2005-2010 [ANT10]

Exhaust Noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust Noises

Does anyone hear a loud thumping noise coming from their stock exhaust if you go down near the exhuast. it sounds like it's working really hard. or is that normal on the tC because of the design?
Old 08-10-2004, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it more of a thumping/purring? there is a *puff puff puff puff* noise that is because of the sporty exhaust that would cause a cool sound.. try and have someone blip the throttle and listen.. i bet you hear the exhaust get sporty.. let us know..
Old 08-10-2004, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
is it more of a thumping/purring? there is a *puff puff puff puff* noise that is because of the sporty exhaust that would cause a cool sound.. try and have someone blip the throttle and listen.. i bet you hear the exhaust get sporty.. let us know..
I suppose it's a purring sound more than anything. It seems somewhat louder than it should be though, especially for just being the stock exhaust and it being on Park/idle. Is this normal for the tC?

What do you mean by blip the throttle?
Old 08-10-2004, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i've heard nothing of tat sort. the closest sound to that would be a thumping noise while im driving. but this noise sounds more as if i hit sumthing but im almost 100% sure i didnt hit anything.

can this be the noise!?
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
i've heard nothing of tat sort. the closest sound to that would be a thumping noise while im driving. but this noise sounds more as if i hit sumthing but im almost 100% sure i didnt hit anything.

can this be the noise!?
no it's coming from the stock exhaust and it's more of a loud purring sound like if I had the TRD exhaust on there or something, but I don't. I don't know if all tC's sound like this. It happens when I'm idle. I haven't tried listening for the sound while someone is driving it.

If you want turn on your tC, go to the back bend down near the stock exhaust and listen. what do you hear?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nero tC
I suppose it's a purring sound more than anything. It seems somewhat louder than it should be though, especially for just being the stock exhaust and it being on Park/idle. Is this normal for the tC?

blipping the throttle? where you just momentarily lightly push down on the gas pedal but not enough to rev the engine high.. just to have the engine go up about 500 rpms.. that's blipping..
Old 08-10-2004, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nero tC

blipping the throttle? where you just momentarily lightly push down on the gas pedal but not enough to rev the engine high.. just to have the engine go up about 500 rpms.. that's blipping..
oh ok thats what i figured. actually when i blip it the purring stops somewhat. the exhaust only purrs when the car is idle. its seems to me its a little louder than it should be. unless all tc's are like this? anyone know?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's probably just some resonance from the engine at the idle rpm. I doubt it's a big deal, but on a side note, it's nice to see you got your car. I hope there weren't too many hassles while taking delivery. And don't inhale too much exhaust!
Old 08-10-2004, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chachunka
It's probably just some resonance from the engine at the idle rpm. I doubt it's a big deal, but on a side note, it's nice to see you got your car. I hope there weren't too many hassles while taking delivery. And don't inhale too much exhaust!
oh yea, i finally got it. it was funny when i got to the dealership last night, it seems like everyone there knew about my problem. i wouldn't be surprised if the managers and the salesmen that were working with me had a meeting to discuss what they would say to me before i got there. they know they screwed up so they wanted to make sure everyone had there story straight. they tried to blame the whole situation on me.

honestly it was the worst service i have ever seen in my entire life. i don't know how they stay in business. even after all the trouble i went through, they continued to give me trouble for every little thing, they even had the nerve to try and overcharge me for an accessory. the only reason i decided to go with them because overall i got a good deal from the very beginning. it wasn't easy getting it but i got it. unfortunately i still have to get some problems fixed.

but on a side note, the scion HQ actually called me back to see if I got my problem solved. and they said they would call me wednesday to follow up on my situation. pretty good service. too bad the dealership's service sucked @$$. i got no type of compesation whatsoever.

and about the exhaust it does sound a little louder than other cars when its idle, but again i don't know if this is normal for tC's because of the way its setup.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone listened to their stock exhaust to see if they have that loud purring noise when it's on idle? i still haven't found a tC to compare it to.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought mine was kinda noisy... maybe it's just the way it's supposed to sound?
Old 08-12-2004, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by woodstock
i thought mine was kinda noisy... maybe it's just the way it's supposed to sound?
perhaps? i was thinking that maybe it has to do with it's design. with one pipe over the other.

can anyone confirm the sound? i just wanted to make sure it wasn't just mine. all you have to do is go out turn on your tC, go to the back, bend down and listen to the exhaust. is it somewhat loud?

thanks.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:55 AM
5 Year Member

yeah, mine makes the same sound during idle
Old 08-12-2004, 09:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninerfan
yeah, mine makes the same sound during idle
ok thanks, just wanted to make sure. that purring sounded louder than the average exhaust. i just wanted to make sure it wasn't just my tC.