2005-2010 [ANT10]

Gauging interest for clear bra made by clear-guard.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Gauging interest for clear bra made by clear-guard.com

Hello! Everyone at Scion Life. Hope everyone enjoying their spanking new scions! I am in love with the tC.

JINSU is a newly found tunner product vendor and is authorized dealer for Clear-Guard paint protection products. Since i have seen many members on this board looking for quality products to protect their babies and keep them clean looking at the same time. JINSU would like to offer a GB on Clear-Guard paint protectors (aka clear bra). You are looking at a 10~25% discount on over retail prices (detailed price will be posted once there is enough interest). Clear-Guard currently have Mirror, Fender, Hood, Bumper, Headlight, Turn signal kits for all Scions (xA, xb, tC)

If there is enough interest then JINSU will become a site sponsor and help to support a great community such as Scion Life. :D
Old 09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd probably be interested. Would like to see some pics on a tC though. Someone mentioned the begged question "How does what's under the clear bra compare to what's not in regards to uv damage?" Color fade? etc.

I've already got two small scratches on my tC, and it bugs the ever loving hell out of me :-/
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would that be the installed price?

The one I have bookmarked while waiting for mine is $225 uninstalled for the tC, the others are even lesshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7919383350

If that is installed that is a good deal!!!!

From what I know the bra is uv transparent, paint will fade at the same rate.
I am going to get this as soon as i get the car!
Old 09-07-2004, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The pricing does not include install(kinda hard when people are all over the nation, and you can't really ship your bumper or hood to me )
You can buy a generic kit off of ebay for cheap price but most the time you get what you paid for. Most kits on the market are 8mm thick while Clear-Guard uses 17mm(at least on the headlights, still have to confirm for others).

Each of clear-guard's kits is designed specifically to fit your vehicle, and are manufactured from transparent high impact films manufactured by 3M, Avery Dennison, and Venture Tape. This unique material offers excellent protection, and will not crack, yellow, shrink or peel over time.

Here are some general information on Clear-Guard kits
Can Clear Guard Protection Kits be removed?
Yes, Clear Guard Kits can be removed easily and will not damage the paint. To remove the film, you must heat the surface to approximately 150°F while working a corner of the film with your fingernail. Once you have enough of the material free from the surface to hold on to, slowly pull the film from the paint.

Will a Clear Guard Protection Kit really stop rocks from chipping the front of my car?
Yes. The material that it is made from was originally designed by engineers to protect the leading edges of aircraft propellers and rotor blades from rock chips. It is a much easier task to protect your vehicles paint than it is to protect a propeller moving at nearly the speed of sound.

Will there be a visible line where the Clear Guard Kit stops?
A line is slightly visible where the shield stops, but the three alternatives to that line are a bug shield, a bra, or rock chips.

Will I be able to see that there is a Clear Guard Kit on the car?
The material is about 99.5% clear. On any color darker than stark white, you can't see the film. On a stark white car, you can see that .5% of color, but it still is "invisible" at a short distance.

How long will it last? When will I have to replace the kit?
Our product is warranteed for 4 years, though the material has an average life span of about 7 years. Except for rock chips, the same factors that affect the life of your cars paint affect our product. Whether or not the car is garaged and whether or not it is kept washed and waxed will make a big difference.

How is the kit applied? Do you spray it on?
The plastic material comes to us in a large roll. Our machines cut the plastic into shapes designed to fit various parts of your car. These pieces are then applied to the vehicle in a very similar fashion to that of window tint. The pieces and the painted surface are wet with a solution and moved into position, then the solution is squeegeed away.

Will my paint fade differently under the shield than it does on the rest of the car?
No. The material does contain an inhibitor to prevent the plastic from reacting to the sun's UV rays, but this does not prevent the UV rays from passing through the plastic into your paint.

Is this material safe to use on the new water based acrylic paints that are being used by some manufacturers?
Yes. The material has no harmful effects on water based acrylic paints and still provides the same level of protection.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JINSU
[b]The pricing does not include install(kinda hard when people are all over the nation, and you can't really ship your bumper or hood to me )
You can buy a generic kit off of ebay for cheap price but most the time you get what you paid for. Most kits on the market are 8mm thick while Clear-Guard uses 17mm(at least on the headlights, still have to confirm for others).
Well, I figured you were somewhere and figured it could have been an installed price - thus the even better deal. I looked at the clear gard website and it looks like the what I bookmarked on ebay. same 8mil material and they are both custom cut to fit each car...

http://www.clear-guard.com/productse...&submodel=2517

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7919383350

A friend of mine got one for his gti and we put it on this past weekend. It fit great. I think he got more than he paid for, thats why I am thinking it is a good idea. Dealer wanted a TON of money for theirs!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Clear-Guard's paint protectors are made with 8mil 3M films, the colored/tinted PVC vinyl is 17-mil thick and is used for tinted headlights and tail lights.

The thing with buying a kit of ebay is that there is no gurantee that the sellers will stand behind their products while Clear-Guard provide $1,000.00 Clear Guard Protection Kit Guarantee (for more information, go to www.clear-guard.com and click on product warranty on the top right corner). Clear-Guard is a major supplier for numrous dealers, suppliers. The company has applications for almost every automobile out on the market including SEMI, AV, MOTORCYCLE, ATX.

Clear-Guard and JINSU will stand behind the products they sell and provide installation tips and customer service.

So if members are still interested then please reply. any additional concern and info are welcome.
[/img][/url]
Old 09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As soon as my tC comes in I'm interested, but what is your price? If I don't get it from you I'll probably get that kit mentioned above off ebay. I'll pay for quality but I won't pay for implied quality - you have to tell me where the difference is.

thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

the difference is that clear-guard is a company with excellent reputation and stand behind the products they make with the great warranties and will guide you through the installation with directions and tips. You are not buying a kit from a person on ebay who can show up for now and disappear without a trace. (not bashing on the seller from the link above)

If you search around on the internet, you will see the majority of well known "clear bra" manufacturer sells their kits at very similar prices. That's also why Clear-Guard has application for almost every car, atv, motorcycle, and even semis on the market.

Clear-Guard is targeted towards dealers and also have headlight protector films that aren't offered on ebay as i can tell.

remember that this thread is mainly gauge interest. According to the rule of scionlife we can not give out any details on pricing unless JINSU decide to become a sponsor.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

remember that this thread is mainly gauge interest. According to the rule of scionlife we can not give out any details on pricing unless JINSU decide to become a sponsor.
Well if you decide there is enough interest and become a sponsor, make sure to let us know here and in the tC forum - I'd be interested in buying from you, but when my car comes in, if I don't get it here, i'm getting it somewhere else before my baby is covered in little chips.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sounds good. you can let every1 else on the site to know as well.
we can make a list on interest. just copy and post the list.
This interest is open to every application and product avaible from clear-guard.com

1)
2)
3)
Old 09-09-2004, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds good. you can let every1 else on the site to know as well.
we can make a list on interest. just copy and post the list.
This interest is open to every application and product avaible from clear-guard.com

1) Iowa Gary - if you bring it out by the time my car gets here
2)
3)
Old 09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

JINSU

I looked at the clear gard warranty and have another question.

You warranty says Avery, not 3M. From my research 3M has a clear coat and Avery doesn't . I have read many posts on other forums about Avery film turning grey in six months and the owner was unable to get it clean???

This is for an Avery clear bra, and not a 3M clear bra, correct?

If so, I am only interested in getting a 3M bra, I want the best.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

From the homepage of www.clear-guard.com

Clear Guard protection kits are manufactured from transparent high impact films manufactured by 3M, Avery Dennison and Venture Tape.
So yes it is by 3M
Old 09-09-2004, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clear Guard protection kits are manufactured from transparent high impact films manufactured by 3M, Avery Dennison and Venture Tape.
So yes it is by 3M
Well the way I read it, they COULD be 3M. The convoluted warranty states Avery only, and has so many exceptions that I don't really see how it covers anything. Yes I am cynical, but we all have been burned in the past.

THERE IS NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND NO WARRANTY THAT THE PRODUCT SHALL BE FIT FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR USE.
Personally I am having a hard time with seeing what I get for the additional money I spend, and am not getting a warm fuzz feeling by the "manufactured from transparent high impact films manufactured by 3M, Avery Dennison and Venture Tape" line. It seems like they don't really specify what you are getting. Sorry it that is harsh, but the research I have done leads me to believe that there are large differences between the 3 companys...

Cynical, impatient, anxious, and excited all at the same time. I need more coffee!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

LOL, the feeling you have is typical for most of us in the aftermarket scene. Car is expensive and precious and we want the the best product we can get for the money. And that's why i am here to solve everyone's concern and make you feel as fuzzy and warm as possible.
I truely appreciaint constructive and informative questions like Isitsnowing.
Just got an e-mail confirm from John, Owner of clear-guard.
Here is what he have to say.

" Of the three paint protection films, 3M is the only one with a Clear Coat. There are Pro's and Con's regarding Clear Coat, film is harder to install (film is not as flexible), clear coat surface will scratch, clear coat protects the urethane layer from dirt becoming embedded due to the customer not regularly cleaning the paint protection film. All three films require the film to be cleaned regularly (washed and waxed). If regular cleaning is not done all three films will lose their gloss (shine).

For the last year I have been using VentureShield paint protection film (does not have a clear coat), unless customer requests 3M or Avery. Personally and professionally I recommend VentureShield, other people will endorse other brands thats the way it is. VentureShield has the best warranty in the business, a Lifetime Warranty if the kit is installed by a authorized dealer."
Old 09-09-2004, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

double post...
Old 09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm interested in 2 for xB's if the price is low enough.. I've already got a chip in my A-pillar, so I hope these will protect everything, a-pil.'s, roof and mirrors included?
Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The a-pilar is not offered by any manufacturer as i recall but can be made for customized applications.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
I'm interested in 2 for xB's if the price is low enough.. I've already got a chip in my A-pillar, so I hope these will protect everything, a-pil.'s, roof and mirrors included?

http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=4480

invinca shield has a bunch of add on pieces if you want the whole enchilada
Old 09-09-2004, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

JINSU, thanks for the info.
But I am not really convinced what else I would be getting, so I am going to go with the discount clear bras. Like I said, my friends gti went well, and he got exactly what he thought he was going to get. :shrug:

good luck though, this stuff looks like a hell of an idea!!

Quick Reply: Gauging interest for clear bra made by clear-guard.com