2005-2010 [ANT10]

DONE with this paint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jethro_b
Pat, too bad you didn't keep the Lava after all. You could also try an outdoor cover while it's at work. Just a sug.
Doh! I just got done posting on the local board telling you about this! I should've known you'd already know it was here
Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by melvynray
im in the same boat! bsp blows! its chips swirls scratches even if you baby it!!!!
Yup. Swirls all over. It's beautiful at nite, tho. Guess I'll have to limit travel to after 8pm
Old 08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Pat, I PMd you on SE with some ideas.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, my dad owns a body shop. I'm not fond of the paint on my RSX-S either. So I was asking him about getting it repainted and a different color.

He said it's typcially 3-5K for the same color, and tack on another 2-3K for a different color. OUCH!

He advised me that it's probably not worth it. Main reason for the cost is like another has said before me, it's the labor of doing it RIGHT. Removing windshield, doors, weatherstripping, etc. to get it done right. Otherwise it just peels off starting with the edges. Price varies because depending on the car will dictate how much crap they have to remove and how difficult it is to remove it. Generally speaking, the actual painting isn't that bad. (For single colored cars with no graphics)

Z
Old 09-14-2006, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

No. you should only have to pay around 3.5k for a full color cahnge paint job. Not 6-8k. That is only if you want ridiculous airbrushing or something along those lines. That is ridiculous. I am getting a guy at MY SHOP to paint my car Cadillac Champagne red and it is only costing me 2200. He is the best in the area and he said that it would be around 3500 to 4k for a stranger to get a full color change. Done right.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear a lot of people complaining that the tc paint sucks but in reality every car forum i have been a part of complains about pain. My first was in 2000 i had a GTS celica, everyone complained of chips on the front, 01 Acura CL-S, same thing and people complained about color matching between the bumper and the rest of the car. 05 G35 coupe, people were so ****, one girl would not drive her car anywhere for a month until she got her clear front bra. Now the tc....i don't want my paint to chip either but i guess its normal for more cars to do this, i guess its a way to cut down on price.

Sux too, because i have bsp, no problems yet **crosses fingers**
Old 09-14-2006, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member

I think paint has just gotten cheaper over the years in general. I had a '93 Camry before the Tc. When it got a chip you could see the depth of the paint was there... it's not on the Tc... it's as thin as I think you could get.

The Camry was Dark Emerald and every chip or rub showed on it. That's one reason I went with SSM when I purchased the Tc.

When I compare that to the paint on my gramp's 54 Chevy you can tell what used to go into paint. That stuff is as thick as posterboard and with a regular polish can look just as good as when it was new.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that is because the paint that is used by factories is a laquer enamel. Unless otherwise stated. It is a cheap paint in which thebase coat and clear coat are rolled in to one coat. You just spray and then let it cure. It is ridiculous. That is also why if you look closely at new car pant, you can see tiny circles, tha look like the surface of a golf ball but smaller. With a base coat clear coat job, the finish can be as perfect as your skill will allow.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did u try a nice wax and buff yet. I had that problem too. its way better now!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member

Default New tC w/bad hood paint

Today (Friday) was supposed to be the day I picked up my spanking new flint mica tC - I did get as far as trading the old car and paying for tC, but right before I am about to see the car they tell me they just noticed that there's defective paint.

We go look at it, and yes there is a problem - light colored streaks on the hood. Not really obvious, but you can see them if you look. Kind of like water spots only streaks. It reminds me of what I've seen when you leave a car cover on a car too long.

(I really don't think the dealer knew about the problem until the last minute - it was a rainy day and it's plausible that they didn't notice it until they were finishing detailing and drying the car).

Anyway, so now I am driving my old car as a loaner, and on Monday they're supposed to tell me when the problem can be fixed, and how long it'll take. I told them I didn't want repainting - I wanted a new hood or a new car. They assured me that they wouldn't be repainting, but who knows?

So, I can't say my Scion experience so far has been that great, but I'm keeping my hopes up!

By the way, suppose they do replace the hood - how will I make sure I don't get rust around the bolts? Aren't the cars dipped at the factory after the bolts are on?
Old 09-16-2006, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

"Yep, my dad owns a body shop. I'm not fond of the paint on my RSX-S either. So I was asking him about getting it repainted and a different color.

He said it's typcially 3-5K for the same color, and tack on another 2-3K for a different color. OUCH! "

I don't know about that. I just had my car repaired after it sustained hail damage (that didn't do a lick to my fiancee's 94 buick lesabre, BTW). The whole car was refinished and repainted (same color), minus the bumper covers and running boards. Minus the cost of the new windshield, it was about $2400. And that includes a great many hours of body work to smooth out the hail damage.

This is an A++ shop.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: New tC w/bad hood paint

Originally Posted by sashazur
Today (Friday) was supposed to be the day I picked up my spanking new flint mica tC - I did get as far as trading the old car and paying for tC, but right before I am about to see the car they tell me they just noticed that there's defective paint.

We go look at it, and yes there is a problem - light colored streaks on the hood. Not really obvious, but you can see them if you look. Kind of like water spots only streaks. It reminds me of what I've seen when you leave a car cover on a car too long.

(I really don't think the dealer knew about the problem until the last minute - it was a rainy day and it's plausible that they didn't notice it until they were finishing detailing and drying the car).

Anyway, so now I am driving my old car as a loaner, and on Monday they're supposed to tell me when the problem can be fixed, and how long it'll take. I told them I didn't want repainting - I wanted a new hood or a new car. They assured me that they wouldn't be repainting, but who knows?

So, I can't say my Scion experience so far has been that great, but I'm keeping my hopes up!

By the way, suppose they do replace the hood - how will I make sure I don't get rust around the bolts? Aren't the cars dipped at the factory after the bolts are on?
At least you have been forwarned about the many Scion paint issues. Most likely the discoloration will go away after the car spends some time in the hot sun. For some reason moisture can get under the clearcoat and look foggy. This happened to mine when the bra got wet while it was hot. The moisture got under the bra and soaked into the paint. It took a week or so for the fog spots to go away. Never seen nothing like it before.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I use to think that the paint issues were more individual complaints than anything else, but I can say with complete confidence that the paint on these cars SUCKS.

I'll try and post some pictures up soon - I have one year and 20k mainly highway miles on my car and the front of it is just sad. It's more pockmarked than a pimply teenagers face.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lummox before you go painting your car, get some 3M glazing compound from a automotive paint dealer, and apply a small amuont and buff it out, this will not only remove scratches but the bird splatters. I too have a BSP and had a couple trouble spots, applied this out of the sun and buffed it, CAR LOOKED LIKE BRAND NEW, believe me if it is done right you will never regret it.