Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Has anyone had the rear roof/hatch rattle fixed, for good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone had the rear roof/hatch rattle fixed, for good?

Has anyone with a 2005 tC had the rear roof/hatch rattle fixed, for good? One of the noises is coming from the headliner around the rear dome light.
I have only seen post with people who have not had them fixed. I will be taking it back for a 5th time, the last time they ended up taking out the rubber molding on the windshield (don't ask me why) and could not put it back in, they had to order a replacement windshield. (that was over a month ago and I go back in this Monday). The rattles started at about 6 months/ 3,000 miles, and I have the roof and side air bags.

They also could not put the car back together right (besides the windshield molding) all the trim and side plastic molding is not back in place, I could even see the airbag on the front driver side pillar.

Anyway if you have had the problem fixed, and it has stayed fixed, please let me know what they did to fix it.

I have had the spot weld done on the rear glass, that did nothing for the noise.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Banned
SL Member

I am experiencing the same problem. I took my car in for the rattling sound and they installed the foam tape. Unfortunately it was still rattling. The tech and service writer wanted to replace my headliner but later found a TSB that matched the problem my vehicle was having...as well as others on this site. Needless to say my roof and headliner have to be removed completely to properly spot weld the structure together. looks like my car is going to be M.I.A. in the body shop for a couple days. Have someone ride in the backseat and hold the headliner just to the sides of the dome light. See if that makes a difference.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same **** with my car too! Still working out the details, I guess. I suppose it is different with each Tc but it seems the more you change the suspension and stiffen it up, the sun roof seems to creak more, if you have that problem. I took my car in for a rattle noise 3 times and it came back with a new noise, it's like a rattle from the right rear cabin. But, they still didn't fix the sun roof creaking noise.. wtf
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM

I have. spent a lot of time trying to fix the hatch rattle and i finally fixed it. haven't heard the hatch rattle for a few weeks now.

I never understood why people keep taking their car to the dealer when it can be fixed on your own. it just took some trial and error, but the noise is definitely fixable.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FLEA
I am experiencing the same problem. I took my car in for the rattling sound and they installed the foam tape. Unfortunately it was still rattling. The tech and service writer wanted to replace my headliner but later found a TSB that matched the problem my vehicle was having...as well as others on this site. Needless to say my roof and headliner have to be removed completely to properly spot weld the structure together. looks like my car is going to be M.I.A. in the body shop for a couple days. Have someone ride in the backseat and hold the headliner just to the sides of the dome light. See if that makes a difference.
Ya they did the spot weld on mine, and its is still there, a friend had the spot weld and it was good for a month then came back.

Also when they did the spot weld they did not put the headliner back right.

So it looks like no one had the problem fixed at the dealership? or has had it fixed for longer than a few months?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is my latest: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...378&highlight=