2005-2010 [ANT10]

Drifting the tC? 0H NO3Z!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

IT does, but the car understeers too much stock IMO. I like more oversteer (you have to remember I grew up on RWD, which is more optimal to start with).

Regardless of how the car is set up, you should know the car and its (And your) limits if you are going to drive it hard. So it all comes back to the driver. If I oversteer, I am usually expecting it and can keep it in check. If not, it is due to a mistake on my part.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but, to get oversteer on a FWD, wouldn't it take one hell of a stiff rear? I mean, it is still FWD...
Old 01-20-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There are a LOT of factors that have to be considered about what could have been the cause. I haven't seen any mention of the tire width or compound. The condition of the lane is a huge factor. The XB weighs almost 500 lbs less in stock trim.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
After you dropped your car, did you ever get an allignment done? Sometimes when you do a low drop like that and don't get it alligned the tires are not completly flat on the ground. Which in turn = bad handling...

That's not necessarily true. Negative camber will slightly diminsh straight foreward traction (acceleration and braking), but will provide more grip while turning... to an extent.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
but, to get oversteer on a FWD, wouldn't it take one hell of a stiff rear? I mean, it is still FWD...
Nope. The tC in stock trim can be a snap oversteer beast. Inducing oversteer on a stock tC is easy.

1. Go into a corner at a quick pace
2. Mid turn, either let off of the throttle (if you are still on it) or jab at the brakes
3. Weight transfers to the front of the car in either case causing the rear to step out.
4. Try not to kill yourself or anyone else (if applicable)
5. Put on fresh undies (again, if applicable)
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
Originally Posted by paul34
Nope. The tC in stock trim can be a snap oversteer beast. Inducing oversteer on a stock tC is easy.

1. Go into a corner at a quick pace
2. Mid turn, either let off of the throttle (if you are still on it) or jab at the brakes
3. Weight transfers to the front of the car in either case causing the rear to step out.
4. Try not to kill yourself or anyone else (if applicable)
5. Put on fresh undies (again, if applicable)
TRD undies? "Provides additional support for increased control during hard cornering"

Yea, I realize that lifting off the throttle can screw you over, but I meant... if you just go in still on the throttle
Old 01-20-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
After you dropped your car, did you ever get an allignment done? Sometimes when you do a low drop like that and don't get it alligned the tires are not completly flat on the ground. Which in turn = bad handling...

That's not necessarily true. Negative camber will slightly diminsh straight foreward traction (acceleration and braking), but will provide more grip while turning... to an extent.
To an extent like you said, But alot of times people drop their cars and it never sees an alignment. You can have a little negetive camber which will help in the turns, but to much will resukt in inner tire wear that is caused by driving on the inside of the tire.. Anybody that does anything to the suspension other than sway bars should get an alignment period. It will help handling and tire wear, tires are expensive..
Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

stiffen up ur suspension
Old 01-20-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

A FWD does understeer naturally more than a rwd. But simply saying a fwd will not oversteer is untrue. Any car will oversteer in the right circumstances. And placing a stiffer rear sway will make it happen easier. In the case of the tC, a slightly stiffer rear balances it out nicely.

Again though "snap" oversteer is most of the time an excuse for not knowing your car well enough. Lifting the throttle in a turn causes throttle lift oversteer, which will happen in any car. It is a poor driving unless you lift it slightly to cause a controlled and slight drift when needed. If you lift the throttle quickly while turning, you simply are cornering poorly and came in too hot to begin with.

Again, it all comes back to knowing your car and driving it properly.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, after going through it over in my head a couple of times, i think it was due to lift-throttle oversteer.

ah well, to the autocross track i go.

engifineer, as always, your input is amazing

btw, my suspension is within stock alignment specifications. I got an alignment 2 weeks after the springs were installed.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ooo man i thought i was the only one, except im on stock suspension......and tires, idk if any1 is familiar with the L.I.E. on long island but i was going on the exit from the L.I.E. to the seaford oyster bay and its a big 2 lane turn, i always take it at around 70 in 4th gear, i hit the turn whenever im coming home from school, and my friend has a tc as well so we were just messin around, and i didnt realize the road was slick cuase it had rained earlier, so hes way ahead in the inside lane, i go to the outside punch it doing 80 (idk wut i was thinkin) as sooon as i pass him i feel my rear end hopping, hop hop hop hop i try to turn into the skid and swoosh complete 360 right in the middle of traffic and I HIT NOTHING AND MY CAR DOSNT EVEN HAVE A SCRATCH ON IT, i swear JESUS was riding shotgun that night, after the 360 i was in the far left lane with my car stalled facing on an angle out towards the shoulder, then i heere BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP a huge 18 wheeler is comming up behind me i turned the keys and gunned it, it was intense, i had to pulll my ***** outta my mouth after that one, just sharing a little story not to think ur tc is a handling machine and thank God im ok,
Old 01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

yeh man
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
be careful both of you
Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member