Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Got The "CEL" Symbol...........What Is My Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Got The "CEL" Symbol...........What Is My Problem?

Well, I took the car to autozone and it came back with these codes:

PO441

PO455

PO456

The light actually came on Saturday. I haven't changed the oil in some time, So I gave it an oil change. I disconnected the battery from the car for a few minutes to reset the lights......got in the car this morning and the light came back on

This couldn't have came in a better time seeing how I just got laid off from the job.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your best friend: http://www.obd-codes.com/

Those are all part of the evap system. The first thing any shop will tell you is to check your gas cap. Remove it and put it back on. Make sure it's tight. Drive around for a while.

Beyond that, you seem to have a leak in the evap system. Been there. I still had warranty at the time and it took a couple visits for the dealer to chase it down. There are a number of small evap hoses under your hood. If one of these has a hole in it anywhere, this could be your leak...

So check the gas cap first... give it a little while... then start looking under the hood at your hoses.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you top off your gas tank, stop it. Dont do it. Sometimes this leads to throwing Evap codes because liquid gas gets into the lines where there is just supposed to be vapor.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
If you top off your gas tank, stop it. Dont do it. Sometimes this leads to throwing Evap codes because liquid gas gets into the lines where there is just supposed to be vapor.
Top off= Over flowing of the gas? When you try and squeeze more gas into your car after the pump stops you?

Also, I still have my warranty as my car has about 62k miles and I'm covered up until 100k miles. Does that fall under the warranty? So I wouldn't need to pay for anything?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NeverBePeace
Top off= Over flowing of the gas? When you try and squeeze more gas into your car after the pump stops you?
Correct. Let it click off and leave it. Or stop it at a round number before it fills - if that's what you like.

Originally Posted by NeverBePeace
Also, I still have my warranty as my car has about 62k miles and I'm covered up until 100k miles. Does that fall under the warranty? So I wouldn't need to pay for anything?
Yes. It should be covered... of course this is assuming that you don't have any mods to your car that would affect the evap system (can't think of what would). I even had an intake installed when I took mine in - wasn't a problem.

However... this will vary by dealer. My dealer just happens to be cool about that sort of thing. Some are ****** and will fight you to not have to pay your warranty claim. Push back if you have to.

Mine ended up being a small (4"?) 90° piece of tubing that had a puncture. Took forever to find, but that was the problem.