2005-2010 [ANT10]

Doors swing too wide?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Doors swing too wide?

I did a search and, while I did get some bizarre results, found nothing on this topic...the door on my tC is so big and swings so wide that I keep hitting cars parked next to me (haven't dinged anyone else's car yet) or the big white bollards at the gas station. now I've got a bit of white paint on the edge of my IIP door. not cool, man, not cool.
does anyone else have this problem and has anyone done anything to protect the edge of the door?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nope.. in fact, i rather have a car that has its doors opend wider. easy to get in and out. but im paranoid wen i open doors so im always cautious on how i park
Old 09-21-2004, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member

Dooood...you didn't notice that before you bought the car??? Just because the door is big doesn't mean you have to swing it all the way out when exiting or entering a vehicle unless you are a complete fat ___. In that case, you shouldn't park so close to other cars or the gas pump!

Anyway, there are nifty door edge guards that come in black, silver, and gold that slide on to the edges of the door that you can get at any store. I used to get them everytime I bought a vehicle and they work great!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a really strange idea...but it just might work...How about - be more aware of how wide you are opening your door.

Like I said...a little bit wacky...but it may just work.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually on two door cars, the doors are bigger and longer. It does take some getting used to. I do wish there was another handle on the door (closer to where the door opens) which would help "catch the door". One complaint from a newspaper indicated the door was heavy which I think is great in case I get hit. I am sure if the door was light then he would have complained the car would do terrible in a wreck. Can't win....

Kevin
Old 09-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Banned
SL Member

The TC is made for old ladies, just like other cars the in the same class....It's hard to hold back my laughter when the owners call it a sports car.....Not a thing sporty about it.....
Old 09-21-2004, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree. i almost hit it on a cart rack, cause it swings out SO far. DOH!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As others have said, when you open your door, hold on to it!
Old 09-21-2004, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
The TC is made for old ladies, just like other cars the in the same class....It's hard to hold back my laughter when the owners call it a sports car.....Not a thing sporty about it.....
Sporty Spice isn't really sporty...but they call her sporty...
Old 09-21-2004, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Then I guess Scion missed its mark. I have yet to see an old lady driving a tC but I have seen a TON of tCs out on the road. Good work Scion.

Guess marketing is not your fortay, Cyber.

Kevin
Old 09-21-2004, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yah, I know everyone wants to say "Gee, just be careful... ", but I agree. Of course, this is the first two door car I've owned. Everytime I open the doors, it catches in one spot, but then wants to fall out a bit further due to its own weight a little later. It's not the weight of the door, I just wonder why it needs that extra play in it.

That being said, I haven't hit anything with my door. I'm insanely careful with my car (not in driving), so typically there aren't cars around me when I park anyways. And, when there are, I'm OCD in how I manuever around it.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member

If you want for a small price about $3 you can get from your auto parts store a rubber seal to go along the doors edge (clear or black). It doesn’t look too tacky and might help avoid minor scratching to you and your neighbor’s car.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes the doors swing wide. Yes the door is big. Yes, this is a two-door coupe. Yes I've hit walls with the doors. No there will be no TSB or recall for this. No this is not a design flaw.

Just get the door guards that people have mentioned.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just do what lamborghini does get lambo doors if your doors are too long. thats the only reason why lamborghini has the doors that open up their doors are reaaaalllly long.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Ever try opening the doors of a '79 Ford LTD "Coupe" in a parking lot? The tC is nothing compared to that.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No correction your entry level c-class is an old lady's car...hardly ever see anyone under 40 driving it.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member

haaa! Yepper, I just sold a 78 T-bird in which the width of the car doubled when the door was open. It would fly with both doors open.

The TC ain't nuttin....
Old 09-21-2004, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeh, the doors are huge. just be aware. to protect them, you can put the clear 3M stuff on it. i'm not sure where you buy it, a guy at our dealer just comes and does it on cars.

basically it's like car tint material, but clear and thicker. you clean off the edge of the door and apply a little strip so it covers the outer edge. they have similar things out there that are usually black and rubber and messy glued.

look around and you'll find something you're satisfied with
Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3 IGs

Sporty Spice isn't really sporty...but they call her sporty...
WTF?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

3rd day I had my tC a lady friend of mine wanted to check it out, we were getting the last windy remnants of Ivan still so I was going to tell her to hold unto the door so it doesnt blow open all the way, but I decided she had enough common sense to hold it. Not 2 seconds after that thought popped into my head, the wind blew the door towards a camry right next to me, good thing I parked far from it cause the door missed it by 1 1/2 inch.

I shouldnt expect that much from a blonde.

Quick Reply: Doors swing too wide?