2005-2010 [ANT10]

Gagues??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 07:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gagues??

I want to change the color of gagues from Amber to red...

HOW?!?!
Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Take them apart and figure it out I've taken apart the center console, and it uses surface mount LEDs. Pretty sure the gauge cluster uses the same thing. You'll need to be able to solder/desolder surface mount components to do this.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i love when people just so obviously incorrectly spell the subject line of a post. the good kind of love.
anyway, i don't really like the amber, but the amount of work i feel it'd require to change ALL the amber seems to overwhelm that dislike.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by imjonk
i love when people just so obviously incorrectly spell the subject line of a post. the good kind of love.
anyway, i don't really like the amber, but the amount of work i feel it'd require to change ALL the amber seems to overwhelm that dislike.
Old 11-10-2004, 02:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

The word 'gauges' is spelled correctly maybe one out of ten times here. Usually it's 'guages' or something of this sort, but 'gagues' is the best so far :D
Old 11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i feel kind of bad for changing the subject of the post
so.. i remember looking up aftermarket gauges for Civics and the RSX before and they always had the most hideous ones available (mostly from APC, which has the crappiest, riciest things that i absolutely hate for the most part). does anyone know a good company that makes nice gauges?
the red would be totally in the realm of RSX territory and Acura did their gauges pretty awesome in that car.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reign
I've taken apart the center console, and it uses surface mount LEDs.
What size and how many?

The gauge cluster uses ~15 1411 (3.5x2.8mm) leds according to another member here.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by hawkeye
I've taken apart the center console, and it uses surface mount LEDs.
What size and how many?

The gauge cluster uses ~15 1411 (3.5x2.8mm) leds according to another member here.
Not sure the size, but I think I counted 15 or so. To get ot the ones behind the little LCD screen, you have to desolder the screen and remove it, but threre's four behind it.

I want to do all of my interior lights blue (including the radio) and the LCD screens white
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to do all of my interior lights blue (including the radio) and the LCD screens white
I was thinking about that with white gauges and displays and red buttons, but the problem is that white and blue and some green LEDs require more voltage that orange and red.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the amber color gives me that "im driving an airplane" feel, since most air planes use that color on their gauges.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure the size, but I think I counted 15 or so. To get ot the ones behind the little LCD screen, you have to desolder the screen and remove it, but threre's four behind it.

The surface mount LEDs are in PLCC-2 size, not 1411. You don't have to unsolder the LCD, you can remove the white shroud that surrounds it. If you look at the circuit board, there are a few pegs that holds the shroud in place. One of the pegs is a bit larger than the others. I think if you can carefully cut that one large peg away, you can bend back the LCD slightly to remove the shroud.

I tried removing the gauge cluster today so that I could determine what kind of lighting is used for the gauges. I was able to get the trim off and found one screw holding in the gauge assembly. However, when I removed that screw, I could only slightly move the gauge cluster. Is there anything else holding in the cluster? I couldn't find anything other than that single screw when I removed the trim piece.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye
I was thinking about that with white gauges and displays and red buttons, but the problem is that white and blue and some green LEDs require more voltage that orange and red.
Just turn up the dimmer for the gauges till you get the brightness you want :D
Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

How are those 174 horses doing for ya smurf?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by panasoanic

The surface mount LEDs are in PLCC-2 size, not 1411. You don't have to unsolder the LCD, you can remove the white shroud that surrounds it. If you look at the circuit board, there are a few pegs that holds the shroud in place. One of the pegs is a bit larger than the others. I think if you can carefully cut that one large peg away, you can bend back the LCD slightly to remove the shroud.

I tried removing the gauge cluster today so that I could determine what kind of lighting is used for the gauges. I was able to get the trim off and found one screw holding in the gauge assembly. However, when I removed that screw, I could only slightly move the gauge cluster. Is there anything else holding in the cluster? I couldn't find anything other than that single screw when I removed the trim piece.
Any help would be appreciated.
Awesome info. Sorry I can't help you on disassembly, but definately keep us updated on progress.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
The word 'gauges' is spelled correctly maybe one out of ten times here. Usually it's 'guages' or something of this sort, but 'gagues' is the best so far :D
heh... try the word queue.

I have NEVER seen anyone spell it correctly at work
=P