am now. Any advice? What do I need to ask, expect, etc? TIA.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

if you choose to stay BSP, it's not going to be that difficult. Just make sure that they can blend the engine bay, door sills, etc with the exterior.

make sure they completely sand everything off and start with bare metal, prime, and then paint.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:10 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yes the same color is easy. If you go a different color MAKE SURE ITS DONE RIGHT. But that means alot of money because you will want all jams, engine bay trunk matched to the new color. I would say 3 grand for a proper new color paint job.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

^try more like 6-8k
Old 08-27-2006, 01:13 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ouch..THAT MUCH??
Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

2-3 I can do. 6-8? I'm gonna miss that car
Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

How bad is it??? I couldn't imagine it being bad enough for a couple grand...pix?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'll try to get some pix. It'll be hard to see. You can only see how bad it is in the light, and then you get weird reflections.

The paint chips I can understand. It happens. The thing I can't abide is the bird crap damage! I had a load of bird scat on my car for less than an hour and it ATE THROUGH THE CLEARCOAT! That was with wax! I now have to park my car by my window at work and check on it. I keep a bottle of Meg's Quick Detailer to get it off. This is going to go on forever.

I took it to the dealer here so a Scion rep could look at it. I'm told it's not a factory defect... Tough nuts! This is my 3rd Scion. None of my others had probs. My wife's xA is a 2006 and it doesn't do this.

I'll shoot for the pix tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've always wondered what those $500 Maaco paintjobs get you...
Old 08-27-2006, 02:40 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My guess on maco is a spray and go. I payed $500 to have a bodykit painted that was off the car and already to go.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

paint starts flaking off within 2 1/2 months. They never even sanded the original paint, they just sprayed over the smooth surface. my black trim became white. My exhaust tip became white. My wheel wells were white. the silver insert pieces in the bottom of the door were never taped off and as such, they became black.

utter crap. that was my first car, 1994 chrysler concorde.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The paint will be easy if you stay the same color but you can get a better quality paint. If you do get a dupont base/clear job that will last a lot longer and you can use a compound to get out any defects. A factory paint job is a low quality laquer enamel that means that the base and clears is mixed instead of sprayed in two lvels. depending on local prices, 1k-2k is expectable, as dupont is the best paint you can buy, that is all my family shop uses.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

make sure they completely sand everything off and start with bare metal, prime, and then paint.
They dont need to go to bare metal, it is better if you dont, the metal is sealed and they will not seal it again, because it is a lengthy expensive process that they figure you cant tell . but in 10 years you paint will turn the color of dookie after taco bell.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DJSupaFly
They dont need to go to bare metal, it is better if you dont, the metal is sealed and they will not seal it again, because it is a lengthy expensive process that they figure you cant tell . but in 10 years you paint will turn the color of dookie after taco bell.
Very disturbing imagery

Thanks, everyone. I really love this car, but I also like my cars to look good. I think Toyota put together a great car for the price. I also appreciate no one saying "What do you expect for a cheap car." That really yanks my yang! I expect a coat of protection around my car, duh!

I'll look into the paint. Maaco and Ear Scheib are definitely not on my list. I think a couple of cans of Krylon would be comparable. IMO, the car is definitely a couple of K for a decent paint job. I think it was reasonable priced in the first place, and I have a great time in it.

Thanks again, everyone.

BTW, any of you guys near Memphis? Just wondering if anyone has any place they suggest.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

do you want a custom job or a single color
Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Custom would be nice, but probably too expensive for me. One other caveat being everyone and their little brother will prolly want to race me. I'm old, Man. I'll prolly hit the track for fun, but I'm not street racing.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ever thought about vinyls for a custom look. you can get some really nice ones. at the shop we do alot of people like you who want custom look with out custom bill. they can lay a nice base clear job and then throw on some $129 vinyls and your car looks tremendous. If you are artistic there are companies that will turn you art into a vinyl and cut it, then send it to you. you can take it to a shop and they can throwit on in an hour. if you ever get sick of it, peel it off and wash and wax your car, and you've got a super clean, still fresh paint job.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

we go through vinyl expressions, google them to see what kind of stuff they got. High quality vinyls, and they can even make one for you if you or someone you know is artistic, that way you know there will never be anything like it again. That is a good feeling, trust me.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Pat, too bad you didn't keep the Lava after all. You could also try an outdoor cover while it's at work. Just a sug.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im in the same boat! bsp blows! its chips swirls scratches even if you baby it!!!!

Quick Reply: DONE with this paint!