Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default ECU upgrade for my tC?!

Hmmm... i know nothing about ECU upgrades and who makes ECU's. and recommendations?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm new here, but I gotta ask...
...do you really need an ECU? What all have you done to your car that would require that? I've never dealt with a SCION before, but Toyota has always been good with their engines and computers. A few restrictions here and there, but nothing a few tweaks can't fix. Judging from what I have seen of the car (don't own one and have never test drove one), the tC is going to have a major backpressure issue with that primary cat on the exhaust manifold. Replace that with some sort of header and all should be good there. Especially with this S/C that is supposed to come out. Like the tC home page said... "a smaller pulley will add even more boost. Upgrading the fuel system with injectors and a Supra fuel pump will insure that the engine never gets too thirsty for fuel." I would also imagine that if anyone produces a turbo kit for the car, they would also develop some sort of fuel managment for it as well to help prevent detonation with higher boost situations. This 2.4L engine has a relativley low compression rating, so it should take well to being force fed. There are also other means for engine management out there like piggy back computers (i.e. APEXi PFC) and the such, but nothing is really needed if you only have an intake and exhaust on the car. Look for other components like a lightened flywheel, performance oriented clutches, mod chip, and maybe even mild cams to come out before an entire Fuel Management system does..... this is saying that the tC does not share it's computer with anyother Toyota out there. But then again, I don't remember seeing anything available for the 4cyl Camry in that department.

... but I could be wrong. Just my 2¢
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have a full standalone in R&D. Will keep you posted.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No kidding? Are they going to be part of a Staged upgrade package, or will they be user programable? What else are you working on for the car?

Man... the aftermarket really jumped on this one. Now I'm getting excited about possibly buying one of these things...
Old 08-12-2004, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member

i was just wondering. im not going to really get one. like most turbo kits, they are complete and come with almost everyting you need. but for me tats a long ways ahead. it was a spontaneous question i had thats all
Old 08-12-2004, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will be intergraded into stage packages and available separately. It will be 'user tunable' and will include a base map per kit or you will be able to download the map you want. Turbo is not the only application we are addressing.