2005-2010 [ANT10]

Equipment Violation? Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Equipment Violation? Now What?

OK, so, here's what happened. I'm following some people to their house and we all (about 5 cars) pass a cop that was on a side road. Apparently he decides to follow us the 100 yards down the road to the house and start running plates. Im clean so i think, I'm good but I roll down my windows just to make sure I don't get anything. So I'm doing a 3-pt turn to park on the other side of the road and I get out and the cops call me over. They say, and I quote "What's with your Front Lights? The Yellow and Blue ones?" I say "The Yellows are my Fog Lights" (VRDs with the SUPPLIED Yellow bulbs) "and the Blues are my Parking Lights." (Blue LEDs) So they ask for my stuff and I eventually get an equipment violation for unauthorized lights. No details, just written, unauthorized lights. My question is, which are they talking about? The Blue lights were NOT my Primary lights (my headlights are a simulated 7000K bulb, not that Blue) so what's the deal, and my Fogs are Yellow, from the Factory. What's the big deal with those?

And lastly, now what should I do. It's my first, anything, and I have no clue.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-16-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

VRD= aftermarket... is it DOT approved??
Blue/Red lights on a car...illegal no matter what.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

well whatever he gave you about your lights, what does it say? you need to appear in court, pay a fine or what? VRD's are not from the factory, neither are the yellow bulbs. you shouldnt have to worry about your 7000k bulbs/HIDs if you didnt turn them on?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
CinSity Scions
SL Member

blue lights are never legal even if its parking lights. if you want to avoid any trouble, dont turn it on around cops, or stick to less blue...like 5000k headlight bulbs and white or regular parking light. most aftermarket lights and temps (colors) are NOT DOT (department of transportation) approved. that cop was also probably a butt to have followed you around.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
VRD= aftermarket... is it DOT approved??
im pretty sure they are. but even if they arent, ive seen stock lights that yellow.

Originally Posted by Yanki01
well whatever he gave you about your lights, what does it say? you need to appear in court, pay a fine or what? VRD's are not from the factory, neither are the yellow bulbs. you shouldnt have to worry about your 7000k bulbs/HIDs if you didnt turn them on?
all she wrote is "unauthorized lights". ill pay a fine if i plead guilty, no court i dont think. id have to mail it in or whatever. as far as the fogs, see above. my headlights are just as white/ barely blue as acuras, and those are legal! but mine are not as bright and yes, my headlights were on so i wasnt using my really blue parking lights as my primary's.

Originally Posted by mystik
blue lights are never legal even if its parking lights. if you want to avoid any trouble, dont turn it on around cops, or stick to less blue...like 5000k headlight bulbs and white or regular parking light. that cop was also probably a butt to have followed you around.
even in N.Y.? i kno some states are diff. its not like i was flashing them or anything. and yes i agree but im not like, f the police or anything.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

you see yellow on other fogs because "some" come like that from factory. im guessing she knew your's didnt because yall stood out. you headlights are not like the Acura's because i have the same type of HIDs as a BMW/Acura or any high end car and all use 4300k, not 7000k. they're legal because they are DOT approved for that specific car.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

just pay the ticket and be done with it.
itll be waaay cheaper than paying court fess & the ticket (cuz you will loose)
sorry to say but the blue is def. illegal, im not sure about the yellow though)
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would probably say it is your blue parking lights. My brother had blue parking lights and they made him take them out when he got inspected, but I am in a different state.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

any color other than orange marker lights are gonna be ticket material in any state........
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Blue=Cop. Sorry, that's how it goes. Honestly, just looking at your avatar, that's way too blue to try and pass it as super white.

Just consider yourself lucky that they only wrote a ticket for unauthorized lighting... they could've easily tagged you for impersonating an officer.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck with that one...I got pulled over last night on the LIE and the cop said the same exact thing to me....But I just acted dumb and nice and he let it go...I told him no I didn't know I couldn't have them that color and that I had never gotten pulled over,,,

Probably the same cop ...either that or they just felt like pulling over anyone with HID's
Old 01-31-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

females!
Old 01-31-2009, 03:39 PM
ZTC
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

lol @ cop mode.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sux . i have the red LED's in my lights but cops don't really bother u in albany. to tell if they are dot approved , look closely at the lights there should be DOT stamp. That is the only way your VRD's are legal. but our LED's in our head s are defintely not legal. I asked a cop once which ones were legal , his response was: NONE
Old 01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if u werent about "f the police" or anything, you're welcome to join the club now
[:
Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would have probably been left alone if you just had the yellow fogs. But the minute you have any blue lights on your car, you really start calling attention to yourself.

Pay the fine or "fix it" and then change the fogs back later if you have to have yellow. But leave the blue lights to the cops.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

red blue to the front is always illegal. I can't imagine why anyone would think they could have that and then be suprised when they get pulled over. There are so many things you can do to your car but you throw a fit when you get pulled over for something that is so damn obviously attention getting to everyone else.

Now what? Take the bulbs out and quit complaining. If you want blue lights so bad be a cop. Till then, use your head and quit _____ing about stupid crap.

Sorry to flame,. but you have got to be kidding me. I put blue lights in my car and now what do i do???? WTF
Old 01-31-2009, 05:18 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i blacked out all my lights with UV head lights and UV parking lights and UV turn signals
Old 01-31-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, theres no way i can pass them for white or whatever. id rather not pay the fine if i can avoid it (duh) so im hoping by switching them out and showing them, if they even look at it, they'll dismiss it or whatever. My headlights aren't HID's but they really arent blue at all. (they're 80w Nokya bulbs that are blue glass) i even passed 2 sheriffs and another cop that same night before this happened. plus i pass cops all the time with my lights on and they have never stopped me.

Originally Posted by tcmami
good luck with that one...I got pulled over last night on the LIE and the cop said the same exact thing to me....But I just acted dumb and nice and he let it go...I told him no I didn't know I couldn't have them that color and that I had never gotten pulled over,,,

Probably the same cop ...either that or they just felt like pulling over anyone with HID's
unless you were out in manorville i doubt i was the same cop lol. the one that issued me the ticket was in training so i think if had been a regular cop, i might have gotten away with it, idk.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gotten pulled over for my white leds in my headlights and over my license plate. It all depends on the cop, the guy that pulled me over just gave me a warning about the lights and my tint.

As far as changing the lights and showing them to a cop it wont matter because it's not a "fix it" ticket like if one of your headlights were out and you have a week to fix it.

I would just pay the fine it's a non-moving violation and you don't get any points.

Those lights are way too blue too though...especially for Long Island.

Quick Reply: Equipment Violation? Now What?