2005-2010 [ANT10]

Exhaust Tickets

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exhaust Tickets

For everyone here in california getting exhaust tickets, this write up will help. I am making it a sticky for the time being as this is something that happens alot.

http://www.speedoptions.com/articles...35a8742a4bc30e
Old 02-03-2004, 08:56 PM

have had cops tailing me all the time, but still not loud enough for a ticket, My exhaust rocks hard!

Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but now with this information, people can fight the stupid exhaust tickets that given out.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

just remember, you can get a ticket for having an exhaust that's too loud, and one can get a ticket for an altered exhaust. if you get the one for being too loud, it has to be measured, and at the prescribed distance.

I'll have the Vehicle Code book w/ me at Exposed for anyone w/ questions.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member

WTF is axle back??? the axle isnt part of the exhaust much less a way to measure a muffler. Correct that ____, its either head back, downpipe back, or cat-back.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zmunkee
WTF is axle back??? the axle isnt part of the exhaust much less a way to measure a muffler. Correct that ____, its either head back, downpipe back, or cat-back.
axle back means that is goes back as far as the axle only. of course the axle is not part of the exhaust.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member

Actualy you'll see the term "axle-back" used often. For example on my celica there is an exhuast pipe juntion around where the axle is. My exhaust comes in 3 parts. Header ---> Midpipe ---> Muffler. The header is self explanitory. The midpipe has a resonator and a cat, the muffler portion has just that, the muffler and the actual dump to the atmosphere. So the part right after the mid-pipe is sometimes refered to as "axle-back" since it's juncture is around the rear wheels. Even though on FWD cars it's only a stub-axle.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

axel back is a really nice way of saying..."your paying 250$ for a muffler and a couple inches of piping." a.k.a "Uncle Ben's Supreme"

dont forget the stickers!!!
Old 07-24-2004, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Noise testing program only works if the test station has the specs to the car. Which at this time, the specs for the Scion has not been released.. Part of the test is to test the vehicle at idle and at 3/4 horsepower. Without the 3/4 horsepower spec, you end up paying the exhaust fine like I did...It seems kind of like a scam to me because there is no way to fight a loud exhaust ticket if you cant even get it tested.

As for the description of axel-back.... analogvoid you are partial correct. the B-pipe (midpipe you call it) typically does not include the cat. Thats why they call it Cat Back kits. the b-pipe is from the cat to the rear section known as the muffler and axel-back.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NemoBronsky
axel back is a really nice way of saying..."your paying 250$ for a muffler and a couple inches of piping." a.k.a "Uncle Ben's Supreme"

Right on - preach it.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks that you guys have laws like that. My car is probably at 100 dB at 3000 rpm. Maybe even louder. I guess my car wont ever be coing to Cali.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So are the trd xb exhausts legal? getting one installed on sat...
Old 08-26-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by xdorkx
Yes they are. TRD makes sure that the products they sell are legal...for the most part. I have the TRD muffler tip installed here in NY and I have never had a problem with it.

:D
Old 08-27-2004, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
Originally Posted by xdorkx
Yes they are. TRD makes sure that the products they sell are legal...for the most part. I have the TRD muffler tip installed here in NY and I have never had a problem with it.

:D
Awesome, thanks for the input ikhon. I'm getting mine on sat, a bit excited about it, curious as to how it'll sound, but yeah it'll rock just the same, thanks
Old 09-06-2004, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, how does the TRD exhaust sound?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

trd exhaust is weak overpriced crap. its very quiet and not that great sounding and yeah no where worth it. all i know is that in my effort to get a complete 2 inch system i removed the stock resonator and replaced it with a cherry bomb and thenb used a coffee can muffler with the silencer its way too quiet and without its too loud i need to do some more muffler testing next time i'm clampin that ____. yeah ca is a biotch. i got a ticket for my supra but the officer wrote the ticket for the wrong code and it cost me 300 bucks and i added a resonator to the supra but it was still like 3 db too loud . it cost so much cuz it was written for the wrong code. axle back exhausts are weak. if you just install a muffler no mid piping on a scion no matter what muffler you put im almost 100 % sure it will be under 95db+/- 1 db as the law states. and i don't beleive its at 3/4 hp i beleive its at full throtle and 3/4 throttle . the thing is who even knows if the smog refs are actually performing the test correctly? they won't let you watch / inspect them. i juist trust tehy do cuz i knew the supra was loud . but ya know . thats why i put dual canister mufflers with silencers so that the exhaust is muffled twice and so that i can cap the silencers on. after i changed the muffler it was only like 90 db
Old 10-05-2004, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In reality, the California vehicle code states that if you modify your exhaust in ANY way that amplifies the sound it's illegal. Hence, anything you do to make it louder than it was when it was stock.

You can fight, and win, using this 95db limit loophole. But you still can't prevent getting pulled over on every block!(which can get annoying) Even if you get it certified, cops can STILL pull you over, AND ticket you, and make you prove the authenticity of your certification to the judge. Or even make you get it re-tested if they feel you may have modified it further after it was certified!!

Trust me, this is no magic wand that will make cops leave you alone. But then again, some punk ___ cops will find any excuse.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE DON
In reality, the California vehicle code states that if you modify your exhaust in ANY way that amplifies the sound it's illegal. Hence, anything you do to make it louder than it was when it was stock.

You can fight, and win, using this 95db limit loophole. But you still can't prevent getting pulled over on every block!(which can get annoying) Even if you get it certified, cops can STILL pull you over, AND ticket you, and make you prove the authenticity of your certification to the judge. Or even make you get it re-tested if they feel you may have modified it further after it was certified!!

Trust me, this is no magic wand that will make cops leave you alone. But then again, some punk ___ cops will find any excuse.
I could think of a way around this. If you keep getting pulled over again & again, take the PD to court saying they are down right stalking you with out viable cause. Keep all records of your prior court cases in the car also. If they want to be a legal dick to you, be a dick right back to them. Also I guess in the way you are saying it, old cars must get pulled over left & right. As a car ages it gets louder, so it no longer sounds stock. Man cali cops must got nothing better to do then snort exhaust
Old 10-15-2004, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by NemoBronsky

hey, i paid $5 dollars for my raffle ticket in middletown, and $40 bucks to get my "axel-back" exhaust welded on
Old 12-11-2004, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

i got pulled over just for having a tip. he assumed it was loud

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tickets