Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

E-Brake adjust

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm glad I found this thread. I agree, the way our handbrake systems are done from the factory is rather concerning. My car always "moves" a bit when parking on a non-flat surface before it catches and stops. And yes, I do make sure the car is completely held by the brake before I put it in gear and get out of the car.

It's even worse on a steep hill and a car full of people... the car will creak and groan along for a good few inches before finally coming to a stop... and that's with my handle pulled pretty tight (beyond what I normally consider "tight"). The handle is fine (I don't like to "click" it on the way up, but if I did, it'd be about 6-7 clicks), but the brake doesn't seem to "bite" as hard as it should. It's, well,

I do have a question, though. If I were to do this adjustment, would the "throw" (for lack of a better word) of the handbrake handle actually get shorter? Seems after the adjustment people are getting the same throw I've had since I bought the car. I just want to the brake to engage harder, and without me needing to apply so much force to the handle.

I don't like pulling up the handle to the point where it feels like you're stretching the cable, because not only does it not feel right, but its also rather difficult to get it disengaged when you're reading to leave.

I've honestly gotten used to the way the car moves a bit before stopping - but I've always hated it. Kind of like the way a slushie creeps forward before bouncing off the parking pin since most slushie people don't use their handbrake . Anyway, I driven a BMW 3-series manual before and really liked the way the handbrake felt in there. Again, I don't click handbrake handles, but if I did, it probably would've been at most maybe 4-5 clicks. Plus, when you engaged it, it was engaged. The car DID NOT move at all, just the way I think it should be.

I've honestly never felt comfortable leaving the car in just neutral when parked.

That's what I want. Can I have that in our tC with this adjustment? To tell you the truth, I've come to think of this particular part of our car as "weak" and cheap. Hopefully a simple adjustment will fix that.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Yes, adjusting the shoes will decrease the throw of the handle. It is physically impossible to pull mine past 7 clicks. It will hold the car on a grade with 5 clicks.

The parking brake cable and shoes coming sloppy from the factory is a common occurrence-- they don't want some tech accidentally overtightening everything, and having someone snap a cable, or worse, roast their rear brake assemblies on the first freeway trip.

I don't know why people are so generally averse to adjusting the brakes properly-- working alone at a casual pace, it's a 15 minute job.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good, thanks for the info Doc!

Hopefully I'll be installing a new Progress rear sway I purchased in the next couple of days so I'll do this adjustment while the rear wheels are off anyway :D
Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'ma have to do the adjustment myself then. I took it to the dealer over a month ago and now is back to 10+ clicks, like all the way up!! I don't get it, I guess you have to do it yourself to get it right.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They probably just took all the adjustment out of the cable at the handle.. so in essence they did it completely wrong
Old 09-16-2007, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol when i had my car for an oil change at the dealership, they adjusted it for me
Old 09-16-2007, 07:59 PM
SL Member

Doc I. many cars down my street owe their paint to you. my ebrake felt it was only sec from going out before i read your write up. thx man...
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

quick question guys. . . I don't have a jack stand, so can I do this process, one wheel at a time with my stupid crap jack, or will it mess up the tensions somehow?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 AM
SL Member

yea and walmart has a no questions asked return policy. so use and return.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did the adjustment yesterday along with my oil change. It was a lot easier than I expected. I just tightened each side and backed it off slowly until it spun freely again. Just to clarify, adjusting the e-brake doesn't affect the disc brakes at all right? I mean, I know it's a manual cable system, but I just want to be 100% sure.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just did the mod too and man, it feels great! only 2-3 clicks to full lock.

one question though. will the ebrake ever be loose again?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess i'm next on this
Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yay! the search button works! my e-brake was fine until i upgraded my rotors. the only thing that sucks now is i'll have to take off the rotor to adjust it because the stoptechs don't have a hole for it.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Something weird happened - now that this thread came up I remembered it.

I pulled up on this really steep driveway. After I adjusted it a few months ago, the handle really doesn't come up past three clicks.

I did that on that driveway (With two other people in the car), and the car actually kept rolling backwards, while groaning against the brake. I hit the foot pedal really quickly, so I'm not sure if the car would've stopped eventually, but there's no reaosn to believe so.

At that point, somehow I managed to move the handle up far beyond that third click. I don't ratchet the handle, but it came up almost as far as it used to. It was weird. But the point is that it finally held there.

How did it magically go up further? Or was it just the extra brute force I used when I sort of freaked out? After it was over I thought I was lucky that I didn't snap or stretch the cable or something.

At any rate, I'm sad to see that our brakes still aren't all that strong, even at adjusted full lock. I wish they'd make it super, super strong?
see... that's what i was wondering also. i adjusted mine about a month ago and now it seems like i have to pull it up higher than before, however it still stops at 3 clicks though, but it seems like i can pull it up to 4 clicks pretty easily. before then, i couldn't even pull it anymore than 3 clicks.... i don't know, it could be my imagination... so i was thinking that maybe the cable from the handbrake or the rotor drum got loose again. maybe?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think it's just the cable stretching over time. mine does this too. it used to be 4 clicks to lock now it's more like 6. i adjusted at the drum so i'd assume it can only be cable stretch unless the pads in the drum loosened by themselves
Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andino
i think it's just the cable stretching over time. mine does this too. it used to be 4 clicks to lock now it's more like 6. i adjusted at the drum so i'd assume it can only be cable stretch unless the pads in the drum loosened by themselves
it has to be the cable stretching over time. that sucks. so i guess once we adjust the rotor drum, the only thing we can do is keep adjusting the cable under the handbrake if it gets loose again. or just park the car in 1st/R gear without the handbrake. it will hold and prolong the cables on our handbrake and use the handbrake when you want to hold the car while the engine is on i guess.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah i guess. i'll check this weekend to see if the adjuster on the drum can be fiddled with. otherwise, i'll adjust the barrel in the handle
Old 11-08-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep us posted

thanks
Old 07-01-2009, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to revive an old thread but how is everyone's e-brake handle / tension now? I've noticed mine is just the same as some of the scions on here. I now have to pull it up just a little higher than I normally would. I bought the car in July of 08 as a 2008 model.

Quick Reply: E-Brake adjust