2005-2010 [ANT10]

Is this fair for insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is this fair for insurance?

I got quoted $267/month from Progressive Insurance. 6 Months would cost me $1,597.90.

Policy Coverages
Bodily Injury and Property Damage: $100,000 person/300,000 accident/50,000 property
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 person/300,000 accident
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $3,500 property (with $0 deductible)
Medical Payments: $2,000 each person

Vehicle Coverages for
2006 Toyota Scion TC:
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Rental: $30/day ($900 max)
Roadside Assistance: No coverage
Loan/Lease Payoff: Selected

Is this fair?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im 22 and mine is only 120 a month through farmers insurance. The only difference is that my deductable is 750
Old 05-06-2006, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

insurance under my moms name with me on the policy and covered is $200 for 6 months.. dats $35 a month and its 25/50 coverage.. i was so suprised
Old 05-06-2006, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, this is for 6 months coverage. i'm 23, no accidents, no points, good student discount, and alarm discount
Old 05-06-2006, 05:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

your property damage is a little low.....and the premium is really high, do you have any tickets?
your rate is also determined by you Zip code, so a cali policey may be higher then a policy from ohio.
shop around.....that seems high
Old 05-06-2006, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are your attachable assets? do you own a home that has not been protected by the homestead act? if not, you could lower your premium by not carrying 100/300 coverage. 15/30 is generally all that is mandated by law and would be significantly less expensive. if you are a home owner whose home has not been homesteaded or have other significant attachable assets, carrying $100,000/$300,000 is appropriate, otherwise it is not necessary.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am paying 3000 a year for rull collision and I have no points, or antying, just that Brooklyn SUCKS.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

damn i pay less then that with my new GTI and i'm from jersey
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I pay that for 3 vehicles and two drivers, including unlimited glass coverage. Not to mention a couple of tickets between us and an accident on one. But, it depends on a lot of things, and you are 22, which doesnt help any. The only thing you can do is check all the companies, you really cant go by what others are paying. There are a lot of variables involved.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats a little steep bro..i would shop around a little more and get that pushed down...
Old 05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Insurance is strange. 2 years ago progressive was almost twice the price of the closest competitor and over twice what I ended up getting (AAA). Now, progressive is the cheapest for me and AAA is over double the others. I met an insurance guy that literally changed his insurance company every few months as rates changed. Believe it or not, there is ZERO benefit to staying with an insurance company for years. They could care less. As a matter of fact, the longer they keep you, the more risk you become statistically.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do a quote with 21st Century. You can do it online to see if they are comparable.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

$105 a month! 20yrs old, progressive!
Old 05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by surfcity40
what are your attachable assets? do you own a home that has not been protected by the homestead act? if not, you could lower your premium by not carrying 100/300 coverage. 15/30 is generally all that is mandated by law and would be significantly less expensive. if you are a home owner whose home has not been homesteaded or have other significant attachable assets, carrying $100,000/$300,000 is appropriate, otherwise it is not necessary.

carry the maximum if you can afford it, that coverage of bodily injury and UI bodily injury is THE most important coverage on your policy, dont skimp, here is why.
that coverage covers you in the case you or your passenger is hosiptalized, if your hospital bill is less then 15/30 then buy that coverage, but genearlly spealing a 3 night hospital stay is about 30-40k in a serious truama situation (includes outpatient care, p/t and other hospital and medical care). SO you can gamble with a lower policy or pay to be covered. Also if you injure someone you will be covered financially

alot of people dont like insurance since it is a gamble or zero sum game, but i would rather be safe then sorry when it comes to liablity and my life. I can replace a car, so who cares about that, im worried about killing somone, damaging someone elses property and or being injured and not being able to be covered. Sorry to be blunt, but those of you who cannot afford the "right" insurance are taking a financial gamble i would not want to play.

I have seen 150,000 claims off a fender bender.....and the claimant not having the coverage thus being sued for twice the amount loosing his or her car, license and basically thier lively hood due to 2500.00 a month settlement payments they owe the person that sued them.
i worked for statefarms as a claims adjuster, i have seen the worst happen over something you guys dont want to pay an extra 100.00 a month.

no longer is owning assets and property a valid reason to have high coverage, gettting your ___ handed to you in court is. And trust me if you hit me in my lexus in your Tc, i would take you too the cleaners in court. That is mentality of people these days....

also property damage, that is another issue people dont want to pay for, if you have 25k property damage and you hit a mercedes broadside, their airbags will pop, and you will probably have a nice bill of about 35k to fix a mercedes back to ICAR specs. so ifyou have onlye 25k property liablity i hope you have 10k sitting around.

my coverage is 3 cars, my homeowners full coveratge 250/500/250 i also carry a 2.5 million dollar unbrella personaly liablity policy to protect me from being sued. i pay 250.00 a month for all that coverage......and trust me with the way the world works these days i would rather be safe then sorry.

you have to pay to play, so if you cannot afford insurance, be prepared to pay the full maximum if you are in an accident.

driving is a priveledge not a right, and that privledge is getting more and more expensive, gas insurance and maintance costs, can you afford to drive?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Insurance is strange. 2 years ago progressive was almost twice the price of the closest competitor and over twice what I ended up getting (AAA). Now, progressive is the cheapest for me and AAA is over double the others. I met an insurance guy that literally changed his insurance company every few months as rates changed. Believe it or not, there is ZERO benefit to staying with an insurance company for years. They could care less. As a matter of fact, the longer they keep you, the more risk you become statistically.
not nesscarily.....allstate is one example of a A rated insurnace company that has benifits of staying, my brother has them, he has 250/500/250 and pretty much the same coverage that i have, he has not had a any accidents and claims for 3 years, he has Zero dollar deductibles on both comp; and collision because of that, again this is a A rated insurance company. Also he has a 2006 Mercedes E55 and he is paying 160.00 a month for that coverage and he is 29 years old, but he has been with alstate for 7 years and has consistant premimum discounts of 15% every 6 monthes.....so in theory it depends on the company, if your with some brokered B.S company yes its not worth sticking long term. but if you are Teir1 credit with an rated company with no claims tickets or accidents it does pay off.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:32 PM
SL Member

Try wawanesa.com
Old 05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

North royalton must be cheaper than avon lake. I am at $1100 a half, with $500k Combined Single Limit, no points, no accidents.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Is this fair for insurance?

Originally Posted by TongMan
I got quoted $267/month from Progressive Insurance. 6 Months would cost me $1,597.90.

Policy Coverages
Bodily Injury and Property Damage: $100,000 person/300,000 accident/50,000 property
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist: $100,000 person/300,000 accident
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage: $3,500 property (with $0 deductible)
Medical Payments: $2,000 each person

Vehicle Coverages for
2006 Toyota Scion TC:
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible
Rental: $30/day ($900 max)
Roadside Assistance: No coverage
Loan/Lease Payoff: Selected

Is this fair?
sounds about right.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
lots of stuff
i appreciate your understanding that carrying an appropriate amount of UM coverage is important and necessary, however, i was speaking of the liability coverage of 100k/300k. with no assets there is no reason to carry that coverage.

if you cause an accident and have the legal amount of liability coverage (in CA it is 15k/30k), and have no assets to take, the opposing party will recover the 15k/30k regardless of the value of the case. if the case is worth 500k, they will still recover your insurance limits and will not come after you for the rest (i'm speaking about CA and other states that are not "no fault").

the amount of liability coverage (NOT uninsured motorist coverage which protects you if the other guy is uninsured or underinsured and causes the accident) you purchase is based upon the amount of personal assets you need to protect, and should not be based upon a fear that even if you have no assets someone will try to wring blood from a stone. it doesn't work that way. if you carry the legal limits you are protected. now, if you have assets, you need to carry enough insurance to cover being able to keep them in the event you cause an accident. in this instance 100/300 or even a mil is appropriate.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

they can sue you civil court, i have seen it done.......
my old roomate sued a party who had 15/30 for over 65k in damages and won.
He had the option to sue his own insurance company, for UI, but went after the person who hit him.

that person is still paying 800.00 a month to my friend, so tell me if its no fault how come he lost?
i agree with you if you have 15/30 you have no assets to take, but they can still make a judgement against you in civil court and you are stil liable, they will garnish your wages and any future income. There is no difference in me suing you with insurance or without......
i can sue you for above 15/30 if my losses execeed that amount, but it wont be through the insurnance company it would be in court as a civil matter, so personally i would rather have the insurance to cover that then have to mess with litigation, but im in a situation as im sure you are that you have assets, and little more to loose then a 17,000 car.

and if you have UI, and you have the basic ( i have not looked recently) it may not cover that "no fault" your talking about, 15/30 is not enough these days.

i dont like knowing there are people that can get off the hook by just buying the minimum......

im not saying your wrong, im just saying that it can happen and i have seen it happen.

Quick Reply: Is this fair for insurance?