Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Don't go trading that TC for that new Cobalt SS just yet..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bigwillystyle23
id never own a chevy. EVER i dont like american cars and i especially dont like chevies.
x2 even if it makes 1000hp i still wouldn't buy an american pos
Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was talking about cars with my neighbor (he has an awesome 700 plus hp 1957 chevy bel air.) he as asking me how i like my car now that it is supercharged and what i planned on doing with it, and said that one thing the japanese figured out a long time ago is how to built an amazing engine, especially the bottom end. something that chevy, ford and dodge never did, so when you do anything to them, they just blow.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

swap turbos, get a boost controller, and id rock it.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
you haven't been reading have you?

what was said earlier is that the car is already maxed out from the factory. the engine/transmission can't handle anymore power, so if you want to upgrade it, you have alot of hard and expensive work ahead of you.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

lol, my bad.
no i didnt feel like reading anything.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber

what was said earlier is that the car is already maxed out from the factory. the engine/transmission can't handle anymore power, so if you want to upgrade it, you have alot of hard and expensive work ahead of you.
The engine can handle a LOT more power, the ECOtecs are VERY strong, its the tranny that is the problem
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aRucard
That is a mighty narrow-minded statement.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paulky_2000
Originally Posted by aRucard
That is a mighty narrow-minded statement.
i like some american cars, mainly the corvette, but the car still feels cheap. and rattles, and it cost more than twice the price of the tC. and my 1995 ford explorer. OMG did that thing just go to pieces before the 150K mark, and i put so much money into keeping that thing on the road.

the problem is that GM, Ford, and Dodge let the accountants build the cars instead of engineers or the designors.

american car manufacturers have all the talent and technology in the world at their disposal, so why can't they make cars as good as the competition?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll say it THIS way:

I don't care to buy a NEWER American car. The pride and workmanship is long gone as far as I can see.....

But to lay down a blanket statement about ALL American cars is just foolish.....in my own opinion, of course!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats the point of this thread?? lolz. no one would buy that ___ american crap car. hahaha.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

all i can say is my roommate wont shut up about the damn car, yet he has a cobalt ss/na and it sucks, always throws CEL's, clutch is always going bad, ect.... wouldn't trust this car at all. didn't look like much at HIN when i looked at it. for being a turbo set up you can tell its a factory as it looks like it is nothing big compared to what others do to theirs, and its about the same price as turbo's a tc when looking at price tag
Old 05-14-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zebman
Boost is boost, regardless of turbo size.

Low compression for mileage during non-boost driving possibly? I don't know.
Boost is boost, yes. But boost =/= airflow.

That's why a Cobalt with a tiny ___ turbo on 21 psi puts 260hp out, and a Supra with a giant turbo the size of a watermelon on 21psi puts 800hp out.

Boost is the most pointless, overused measurment used in turbo applications.

The Cobalt SS still has the exact same engine as it always had. The 2.2L Ecotec. Just now it's turbo'd instead of being supercharged. There are plenty of them out there putting 500 down. That Ecotec really is a beast. The car is maxed out from the factory, on the factory turbo. Yellow was right by saying swap turbos. A bigger turbo on lower boost would result in more power because it will allow for much more airflow.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I'll say it THIS way:

I don't care to buy a NEWER American car. The pride and workmanship is long gone as far as I can see.....

But to lay down a blanket statement about ALL American cars is just foolish.....in my own opinion, of course!
You sort of hit the nail on the head with this statement. But you missed the fact that today's American cars are :

Toyota Tundra
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
BMW Z4

'American' manufacturers don't build in bulk in America anymore, the majority of production is in Canada and Mexico. Soon to be China.

But I agree with you. Real American cars are the icons from the 60's and early 70's.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member

Sure, its fast outta the box, but at what cost? Is the reliability there? Longevity? When its all said and done ... its a glorified Cavalier.

...which coincidentally Toyota distributed in Japan and manufactured a TRD body kit for.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed...essor_map.html

Here ya go. I found an article for any of the retards who think boost is a more important factor than CFM's.

It's also another reason why Honda's are the best vehicles on the market to boost. MAP > MAF.

Go ahead. Try to argue. You'll get stfu within 2 posts.

Kthx.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spicy_McHaggiz

The engine can handle a LOT more power, the ECOtecs are VERY strong, its the tranny that is the problem
That and I wonder how it feels to drive a front drive car with ridiculous HP.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ It blows. That's why almost everyone who reaches 350+ on a FWD car decides to sell and go to AWD/RWD.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have to admit, that Im all for the new SS turbo, and I may be getting one if my buddy who works for GM can pull through a deal.

My biggest concern is reliability and value. Anyone who has owned a "run of the mill" GM car knows that the addage "the value drops 50% when you drive it off the lot" actually applies to GM cars (as with most American vehicles). I have not found this to be the case with the foreign stuff if it is taken care of.

Further, this buddy of mine who works for GM has told me horror stories about how poorly some of their vehicles are made. In short, imagine a car comming off of the line bent and a group of guys putting a saws-all to the frame, bending it into place and putting it on down the line - the quality with an American car is always an issue, as they have to feed the unions.

I dont like the looks as much as the TC, but the new SS seems to me almost a done deal in terms of mods, ect. It comes from the factory with 18" wheels, big brakes, 260 hp turbo/boost gague, good stereo, ect. I cannot think of what more I would like to do to that kind of car.

Im sitting on a 2006 TC, with the awful bazooka sub, and am thinking about getting 18" wheels, upgrading the stereo, and would like more power, so if the price is right and the quality seems good, I cannot think of a reason why not to go with this car - that is if we still have gas by the end of the summer.

I would really like to hear from someone who has actually driven one of these or a recent supercahrged version - because if its anything like other GM cars that I have driven - I will be sticking with the TC.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Originally Posted by Zebman
Boost is boost, regardless of turbo size.

Low compression for mileage during non-boost driving possibly? I don't know.
Boost is boost, yes. But boost =/= airflow.

That's why a Cobalt with a tiny butt turbo on 21 psi puts 260hp out, and a Supra with a giant turbo the size of a watermelon on 21psi puts 800hp out.

Boost is the most pointless, overused measurment used in turbo applications.

The Cobalt SS still has the exact same engine as it always had. The 2.2L Ecotec. Just now it's turbo'd instead of being supercharged. There are plenty of them out there putting 500 down. That Ecotec really is a beast. The car is maxed out from the factory, on the factory turbo. Yellow was right by saying swap turbos. A bigger turbo on lower boost would result in more power because it will allow for much more airflow.
You might want to do some research guy. The Cobalt SS S/c has always been a 2.0L LSJ motor while as the new SS T/C will be a 2.0L LNF motor. The SS has never had a 2.2L L61 motor. The 2.2L is used in newer cavaliers, cobalt ls and lt's. The SS NA has a 2.4L with VVT shared technology with that of Toyota.

There are actually very few SS S/c'd cobalts putting out anything past 350 whp. The 300 whp mark is a hard one to reach and pass with the SS S/c because of a weak tranny and the supercharger. The tranny case has actually broken because of wheel hop on stock SS S/c's let alone those with 300 hp. There are a few streetable 350+ whp cobalts BUT its taken quite a bit of work.

The SS cobalt has always been quick, but a _____ to get a lot of RELIABLE hp out of. Not a bad car, but definetly not high on many peoples lists.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I'll say it THIS way:

You sort of hit the nail on the head with this statement. But you missed the fact that today's American cars are :

Toyota Tundra
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
BMW Z4

'American' manufacturers don't build in bulk in America anymore, the majority of production is in Canada and Mexico. Soon to be China.

But I agree with you. Real American cars are the icons from the 60's and early 70's.
Corvette is still made in America, just along with the cobalt and most saturns. The cobalt is made in ohio along with its saturn counterpart the ion and I believe one or two other vehicles (don't hold me to them). The Corvette is made in Kentucky (been there and a very cool and high tech building) along with its cousin the XLR. Even the motors for the Corvette and the Cobalt are still American made. Plus the transmissions for GM HD trucks are made right in Indy. Not to mention Subaru has a very large plant in Indiana that is the only plant as a natural wildlife preserve where they build the Tribeca and one other car, and Toyota is even trying to build out of the space. And I believe the 08+ Impreza's final assembly is somewhere in Washington state.

Theres still quite a bit of car making going on in America, you just can't be blind to it. (aka search)

Quick Reply: Don't go trading that TC for that new Cobalt SS just yet..