Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Has anyone used clear "tint" on their windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...wow thats funny, especially since I'm staring at the phone number for the installer thats going to do mine. So I guess "You're not likely to ever find one on the phone or in email that will even talk to you though." is false. And I differ on you when it comes to adding tint and it doing no good. You can tint your side windows and notice a nice decrease in temps. If you get a "clear" tint then its the same thing. It's specially engineered to absorb and reflect infrared...which means "heat energy" So its not illegal as long as its not tinting the glass. Stock glass is usually about 75% visibility anyway man, and vCool is designed to be clear but retain the IR blocking properties. Unless your able to see IR, then its not going to effect you at all besides making it cooler in the car. Cheers.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok. I guess you got me. Your few phone calls and a Google search just trumped my 19 1/2 years in the window films and laminations industries.

Did I say you WOULDN'T or were not LIKELY to find someone on the phone? There are plenty of low end installers who are dumb enough to give quotes for ILLEGAL work over the phone. For the last time, tint the entire front windshield is illegal, it is a FEDERAL law.

Who said film does NO GOOD, period.? It does little to no good on a WINDSHIELD. PLEASE, brush up on your reading comprehension and then on your understand of laminated versus tempered glass. A windshield is laminated - again - by law, and already has a thick layer of clear plastic INSIDE the glass layers. i.e. Laminated. Excepting a few models of vehicles - SIDE windows are NOT laminated and therefore do benefit a great deal from having a plastic UV and IR inhibiting film applied to them.

Go ahead.. tint the front windshield with your clear film. It's your money you're wasting. And please, spare me all the special details on how great this V-kool film is. I've been a distributor of it for years and have installed countless thousands of square feet of it, I already know how it works and can recite all the company literature from rote memory. But you're the expert, so I yield the floor to you.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionSemper
ok. I guess you got me. Your few phone calls and a Google search just trumped my 19 1/2 years in the window films and laminations industries.

Did I say you WOULDN'T or were not LIKELY to find someone on the phone? There are plenty of low end installers who are dumb enough to give quotes for ILLEGAL work over the phone. For the last time, tint the entire front windshield is illegal, it is a FEDERAL law.

Who said film does NO GOOD, period.? It does little to no good on a WINDSHIELD. PLEASE, brush up on your reading comprehension and then on your understand of laminated versus tempered glass. A windshield is laminated - again - by law, and already has a thick layer of clear plastic INSIDE the glass layers. i.e. Laminated. Excepting a few models of vehicles - SIDE windows are NOT laminated and therefore do benefit a great deal from having a plastic UV and IR inhibiting film applied to them.

Go ahead.. tint the front windshield with your clear film. It's your money you're wasting. And please, spare me all the special details on how great this V-kool film is. I've been a distributor of it for years and have installed countless thousands of square feet of it, I already know how it works and can recite all the company literature from rote memory. But you're the expert, so I yield the floor to you.
Just cause you got 19.5 yrs in the business doesn't mean your right ;)

I never said that you said I "wouldn't" You said not likely. Not all of the installers are low end doing illegal work. I called vKool corp to get the number of their professional installer out here. If its illegal then I doubt the company would advertise that they make tint for automobiles... http://www.v-kool-usa.com/automotive.html

That federal law that you mention...yeah googled that too still doesn't satisfy me enough to make your point true, sry, it just doesnt have enough "federal" info saying its illegal.

Who said film does no good? You did "Also.. ALL windshields already have a clear plastic layer sandwiched inside them and adding any extra film to block heat or UV relatively pointless. No matter how "good" or expensive the film you apply to glass, it is NOT going to keep the car any cooler if it's sitting idle in the sun for any length of time. You can paint an old-fashioned heating radiator any color you want, it's not going to make it give off less heat (you following the comparison?) "

Brush up on my reading comprehension? Maybe you should take a lesson in reading comp too since no where in my reply to you did I state or argue laminate vs. temper.
Go ahead, read it again "...wow thats funny, especially since I'm staring at the phone number for the installer thats going to do mine. So I guess "You're not likely to ever find one on the phone or in email that will even talk to you though." is false. And I differ on you when it comes to adding tint and it doing no good. You can tint your side windows and notice a nice decrease in temps. If you get a "clear" tint then its the same thing. It's specially engineered to absorb and reflect infrared...which means "heat energy" So its not illegal as long as its not tinting the glass. Stock glass is usually about 75% visibility anyway man, and vCool is designed to be clear but retain the IR blocking properties. Unless your able to see IR, then its not going to effect you at all besides making it cooler in the car. Cheers." I already know about lam. vs temper so your little argument got you no where with me, sry.

Again, just to recap, you do realize we are arguing the legality of a "tint" that no one is ever going to see right? I mean seriously how many cops have you heard of going up to peoples cars at traffic stops with light meters checking to see if their windshield is in limits. I bet it is slim to none, b/c they would only do that if the windshield were significantly darker. We are talking about a tint that is very close to the transparency of the stock glass...
Old 08-09-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you talking about something like this
http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-uv.html
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah sounds like the best bet might just be a sunscreen for the front window and that would help keep the dash temp down and maybe help the a/c work better since less heat will radiate out of the dash.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

huper optik is absolutley amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! ive personally seen it and tested it incoparison to my tint (3m) i couldnt afford the huper obtik tho... i tested the tint with a heat lamp and you could feel the heat very fast and after a minute you didnt want to touch it..... on the huper obtik it stayed really cool and the huper optik was a 50 percent tint and the 3m was a 10percent..... and for tinting the front windshield you can find places to do it you have to ask and they wont give u a recipt for the tint either.... i live in arizona the tint regs are 35 on front 2 and limos on back i have 4 on the back 50 on the front and 14 on the fronts you cant even tell the frontwind is tinted but it definetly makes a difference just on the steerwheel alone you can feel the difference.... if anyone is in arizona air park tint does a good job.... and there are plenty of other places that do it as well.... if you can find a place go to a car show and find a person who has a tinted fronted windshield and ask them where they got it done it. hope this helps