2005-2010 [ANT10]

Has anyone used clear "tint" on their windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anyone used clear "tint" on their windshield

Last edited by paul34; 02-15-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

i have heard of this, but dont know anyone that has actually done it.

My car is parked in the mall parking lot so shade is non existant, I just make sure my windows are closed, sunshade is drawn, and i have one of those reflective shields that you put in your windshield while ur car is parked. Helps a ton.

I actually put my hand on my dash last week after work just to feel the hottness and i burned the crap outta my hand. My polished aluminum shift **** doesnt really help either, so i have to put a towel on it while im at work so i dont burn my hand every time i have to switch gears!

im gonna do a lil searchin and see what i can find.... I SHALL RETURN! :D
Old 07-13-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I Havnt heard of it. I have 50 percent tint across the whole windsheild of my tc, plus 10 percent tint all around the rest of the car. Car stays pretty cool all day.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know exactly what you are taking about:

its cheap as hell.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 AM
SL Member

if u go to a shop and get the highest tint on your car possible you can barelly notice it on there..... on my old car i had 20 % tint around and i think its 90% im not to sure i cant rememebr, you ant even notice the tint unless u look really closelly or u take a razor to the window..... so just go to a shop and get the highest level tint they have
Old 07-13-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Highest level tint doesn't necessarily mean close to 100% IR reflection. I do remember that our windows block out 100% of UVA/B light but blocking out IR would definitely be nice. I think they do reflect a little IR though..
Old 07-14-2007, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

not to sure, but when i leved in florida u just used a shade in when parked and i also just dealt with it while driving, although i am moving back the the bay area and would love to hear what u find out, keep me posted!!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww man, no one cares? I thought more people would care about trying to compensate for the tC's AC issues
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mine stays ICE COLD! No problems here!
Old 07-14-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does this help any? http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...ad.php?t=92444
Old 07-21-2007, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Has anyone used clear "tint" on their windshie

Originally Posted by paul34
However, I hate tinting windshields... I think its dangerous (not to mention illegal and a pretty bad thing to have if, say, you get into an accident... your insurance company won't like you)
I don't know how people drive around with 20% on their fronts, that's bananas.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually - the best option now seems to be to find a Huper Optik installer who installs Huper Optik Klasse series DREI film.

59% light transmittance, 86% IR rejection.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NP Paul, glad I could be of some help to you. I'm actually looking into the v-kool right now Gonna find out if they have an installer out here and how much...sounds really expensive.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm. That sounds pretty interesting paul. I personally hate it when I get into my car. Turn the AC on high and all I get is Hot air blowing through the vents for the first minuet or so because of the heat in the car. I might look around for this stuff around here.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by krollmonster

i have 5% on my front, no problems here
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by maximthegreat
Originally Posted by krollmonster

i have 5% on my front, no problems here
5% at the top or the ENTIRE windshield?
Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got an estimate for the to rap the windshield in ceramic window "tint". It would cost me around $200 bucks! But the ____ works awsome. So i'm just waiting to get paid and i'm getting it. It comes in the same % as regular tint, so you can get it really high and you wont notice it on the windshield.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by paul34
Wow, it seems like I can't catch a break. I tried posting on tintdude.com (a tinter's forum), and this one guy won't give me a break about how illegal it is, despite a detailed and carefully-checked explanation of my primary concern for safety and keeping the "tint" the same as clear glass - thus meaning its not really tint... :nixweiss: . He's really bumming me out.

I tried e-mailing a few places with this e-mail:
Hello,

I found your location through the solar guard dealer locator website.

I am currently seeking a solution to the massive amount of heat which comes through my windshield. As such, I’ve been researching tints with high light transmittance levels but also possess high infrared rejection levels. I found V-Kool films, which have a ~70% light transmittance, and 94% IR rejection rate, but no one seems to install it in Florida.

I also found Huper Optik Klasse DREI film which also seems to fit my criteria – does your location sell and install this film?

Lastly, I think the Solar Guard might also be good. However, the lack of a specific IR rejection concerns me. Do you know what the percentage is? I only find a “solar heat rejection” percentage which is a vague figure.

I drive a 2007 Scion tC and would like to get the windshield “tinted” with the type of film I mentioned before. I was hoping you could help me, although I can understand if you cannot give me a quote over e-mail (as I’m not sure if you are familiar with the windshield size on the Scion tC).

Thanks much,
And this is one reply I got:

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM?..... THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT?
Are you kidding me? What kind of business replies like that?
after a response like that, I wouldn't want to do business with him.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

That's hilarity! I too hate how damn hot my tC gets...
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're getting those replies because what you are asking for is a flagrant violation of FMVSS-205 and most any professional window tinter will not do what you are asking for (a full windshield). Darkness is not important. "Clear" is equally illegal as 5% limo. Most will not even discuss the process or a price for it, much less even doing it.

It is also illegal in all 50 states, aside from being a federal violation (FMVSS-205) for the installer.

Also.. ALL windshields already have a clear plastic layer sandwiched inside them and adding any extra film to block heat or UV relatively pointless. No matter how "good" or expensive the film you apply to glass, it is NOT going to keep the car any cooler if it's sitting idle in the sun for any length of time. You can paint an old-fashioned heating radiator any color you want, it's not going to make it give off less heat (you following the comparison?)

Adding a layer of film to a windshield also changes it's engineered properties. A film coated windshield has a higher PSI strength than cured concrete. Hitting a tinted windshield with your head in an accident is a near death sentence. A windshield is designed to flex (whether it's your head, your airbag, etc), it cannot perform as designed when coated.

So.. short version. Not only is it wildly illegal (IN ANY DARKNESS) in every single state in the country - with the accompanying $10,000 fine on a first time offense for the installer and the conviction on their record - it is simply, physically unsafe. That's not a debatable statement. It's fact.

---and with all that said, are there installers that will do it? Sure. You're not likely to ever find one on the phone or in email that that will even talk to you though. They're not THAT dumb to fall for such "obvious" law enforcement traps.[/b][/u]

Quick Reply: Has anyone used clear "tint" on their windshield