2005-2010 [ANT10]

getting hurt while working on your car

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default getting hurt while working on your car

the other day i was installing my lightwieght pulley and i messed up my knuckles pretty bad, the wrench slipped putting my hand agaisnt the metal hurt like a mother. but any ways anybody else here hurt themselves while working on their cars(i.e tire falls on foot, hood drops on head, etc..)
Old 10-27-2007, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this didnt hurt me, but the best i can remember was on my old truck i was installing wig wags cuz im a volunteer firefighter and i had a voltmeter to test which wire was the high beam wire sitting ontop of the engine when all of a sudden a big gust of wind blew the hood down and smashed the meter. other than that i just pretty much bust my knuckles up every time i really work on the tC
Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think working on the car and getting hurt go hand-in-hand. Something always happens. My first ever mod on my first ever car was changing the headlight bulbs, and that resulted in the back of my hand getting all scratched up. Since then, I have been doing bigger and better mods, and getting bigger and better injuries. I managed to burn my hand on the engine block when I was doing the intake install. The skin blistered within just a few minutes and started coming off in big pieces. That was nasty. I also got a nice gash on my wrist from a sharp piece of metal on the inside of the fender. I was tightening a bolt and the cheap-áss socket wrench broke in half, sending my arm into the fender. It was supposed to be stainless steel, but the socket broke into two pieces. I got a more expensive wrench after that.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I busted my knuckles numerous times.
I had parts fall on my feet, hands and head.
I've been cut and bleed numerous times. I bet if I were to get a blood test, the lab tech will probably find: Mobil 1 5w30, WD40, engine degreaser, brake fluid, dirt, coolant, silicone gasket paste to name a few.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

knuckles busted a million times, finger mashed bad enough to split the nail all the way down and shoot blood out everywhere, banged head, cuts on aluminum blocks and heads that werent de-burred completely, etc.... it happens.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my hands usually end up bloody one way or another.

it really doesnt matter what im doing either, im usually certain to hurt myself somehow.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Me and my friend tried installing new sparkplugs for his mercedes e55, but couldnt finish it lol that son of a biscuit had 16 plugs!!! we did 10 of em, but couldnt get the back ones off (No room to work with. period) my hands were covered with scratches, but you couldnt see em because of all the blood
Old 10-28-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cwayne
I bet if I were to get a blood test, the lab tech will probably find: Mobil 1 5w30, WD40, engine degreaser, brake fluid, dirt, coolant, silicone gasket paste to name a few.
That sucks, but it sure beats AIDS.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the hotrod/muscle car community theres a bunch of novelty items based on a fictional place called
"The Busted Knuckle Garage"

i take my time(or maybe i'm just really slow) so my injuries are mostly scraped/split bloody knuckles and small gashes from sharp brackets and such...
Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You learn after a while to just skip trying to work around every little thing and just take off stuff that is in your way to start with.. the job is usually actually faster that way and saves you some stress and skin :D

But what is really frustrating is working for your dads shop from time to time to help out, working right next to him on similar jobs, and him being half as dirty, half as scraped up and finishing in less time than you every time .... but I guess 40 years of experience accounts for some of that
Old 10-28-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
You learn after a while to just skip trying to work around every little thing and just take off stuff that is in your way to start with.. the job is usually actually faster that way and saves you some stress and skin :D
definitely, sometimes it's just a matter of removing 1 or 2 screws and then open space is available.... I also learned the hard way thinking I dont need to remove things b/c it wastes time and I have small hands. Result: arms and hands still get cut up. But hitting the head, well, I think thats just bad-luck/accidental.
The worst that happened to me was when I was holding a metal plate used for train tracks to be placed under the floor jack. String broke and it landed on my foot............
Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

ahh the good ol busted knuckle stories...how i have so many of you...

seems like every time i touch the motor she bites back :D
Old 10-28-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only major issue I had was when I installed my rear tweeters in the window panel. I was cutting the panel to fit the bracket that holds the tweeter when...SLICE!...I cut the index finger on my left hand. It took 10 stitches to close it up. Thank god my gf's dad is a doctor! Cost = FREE!!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

on my old car (1997 mitsubishi eclipse) i changed my brake pads one time and i put the wheel back on, tightened the nuts, and went to spin the wheel to make sure it doesn't shimmy or shake. and little did i know the caliper was an 3 inches away. so i go to spin it, and my thumb gets caught on the caliper and the rim slamms into it. did it hurt? yes. could i use the thumb? well....NOW i can...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm I never got hurt with the Scion but on the integra, I had to take off the whole front end to change my headlights with halo headlamps and what with old bolts and screws being stripped and trying to get those off, i just got some scratches and tiny cuts on my arms and hands (just enough to make my arms look emo)-- but definitely nothing that required stitches..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think I've ever put anything on the car and walked away without some sort of blood on me.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my says it only hurts me because it loves me, and i just seem to ask for it sometimes...and it will kill me if i ever tell anyone.

but i did get one of my fingernails pulled back tot he point it was bleeding one time, hurt like mad, and i was doing interior work too, so i had to stop everything to not et blood on anything in my car.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did this when working on the Supra
Old 10-29-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i had a lot of busted knuckles, but the worst was when the hood fell on one of my finger and the hood latch locked so i had to call someone to come pop the hood undo the latch and then get my finger out, it was shattered, and very painful!

Quick Reply: getting hurt while working on your car