Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

EMERGENCY MY SCION TC TURBO HAS BEEN STOLEN HELP I BEEN SCAM

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:55 PM

Help I cannot believe someone can get away with stealing my car.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so why don't you get a hold of the FBI and give them your VIN and have them investigate.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by mcheng08
but if someone decides to register the car, you can track the car down with the VIN?
big if there...

Your best shot was within the fist couple of hours to have police keep a look out and pull him over I'm sure the car stands out in some way. They should have looked for it because it's fraud.

Monday is too late, chop shops work fast...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck with everything man

I'm watchin this
Old 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

He reported the check lost....meaining all he has to say is that someone else used it to buy your car before he realized it was missing.......ultimate scam.....
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have the bank document EVERYTHING! Get in writing and notarized that there was a stop payment put on the check. You need to create a paper trail for what you have gone through. The more proof you can get the better. Get something from the manager that is signed and notarized saying that they released the title, that they accepted the check, that they got the request to stop payment, everything and anything you can think of.

If you say the car is registered to someone as of Monday, call the Florida DMV and see who the VIN is registered to (I think you can do that).

It sounds like you have a court battle ahead of you, so get as much paper evidence that is notarized that you can.

Good luck.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, you basically done.. First of all, on craigslist there is always people with Fake Certified Cashiers Check, in fact 99% of the people that offer Certified Cashiers Check on Craigslist are trying to scam you..Seems like you never heard of scams to fall for this..Oh and btw, when he said he's from Miami, I doubt it, he's just probably got a fake adress, also, soon the car is most likely to be shipped off to Europe or Mexico or maybe even any place you can think off. Even if you find the person, there is nothing you can do, you technically gave him the car as a gift, that's why you have to write the full ammount, I believe it even may be illegal to write 0 dollars to avoid taxes, so I don't think the government or the police is going to help you much.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Imagine how many cars he's stolen in the past by doing the same thing.. crazy thought.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

best of luck man, i will be watching this thread hoping the best for you!
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To add to what I posted before, contact your tax guy and explain what happened. See if he will document something with the conversation you had with him. Not sure if he will because it's definitely not an honest thing to admit to, but it could help your case if you go to court.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

its been said before....... get all ur papers together, even from oil changes, especially if you have any dealer papers cause usually they have VIN numbers on there from your car. Collect all those, collect the information on the bounced check, and then open a court case. i dont have to go any further into law than what i already know to know that this is a case that will be in ur favor.

the only problem is that u will need to find out where the car is, and have a lawyer. If it was a gift, why did he voided the 14k check? if it really was a gift u wouldnt have accepted the check by him. I believe the name on the check is legit since he was able to verify himself to stop that certain check from being processed. so any information you can get from the bank can help you. its better if you do this asap. the police can recover your car, but it cant recover what you have lost on there. thats up to your insurance..... you should get papers from them too stating that the car was yours.

but the only real argument you can take is that, when u released the title to him, he gave u a check thats worth 14,000. if it really was a gift, he wouldnt have given you that money nor will u cash it in. if u say u are doing that as a gift thing just to avoid taxes, you might get penalized and there might be fines, but its not worth losing over your car
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

A couple notes on Advanced Fee Fraud-

This is really important and one of the reasons so many people get taken by this particular scam.

For many kinds of checks - Cashier's checks, personal checks, bank checks, etc - regardless of the type of check - when you give the bank your check and tell them to deposit it to your account, the bank will ALWAYS take that check and credit your account for that amount- HOWEVER, the problem comes from how banks work.

From Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

"Fake cheques

Fraudulent cheques and money orders are key elements in many advance fee scams, such as auction/classified listing overpayment, lottery scams, inheritance scams, etc, and can be used in almost any scam when a "payment" to the victim is required to gain, regain or further solidify the victims' trust and confidence in the validity of the scheme.

The use of cheques in a scam hinges on a U.S. law (and common practice in other countries) concerning cheques; when an account holder presents a cheque for deposit or to cash, the bank must (or in other countries, usually) make the funds available to the account holder within 1-5 business days, regardless of how long it actually takes for the cheque to clear and funds to be transferred from the issuing bank[26]. The cheque clearing process normally takes 7-10 days and can in fact take up to a month when dealing with foreign banks. The time between the funds appearing as available to the account holder and the cheque clearing is known as the "float", during which time the bank could technically be said to have floated a loan to the account holder to be covered with the funds from the bank clearing the cheque.

The cheque given to the victim is typically counterfeit but drawn on a real account with real funds in it. With a piece of software like QuickBooks and/or pre-printed blank cheque stock, using the correct banking information, the scammer can easily print a cheque that is absolutely genuine-looking, passes all counterfeit tests, and may even clear the paying account if the account information is accurate and the funds are available; however, whether it clears or not, it will eventually become apparent either to the bank or the account holder that the cheque is a forgery. This can be as little as 3 days after the funds are available if the bank supposedly covering the cheque discovers the cheque information is invalid, or it could take months for a business or individual to notice the fraudulent draft on their account. It has been suggested that in some cases the cheque IS genuine - however the fraudster has a friend (or bribes an official) at the paying bank to CLAIM it is a fake weeks or even months later when the physical cheque arrives back at the paying bank.

Regardless of the amount of time involved, once the cashing bank is alerted that the cheque is fraudulent, the transaction is reversed and the money removed from the victim's account. In many cases, this puts victims in debt to their banks as the victim has usually sent a large portion of the cheque by some non-reversible 'wire transfer' means (typically Western Union) to the scammer. Some victims have even been prosecuted for fraud in the scammer's stead, the argument being that the victim "should have known better" than to participate in such a scheme, and thus was a willing conspirator in the fraud."
Old 02-27-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

umm... the check is not fake... he went to the bank and reported it lost, thats why the voided that whole check
Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

In this particular case, the scammer and the person who owns the account in FL are the same person right? Is the account in FL confirmed? Is the person who said the check was lost the same person who took the car, or is the owner of the bank account a separate victim or co-conspirator of the person who took the car?

Well, the short answer is the guy shouldn't have let the scammer take his car before the check had cleared.

He's kind of SOL right now because of the whole "legal sign-over" of his car as a $0 gift. The fraud case is going to get kind of complicated.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

whoever has the car registered it already... u can get a lawyer to get the information from the dmv. if they are separate people (check and the person who has the car now), then the person who registered the car is stupid enough to register it in the first place under his name. regardless if he registered it under someone else, he will need a lot of legal documents to prove that hes a different person. i believe he will be driving it if he took the time to change titles and register it through the dmv.

whoever that little tax guy dude that told u that was legal to do that, he owes u a new car if u cant get this one back
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 PM
SL Member

lawyer cannot get that information without an information supeona.

First order of business, fire your accountant for telling you #1 it was ok to fraud US tax system and think its legal and #2 for saying you can deduct it on your taxes, ...what are you deducting $0 even if the BoS said 14k what are you deducting??? you deduct expenses not income...

NEXT. you dontreally have much option here other than the FBI fraud division and maybe dade cty fraud divisions, one of the two can look up the registration but the chances of them proceeding are low because of the BoS. You can try not telling them that part and try to get some sort of contact info for te guy from them but its a long shot it just may work

stop paying lawyers BTW they arent going to be much help besides lighting your wallet.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 PM

I tried contacting the police in Miami, no help.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude contact me... i run miami! lol... i told u give me all ur info on the car and pics.. and info on the guy... dam yo! lol
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by customtcchicago
I tried contacting the police in Miami, no help.
did y ujust call the station or did you ask their fraud division? have you called the FBI fraud division? I hate to tell you but you are kinda SOL but there are a few things you can still try, if i were you I would be on the phone now.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Money not check, problem solved. Next time you will know.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY MY SCION TC TURBO HAS BEEN STOLEN HELP I BEEN SCAM