Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Extended Warranty... is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Extended Warranty... is it worth it?

I just purcahsed a tC on Saturday. I've been debating on whether or not to take out an extended service plan on the car. Previously, all of my cars were fords and dodges, so I'm used to the cars falling apart after 50k miles. This is my first japanese car, and from what everyone tells me, the car will last forever. I guess I still have some reservations though because of my prior experiences with my 97 stratus. For those of you (probably almost everyone) who has dealt with toyotas in the past, is the extended warranty worth it? I don't drive the car very hard, but I just wanted to get some other opinions. Any help would be great!
Old 04-21-2005, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

My parents decided not to get the extended warranty for me. We're a loyal Toyota family (brother drives a celica, mother a camry, and we just donated our 13 year old van to charity) and we've had the extended warranty on all the cars. We didn't really need it haha... So I guess that's why they decided that I didn't need it either.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to get it when I have an extra $700.00 to throw away. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member

I bought the extended warranty from the dealer and it was well worth it. First of all, it was cheap and if you don’t end up using it the total amount is refunded.

Second, I would also buy the service from your dealer (if they offer it), in CA here it was $850 and included oil changes, tune-ups, rotations, and fluids for four years. And when Scion sent me the papers for the warranty and service in the mail, included was information that since I bought the extended warranty they guarantee the car wont break down and if it does they pay for the towing and rental.

Well worth the money, plus I will actually get the stuff done on time because it doesn’t cost me anything.

Check with your dealer to make sure that they can offer you all of the same stuff mine did.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member

i got it for free
Old 04-21-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I added on extended warranty (6yrs/75k) and the maintenance for 3 yrs (with roadside assistance). This is my first "new" car.. so I didn't want to have to worry about anything while I'm paying for it.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by All-lex
I bought the extended warranty from the dealer and it was well worth it. First of all, it was cheap and if you don’t end up using it the total amount is refunded.

Second, I would also buy the service from your dealer (if they offer it), in CA here it was $850 and included oil changes, tune-ups, rotations, and fluids for four years. And when Scion sent me the papers for the warranty and service in the mail, included was information that since I bought the extended warranty they guarantee the car wont break down and if it does they pay for the towing and rental.

Well worth the money, plus I will actually get the stuff done on time because it doesn’t cost me anything.

Check with your dealer to make sure that they can offer you all of the same stuff mine did.
2nd. I did the same thing. Better safe then sorry. And it is fully transferable to if you decide to sell/trade.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Extended Warranty... is it worth it?

Originally Posted by BreakTheStatic
I just purcahsed a tC on Saturday. I've been debating on whether or not to take out an extended service plan on the car. Previously, all of my cars were fords and dodges, so I'm used to the cars falling apart after 50k miles. This is my first japanese car, and from what everyone tells me, the car will last forever. I guess I still have some reservations though because of my prior experiences with my 97 stratus. For those of you (probably almost everyone) who has dealt with toyotas in the past, is the extended warranty worth it? I don't drive the car very hard, but I just wanted to get some other opinions. Any help would be great!
Funny thing--I came over from a '96 Stratus! Thing was a bucket of bolts. Looked great and drove well when I bought it at 30k, began falling apart after that.

It's transmission finally died at 70k.

I'm not a hard driver either--trying to reform from some tickets--but I had the same reservations about ANY car lasting without problems. I have the 6 year warranty, and the 30 bucks a month I is a small price for some peace of mind.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:27 AM
tom
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Most extended warranties are offered by third parties and don't cover the kinds of repairs that would warrant the extra cost. They tend to exclude electrical problems, and some are phrased in such a way that you'd have trouble making a case for certain replacement parts (like windshields, suspension, or transmission). I don't know if scion dealers try to sell these third party warranties or not, to be honest.

I also don't remember what the deal was with the extended warranty I offered, but he said it covers "most of" what the manufacturer's warranty covers, which for some reason lit up my "scam" light, so I said no thanks.

If you have a warranty that covers everything the manufacturer's warranty covers (plus maybe windshields), then that seems to be reasonable. I've heard that it can be difficult to get warrantied repairs from third party warranties because you practically have to come to the table with a lawyer to prove that this or that needs to be fixed. I won't try to back that up though.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my dad got me the 60k extended warranty plan. he didn't get one for longer because he figured i would want to trade the car in by then.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tom
Most extended warranties are offered by third parties and don't cover the kinds of repairs that would warrant the extra cost. They tend to exclude electrical problems, and some are phrased in such a way that you'd have trouble making a case for certain replacement parts (like windshields, suspension, or transmission). I don't know if scion dealers try to sell these third party warranties or not, to be honest.

I also don't remember what the deal was with the extended warranty I offered, but he said it covers "most of" what the manufacturer's warranty covers, which for some reason lit up my "scam" light, so I said no thanks.

If you have a warranty that covers everything the manufacturer's warranty covers (plus maybe windshields), then that seems to be reasonable. I've heard that it can be difficult to get warrantied repairs from third party warranties because you practically have to come to the table with a lawyer to prove that this or that needs to be fixed. I won't try to back that up though.
ummmmmmm the warranties are scion.

http://www.scion.com/own/protect/

http://www.scion.com/own/protect/extended_service/
Old 04-21-2005, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the extended warranty. I drive hard and every car I have owned has had a "problem"!!!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If this car will not have early defects, it will last to 150k+ miles without serious repairs. I currently have a 94 Nissan Maxima, with 145k miles. Original everything. Zero serious problems. No stalls of any kind (thank God). The only problems are my a/c works 50% of the time, and my antenna motor in the back stopped working. Now, this is a Nissan, and even though it is a reliable, solid company, Honda and Toyota are known to be even better.

My friend's 91 Integera had 180k miles when he sold it. He was the 4th owner. The car also had original everything, without any serious problems.

My mom's friend has a 93 Camry with 155k miles, also no problems whatsoever.

My stepbrother has a 93 240SX with 136k miles, no problems.

The list goes on and on. That is why when you look at consumer reports, the top 5 is usually Lexus, Acura, Toyota, Honda, Nissan (not necessarily in that order). Then people wonder why American companies are losing market share every year.

I doubt the warranty is worth it. I mean it is nice to have peace of mind, but it's a Toyota.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On the contrary, my parents used to have an 85 Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme (supreme my ___) about 10 years ago and by 100k miles it went through 2 transmissions, 3 radiators, 2 alternators, radiator leaks, and motor mounts wearing out constantly. My friend's 96 Chevy Corsica had 101k miles when its transmission went out. His previous 94 Geo Prizm with 70k miles had transmission fluid leaks, interior electrical problems, interior pieces falling apart (a/c vents, ashtray falling out, tranny plate sinking in, etc). My supervisor's 98 Dodge Ram with 80k miles had a transmission replaced already. He is soon going to be getting it rebuilt again under warranty (has been about 7 month since the new one).
Old 04-21-2005, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didnt get it on mine. These things are built to last. They might have some very minor problems a few years down the road, but nothing big. My dads 1991 Toyota truck has almost 190k miles and it still runs with no problems at all. I have faith in Toyota!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dmikon
85 Oldmobile Cutlass Supreme...96 Chevy Corsica...94 Geo Prizm....Dodge Ram...
See a pattern here? American car companies suck.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_kevin
I didnt get it on mine. These things are built to last. They might have some very minor problems a few years down the road, but nothing big. My dads 1991 Toyota truck has almost 190k miles and it still runs with no problems at all. I have faith in Toyota!

u just jinxed urself lol.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not every car is perfect. You are going to get a lemon once in a while and it could be you...
Old 04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default reliability

i got a 91 toyota camry with over 190,000 on it. Still runs and drives the day i picked it up from my grandma at 90k. Change the oil and do the regular maintenance it'll drive forever. I have yet to replace any parts in it. Toyota speaks for itself....
Old 04-21-2005, 01:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dealer snuck in the the extended warranty on me. I really didnt mind that because i totally forgot about it. It was the 6 year one. I dont think i will have a problem but just in case it is good to have. peace of mind kind of thing.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty... is it worth it?