2005-2010 [ANT10]

Grocery cart accident **final update 3/18/07

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Grocery cart accident **final update 3/18/07

I work at a grocery store. Today when I got out of work there was a dent in my driver's side quarter panel the size of a german shepherd. Does anyone have any idea if I can get the store to be held legally responsible for the damage. I am almost positive that it was a grocery cart.

Update: Estimate between $1200 and $1500

Picture of the crater.

****Final update: total cost of repair. $2180!!!!!!

They ended up not cutting out the quarter panel. It looks great but it cost a lot of money and took 5 whole days.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm I highly doubt you can blame the store. Its just one of those things you can only blame on the person that did it
Old 03-06-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

yep ^^^ i would say you are SOL

if grocery stores gave out money to everyone that got their car dinged in the lot the grocery stores wouldnt exist.

what would keep people from hittin something and then blaming it on someone in the lot? The tc doesnt take many trips to the store! I take the gf's mazda 3 if i wanna load up on munchies!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics. would be nice.

Getting a dent in the rear qtr panal is the worst spot to have one. My friends RSX had a moderate dent on his pass. rear qtr panal closer to the wheel well that a paintless dent repair technician could not fix. No paint intrusion or scratches were visible on the surface. The tech said something like there was hardly any access on the inside of the rear qtr panal. He said that the wheel well structure is cluttered in there. So my friend took it to a professional bodyshop and they recommended doing bodywork on the rear qtr panal ofcoarse and painting the whole right side of the car. His car was metallic blue and because of its color, the bodyshop wanted to do the job the right way and paint blend every body panal on the right side perfectly. Including the a-pillars, b-pillars, and c-pillars. But excluding the front and rear bumpers. I think the bill estimated to $1300. He ended up getting most it covered through his insurance and paid whatever his deductible.

If I were you, I would file a police report. Your ins. probably will need that for you to claim for repairs.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hit and run claim
Old 03-06-2007, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Oh yeah. Don't even mention on the report that you think a grocery cart hit it.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, what you do is go to the store director that day. THAT DAY.

then you say i have a huge dent in my car and I think a cart did it.

Then get them to see the parking lot cameras and what happened.

if it was a car, try to get the plates, if it was a shopping cart, complain and call the corporate office of the grocery store and they will help you fix it.

you just have to be persistant and complain hard and long enough, and if they say no, go to higher sources.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crappy things going against me.

1. It was really windy today.
2. No cameras in the parking lot.
3. If I say it was a hit and run my deductible is $500. For a shopping cart it would be "vandalism" only $300.
4. I work there! I park in the very last spot as far from idiots as possible. There was no one parked within 20 spaces of me.
5. This isn't a ding. It is no lie the size of a manhole cover. It goes from the wheel well to the door.

I don't get how the cart could have been going fast enough to make a dent that deep. I'll post pics tomorrow. People suck.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ unless it was a shopping cart filled with cinder blocks, I doubt it had enough force to cause the damage you are describing.

Somebody hit you with a car, or you ____ed somebody off and they smacked your car up.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:57 AM
SL Member

If the damage is as large as you described there is no way a cart could get that much momentum unless, yes, it was filled with cinder blocks. Tell the store someone hit your car in the parking lot (so there is a record) and then get ready to pay the deductible. Sorry I really don't see a free way to get this fixed.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah, that sucks. Sorry to say but I don't think there's much you can do.

The problem are the lazy citizens of this country. Just pushing carts into other cars (or just putting it in the middle of the lot, blocking parking spots and allowing them to roll at the slightest incline or wind), rather than walking the few feet back to the cart return stations.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:10 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul34
Ah, that sucks. Sorry to say but I don't think there's much you can do.

The problem are the lazy citizens of this country. Just pushing carts into other cars (or just putting it in the middle of the lot, blocking parking spots and allowing them to roll at the slightest incline or wind), rather than walking the few feet back to the cart return stations.
I agree...No one appreciates ____ these days! because if they did they would not be so careless. Also before people start assuming I am making a comment towards them I AM NOT. I appreciate my vehicles and possessions and I know a lot of others do to!
Old 03-06-2007, 03:47 AM

Ouch.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the moral of the story is park far away. you can always use the exercise, and you are less likely to get hit. i always take time to find a safe spot for my tc because lets face it, people can't park.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LoL forget that....just walk to work and keep your baby at home.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
the moral of the story is park far away. you can always use the exercise, and you are less likely to get hit. i always take time to find a safe spot for my tc because lets face it, people can't park.
I know this is off topic but i saw a kid 3 years ago at college slam into a car while parking ....then he got so wedged that when he tried to get out he kept hitting the car. I was not funny at all but I was laughing and saying "oh my god" at the same time.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I work at a grocery store......Does anyone have any idea if I can get the store to be held legally responsible for the damage.
find out who was on cart detail that day and whoop that bootie.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Dude, the same thing happened to me. I literally picked the cart up off the ground and threw it as far as I could, all while using choice words. My wife was embarrassed but I didn't care.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Dude, the same thing happened to me. I literally picked the cart up off the ground and threw it as far as I could, all while using choice words. My wife was embarrassed but I didn't care. People suck!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcleazy-girl
Pics. would be nice.

Getting a dent in the rear qtr panal is the worst spot to have one. My friends RSX had a moderate dent on his pass. rear qtr panal closer to the wheel well that a paintless dent repair technician could not fix. No paint intrusion or scratches were visible on the surface. The tech said something like there was hardly any access on the inside of the rear qtr panal. He said that the wheel well structure is cluttered in there. So my friend took it to a professional bodyshop and they recommended doing bodywork on the rear qtr panal ofcoarse and painting the whole right side of the car. His car was metallic blue and because of its color, the bodyshop wanted to do the job the right way and paint blend every body panal on the right side perfectly. Including the a-pillars, b-pillars, and c-pillars. But excluding the front and rear bumpers. I think the bill estimated to $1300. He ended up getting most it covered through his insurance and paid whatever his deductible.

If I were you, I would file a police report. Your ins. probably will need that for you to claim for repairs.
x2... I had a dent about 4-5 inches long but very shallow, right above the wheel well on my driver's side rear quarter panel. Since the paint was already mixed (because someone hit my bumper) they charged me only $300. But the paintless dent guy would have only been $100. He tried and couldn't do it. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Grocery cart accident **final update 3/18/07