Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Got into a small accident in brooklyn

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 12:22 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Got into a small accident in brooklyn

So around 11 am i was heading to the traffic court in brooklyn.
i was behind a ford taurus and he tried to make a u turn but did not make it so he put his car in reverse and hit me.
but the worst thing is he get out of the car, saw my car went back to his car and drived off. iu got his plate number and when cops came the car had no insurance and suspended registration.
Now my insurance says that i have to pay for the damage and i have to pay 1000 deductible to fix my bumper, headlight and fender.

Is there any way i can get the guy who hit me to pay me?

Cops told me that they cant do anything because they dont know if the owner or other person was driving the car.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You stayed inside your car while he got out of his, looked at the damage, got back into his car, and drove off?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you file a accident report with the cops? If so, take it to small claims court.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spoony
You stayed inside your car while he got out of his, looked at the damage, got back into his car, and drove off?
i came out he saw the damage and drove off

Originally Posted by N0AuTHoRiTy
Did you file a accident report with the cops? If so, take it to small claims court.
can i?
even if i dont have his name
Old 12-29-2010, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nylitc
i came out he saw the damage and drove off

can i?
even if i dont have his name
Thats so weird what the cops told you. You can identify the guy, thats proof enough that he was driving.

They should have done something, he broke the law by doing a hit and run.

I would go down to the station and talk to someone else about this.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned
SL Member

NYPD sucks

will try to go to small claim courts.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd file a police report for a hit and run.
Then when the police look up the registration for the car it will say suspended like you already know. Hopefully you can then get a name & address drive on by and if the cars there that's who you take to small claims court. If the car isn't there kindly ask who they may have sold it to.

I will say that the situation your in sucks.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you cant file a claim in small claims court unless you have a person of interest your trying to sue..soo somehow you need to figure out the dudes name ? and im shocked your insurance wont cover it..maybe get a difference insurance company..?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

they will cover it but i have to pay 1000 deductible which i dont have at this moment
Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Banned
SL Member

also my insurance company ran the plate number but for security purpose they coulnt gave me info
Old 12-29-2010, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have uninsured motorist property damage coverage on your policy? if so, this is what it is for.

BTW, if your insurance company pays for your damages under your collision coverage, it is their job to pursue the responsible party through collections if necessary. how bad were your damages? is there even $1000 worth of damages?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 AM
Banned
SL Member

not really but why do i have to pay for something that wasnt my fault.

i dont have the uninsured motorist but
Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 AM
Banned
SL Member

i just checked my online policy Geico and i have a supplementary uninsured motorist
Old 12-29-2010, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you buy an insurance policy, you're entering into an agreement for the coverages you're buying and the deductibles on your premiums. now you can have a lower deductible and higher premiums, or a lower premium and a higher deductible, it is up to you.

collision coverage covers a collision between your vehicle and just about any other terrestrial object, be it fixed or moving. to use this coverage you have to pay your deductible regardless of who is at fault. if you don't want to use your coverage, you need the at-fault party to pay, or their insurance company to pay.

if you use your collision coverage, your insurance company gains subrogation rights, which means they pursue the responsible party on your behalf to recover the money they spent to fix you're vehicle as well as your deductible.

now, in the event that you're in a collision with a person who does not have insurance, and you are not at fault for the collision, uninsured motorist coverages is supposed to cover the repairs, it usually has a lower deductible and other benefits.

but insurance policies and laws are different from company to company, and state to state because they all have different practices and laws.

i'm a claim adjuster with allstate, and handle claims from DC, MD and VA, so i know how claims work here, but NY has different laws and geico has different policies, so i don't know the specifics. you're best bet is to read your insurance policy and see how the coverages work.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

By filing a police report with the plate number you had, it is basically all the info you need. When the police run the plate number, it will provide them the name and address of the registered owner, and last insurance policy holder which should be in the police report. Once you get the police report, you can file that info into small claims court. Regardless, if it was the owner or not driving the vehicle at the time of the accident, it is the registered owners responsibility for whatever happens to the car while on the road. As long as it is not a reported stolen vehicle.

I think it is ridiculous that the cops told you they can't do anything. They can do something like...their job, by filing a police report for you.

Last edited by N0AuTHoRiTy; 12-29-2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in a hit and run incident, didn't get any plate info but did know that car year, make, model, and color. Police were called, they did a report, and next day I called my insurance and said they would file it under uninsured motorist and a deductible would have to be paid(for me few hundred). The police found the car and the driver owned up to it, this I found out from my insurance and told me I wouldn't have to pay the deductible and they'll be contacting the other person's insurance. Def sucks to hear about the situation, and that deductible is outrageous, may things work in your favor, and soon.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would start paying higher premiums if I were you. I have a $250 deductible. I love it, especially for the stupid hit and runs.

I would never be able to pay $1000 deductible on the spot and be comfortable financially. I'm an out of state college student and it sucks even with my work study.

Sucks to hear though. I was in a hit and run when I first started driving. The guy ran into me and drove off. I was driving a jeep and it didn't get banged up too bad, but the other car got off quick before we could identify it and everything. I was still using my permit at the time.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You said you got his license plate number.. I don't have the exact URL for the .gov site that allows you to find an address from a license plate number. Last time I checked it, it was free. Google it.

Hence why I blur out my plate when posting pictures online.

Sorry to hear about your car. Hope things get fixed for you ASAP!