Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Got in my first accident today...what to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 PM
SL Member

Default Got in my first accident today...what to do

Well here's the story, and yes I'll make it quick.

I was parked in a parking lot, away from most people as I always do in a row that had no cars. Diagonally from me was a person who was driving a big tundra with a new harley in the back, figured he would be really careful not to damage anything on his truck. Well unfortunately I was wrong. Not even 30 seconds after I had walked into the store a guy comes in and asks "does anyone in here drive the white scion in the back of the parking lot?" I was like yea thats me, why? "I just backed into your car and we need to get someone out here" So right about now is when I started freaking out! I won my first trophy yesterday and then now this happens! He really did back into me, right into the drivers side rear and quarter panel which will need to be replaced. His truck had no damage (ofcourse) but the guy was really upset and felt really bad.

Biggest part of this experience...The guy hit my car in a parking lot...I was not there, meaning if he wanted to he could have just drove off and left my car there crunched. He had integrity and came into the store to find me and file a report. I was so thankful for this and we need more people like this.

So here are my questions...

1. I need a new bumper and my rear quarter panel needs to be replaced, will I get a decent check to use money for maybe and aftermarket body kit?

2. How much should it cost for both the bumper and panel, and then how much to paint them?

3. This is my first accident and really sucks so I just want to get advice on other things I can get with the money to turn this in to a good thing, any advice?

Thanks guys!
Drew
Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

idk about the quarter panel, but the bumpers are fairly cheap for oem so i doubt youll really get anything out of it
Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i don't know what insurance company you have, but they only give you a check for the amount that is quoted to you by an auto body shop. You usually don't get extra money unless you've been injured. You can probably get the aftermarket body kit out of your head.

Second of all the prices of these items varies where ever you go. If i were you i would go to a body shop that the dealer you bought the car from goes to, then you know that they deal with Toyota's all the time and will have the best match for your paint. Also labor might be a little less that way.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

the other guy has no insurance? that would be my only worry
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ ditto. You're lucky. He was a good guy to do that. Not much you could do with the rear end. I think if you got ur hood messed up you might be able to get a CF hood, but back there. Can't really do anything.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member

Well like they've already said your insurance is gonna pay to repair the damage, and that's about it. The cost to repair your car varies from state to state, but all you have to pay is the deductible.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 PM
SL Member

Alright so pretty much not gonna be able to get anything out of it?

And yes the other guy has insurance thank god and yea it was pretty much a miracle he came in and got me.

Will the dealers repair shop quote it or will i have to take it to a different shop?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:51 PM
SL Member

Yea I hope it doesn't either, and again thats the thing I am the most thankful for, the fact that he came in to the store and could come get me...

Left out the part that the guy was just getting his bike tied down right and starting his 7 hour drive to Washington DC
Old 08-24-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by st3ph3nt4n
Dang that sucks.. but at least the guy has some heart. Hopefully your insurance doesn't go up because of this =X tc's tend to be one of the most expensive.
Your insurance doesn't go up if the accident wasn't your fault. If it does, I would search for another insurance provider.

The guy that got you does have a heart, but he also wasted your time and also lower the value of your TC if you ever want to resale it. But don't worry too much, you'll be back and running in no time.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ can't you have his insurence pay for the lose in resale aswell. I forget what its called but I'm pretty sure you can do it.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM
SL Member

I think you are right hans. But I'm not sure if I will be able to do that.

To answer your question st3ph3nt4n: His truck was a tundra so it sat high, he had a motorcycle in the back( however i wasn't parked directly behind him), so he was just careless and wasn't paying attention I think.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My younger sister got into an accident a few month ago. It was hit and run, but they got the person (she ran because she was scared and didn't speak english). She got a laywer and went to the chiropractor a few time because her back was hurt. She end up getting a check for 4G an her car repaired.

Originally Posted by robertjz80
Well like they've already said your insurance is gonna pay to repair the damage, and that's about it. The cost to repair your car varies from state to state, but all you have to pay is the deductible.
If you are not at fault, let the other person's insurance handle the claim, you will not have to pay a deductible. Their insurance will pay for all damages to your car. The other person will have to pay their deductible.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There are more people like him... me. ;) I got cut off once and swerved so that I wouldn't hit that car and hit a parked minivan. I left them a note with my contact info and we went through my insurance (and of course my rate went up ).

But, to answer your other question, my insurance is Progressive. Let's say the Progressive adjustor and/or their approved body shop look at the damage and say that it'll cost $4000.00 to fix. I think I can then take that $4,000.00 check and bring it to a body shop of my choosing that might charge less and then you can use that leftover money to buy stuff. Or am I wrong here?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
SL Member

Yes his insurance will be covering all of the repairs and no one was ruled "at fault" because I was not in my vehicle when the accident happened. So he pretty just backed into a parked public vehicle as the police officer explained it.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RammsteinNicCage
There are more people like him... me. ;) I got cut off once and swerved so that I wouldn't hit that car and hit a parked minivan. I left them a note with my contact info and we went through my insurance (and of course my rate went up ).

But, to answer your other question, my insurance is Progressive. Let's say the Progressive adjustor and/or their approved body shop look at the damage and say that it'll cost $4000.00 to fix. I think I can then take that $4,000.00 check and bring it to a body shop of my choosing that might charge less and then you can use that leftover money to buy stuff. Or am I wrong here?
thats exaclty what i was wanting to know...
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RammsteinNicCage

That makes sense, once you get the check, it's up to you to do whatever you want with it. It's not the most moral way to approach the sitaution though.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

When I did get my car repaired at the approved body shop, I think I was supposed to sign something certifying that I did use the money to fix the car (I never did sign it, lost the paper and don't remember exactly what it said...).

It's also not morally right that auto body shops markup the price on insurance claims (although, when they overcharge insurance companies, they could charge non-insurance claims a little less...). We went to a shop to find out about getting my g-pa's car fixed after the landlord backed into it... he said if we went through insurance, it would be about $2300, but if we paid cash ourselves, it would be about $900.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most everything that i have heard has been correct in some way.

This is how it works.
- His insurance company will contact you (if not call them).

- An adjuster will come out and look at the damage to your car.

- Most of the companies will right you a check right there. (I would go to a repair shop and get a quote. That way you have something to go off.

- If the adjuster writes you a check and when you go and get it fixed and it cost more then they expected or more then the insurance company gave you. All you have to do is tell them the to deal with the insurance company for the rest of the money.

- Don't expect to ge to get anything extra just be happy that your car will be fixed.

Thats the best advice i can give you. Hope it helps.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:41 AM
SL Member

^That sounds like thats whats going to happen with me. We'll see how it goes and what should i do about the loss of value thing they were talking about?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by reelknead1
Most everything that i have heard has been correct in some way.

This is how it works.
- His insurance company will contact you (if not call them).

- An adjuster will come out and look at the damage to your car.

- Most of the companies will right you a check right there. (I would go to a repair shop and get a quote. That way you have something to go off.

- If the adjuster writes you a check and when you go and get it fixed and it cost more then they expected or more then the insurance company gave you. All you have to do is tell them the to deal with the insurance company for the rest of the money.

- Don't expect to ge to get anything extra just be happy that your car will be fixed.

Thats the best advice i can give you. Hope it helps.

This is spot on -- it should be a very quick and easy process since the guy that hit you accepted full responsibility for the accident.

Regarding repair costs, I own an xB but I just had to have my driver's side quarter panel and rear bumper replaced. Cost was $3,200, about 80% of which was just for labor. Replacing a quarter panel is a very labor intensive job and requires a bit of skill to do properly. Make sure you take your car to a really good body shop for this, asking to see similar repairs they've done if possible. You definitely don't want to skimp on this and just pick the shop that gives you the best repair quote so you can come out of this with some money in your pocket.

Quick Reply: Got in my first accident today...what to do