Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

First timer. DUI? NExt time Im car pooling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default First timer. DUI? NExt time Im car pooling.

Last Friday I got pulled over for BTRL. Unfortunately I was boozed. Not that much. I passed all the test's like the walk a straight line, follow the light, and standing on 1 foot for 20 sec, but the breathalizer gave me a .11, so I got caught (I am still denying its an arrest) for DUI. It's my first time, the Cop was so nice that he didnt let my car get towed instead he talked to my girlfriend who was on the phone already when he pulled me over and asked if she knows someone who can drive a stick. Then he waited for my car to get picked up. Thats how nice he was, he didnt even put me to jail. he just took me for further examination. In the police station I was .124 for the first blow, .125 second blow. So I was like. Why is it going up from .11 to .124 to .125???? The cop did not give me any tickets for BTRL he just gave me the waiver paper thing to sign.

So my question is, what should I do? What should I expect? For those who got DUI too, how much was the fine. And how much would a DUI attourney cost? please help! I dont want A felon record, nor my license revoked or suspended.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, it went up because your body was still absorbing alcohol.
Second, you will lose your license.
Third, it will be on your record.
Fourth, you will be paying some cash.

I'm not going to lecture on the don't drink and drive even if you've only had a few, as I myself have ridden with someone who got a DUI and I got myself an underage.

However I will say a lawyer and admitting guilt is your best prospects from what I've heard to get as much lowered as possible.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Own up to your mistake and learn from it.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did already! Actually I was so ashamed when my gf saw me at the back seat of the cop car. Worst palce you could be. Plus the handcuffs.

Thanks BurntClutch. Yeah, Ill get a lawyer.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yah.. I was pretty embarassed when I got pulled over. no write ups or nothing, he just let me drive home. but it was too close for me. I won't let it happen again. its been either friend or taxi from then on.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maybe this is a sign. Ive been going out every weekend, maybe I should lie low for a while...
Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

find out if your state offers and "ARD type" program, here in PA its "accelerated rehabilative dispositionment" and basically it wipes it away, with a strict clause if you get hit again with one in the NEXT 10 years, you get hit HARD for your second offense, its meant as a "get out of jail free" card.

I had 40 hours of community service, 30 day license suspension, 16.5 hours DUI education (classes), $1500 in fines, 2 couselor meetings (at $85 a pop)and 1 year of probation. I got stopped at a DUI checkpoint 2 miles from my house, with only a .12 I STILL AGREE I was in the wrong, dont mis-understand me. While I was not drunk - buzz driving is almost the same as drunk driving - it has the ability to impair you. BUT I didnt get pulled over either, it was a check point....

The worst part is the "hidden" costs, lawyers, tests, classes, community service (driving and PAYING to get there and back, and the loss of the time).

IF its your first time, I would HONESTLY say try a public defender, my lawyer only did one thing for me - file my paperwork for the ARD.. but he knew the backround of the case if something would of went wrong.. so thats what your paying for.

Good luck my friend, dont repeat this incident - this one may be a HARD slap on the wrist, but learn from this. Drink all you want, but make your girl drive you around!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by pmarlowe
Maybe this is a sign. Ive been going out every weekend, maybe I should lie low for a while...
better to Lay low ... Not lay under... 6ft under that is...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TorqueTC very much appriciated! Public defender it is... Where can I get onE?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

if you refused to blow, you probably wouldn't have gotten a DUI especially if you passed the rest of the test.

once you blow, you are guilty with proof. Otherwise a good lawyer can usually find something the cop did wrong, or plead it down to something minor.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ you can avoid a breath test because they are inadmisable as evidence, its only a guage, then they have probable cause.. HOWEVER if our young friend would of done that, they would of given him ONE chance, to go to either the station OR hospital. The station has a calibrated machine stand alone machine (not a field unit) if you would of refused that you would of lost your license for a year. Hospital they would take a blood sample. Again, refusal of that one would of resulted in 1 year loss also.

YOU DONT HAVE TO COMPLY, but you have to play by their rules. Also, obviously the more of a jerk you are, or attempt to not comply, they will try to pile up more charges on you. IE vehicle charges.
IF you have multiple charges, (DUI + traffic offenses) maybe you should get a lawyer, they usually get them compounded and dropped, and they only look at the major charge (in this case, the state money maker DUI).

IF its just something silly like a seat belt ticket in addition to your DUI dont worry.

ALSO most important.. DO NOT get another DUI before you go to court... The judge will find the need to make an example out of you. This doesnt mean "dont get caught".. It means DO NOT DRIVE.. feel free to get hammered, just dont drive man..

You could even call AAA if you were drunk and didnt want to drive, but wanted to get the car home.. You can tell them you blew a head gasket or WHATEVER, they are not going to make you drive the car (they cant). They will just hook it up, and tow you home. You get 4 50 mile tows a year with AAA.. I know it sounds silly, but my DUI class teacher told me about it, and I think its a GREAT idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, your public defender.. you get your P.D. at the courthouse. You HAVE to have one before a certain date before your hearing - they still may have like a $50 charge or something.. With all this court stuff.. act like you dont make too much money.. the MORE YOU MAKE THE MORE THEY TAKE. Estimate your check LOWER than what you bring home.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^OF COURSE! Thats the first thing I tought about when I saw the waiver asking how much I make and stuff!! Ill dress like a bum when meeting with em. lol.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no no no, dress NICE, but dont wear a suit... dont look like a bum bro
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also get a hair cut and be clean shaven.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

your insurance.. will skyrocket like OMGWTFBBQ
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: First timer. DUI? NExt time Im car pooling.

Originally Posted by pmarlowe
And how much would a DUI attourney cost?[/b]
...not as much as insurance with a DUI, your potential loss in income as a felon (it's not a felony in Texas, but could be where you are), and all the other crap you may go through.

Lawyer up NOW.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Please stop getting in cars when you have had something to drink............no matter if you feel ok to drive.........the life you save may be somebody you never want to meet.........think about it.............your 23.......that is too young to ruin your life.

Step up and get with it........and yes if you think you were embarrased in front of your girlfriend........think of how embarrased she was.........
Old 10-16-2007, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hahaha! Looking like a bum was a joke! lol. But what gas meet foot said scared me! Damn! Thats why I want it to get lowered down as a misdemeanor... One of my friend is such a dick saying negative stuff, this and that this and that... Im already getting depressed bout it but Im trying to be optimistic about it, and yes I am honest to fault. so please stop bringin me down some more.... T_T
Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Heard the whole lecture about refusing to take the test from a highway patrol officer.

Myth # 1: "If you refuse it, they have to go off the field test" 100% BS. If you refuse it, they will take you to jail and administer another test, usually a blood test.

Myth #2: "It is not admisible" 100% BS. It is absolutely usable in court.

The only advantage in refusing one is the hope that you are right on the line and that you will sober up a bit before they take you in and perform a blood test.

Quick Reply: First timer. DUI? NExt time Im car pooling.