2005-2010 [ANT10]

Hatch Rattle - Finally Happened to Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spydersocal
Hello, I am currently considering tC. I wanted to provide a tip regarding the hatch rattle. There is a very simple FIX!
I used to own a Nissan Pathfinder and after some 30K miles I noticed some very annoying rattles from hatch when running over bumps or rough patches. For the life of me I could not figure it out where it's coming from, I removed loose things from truck and checked and make sure everything it tight. Until one day I complained to Nissan service guy. So here's something to try to see if this works,
does the tC hatch has ANY RUBBER FEET on the inside of the hatch that cushiones the hatch to the frame of the car??
If so, all you do is buy some silicon spray and run some silicon onto the rubber feet and the squeaks rattles will be GONE!!! This worked like magic on my Pathfinder. But you will have to repeat this every month or so or until the squeaks rattles start to appear again, that's it! TRY IT
Thanks for suggestion. Somebody did post a suggestion to put a "felt strip" on each of the bumpers which are on each side of the hatch. Didn't help much though. But I will try to spray the bumpers/rubber feet with the wet lithium and see what happens. So far my best has been the lining the plastic part next to the latch (not the hatch but the frame of car) with hoodie sleeves to help cushion.

Kevin
Old 06-21-2005, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member

Well, my pathfinder has two single rubber feet on each side of inside hatch, when the rubber feet get old and dry they make squeaky sounds and shift slightly in a moving car which cause the hatch rattle...I am not familiar with "wet lithium" but the silicon spray is cheap, all you do is rub some on each feet so before you install anything try it first.
My pathfinder rear hatch went completely silient as soon as silicon was applied to rubber feet!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have expierenced the same thing with CaptainTC . from the drivers seat it seems like it comes from teh right rear and then from teh passenger seat it sounds like left rear etc etc . Personally I dont think its the rubber feet or the latch not being tight (in this situation) . I honestly believe its the panels of the hatch . The only way to desribe the sound of the rattle is like a wire rattling against the glass or metal body of the hatch . Does anyone know how the rear window defroster runs under the panels ? . Also looking closely at last panel that covers the license plate area there is a gap . I plan on lookin at it more closely tomorrow in the day , Will post any other findings I discover
Old 06-22-2005, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, 17K isn't an expensive car by any means, but its not bottom of the line and a new car should not rattle like mine does in any price range. I could handle a squeek here and there but EVERYWHERE is just bad.

I owned a brand new $12,000 96 Neon for 2 years and a $16,500 98 Mustang for 7 years and never heared a rattle in either one, so I get tired of hearing that its because the car is cheap. Come on, this is a Toyota and more expensive than my Plymouth and Ford.

I did take my car in the other week and to get my oil changes and also look at the rattles....they said they heard nothing unusual....WHAT! I doubt they even looked very hard, I wish I had checked the mileage before and after to see if they even drove it or they just drove about the lot once....LOOSERS. I heard it all the way to the dealer and all the way back. I also had a list of about 5-8 area with squeeks, rattles and pops and they fixed none...I don't even think they did the TSB for the sunroof, even after I told them about it. I will be taking it to another dealers soon.

Originally Posted by Captain tC
Originally Posted by fearturtle44
From talking to the Toyota mechanics, all rattles are vey difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes they can fix and most times it is the car owner who does something to fix. Hasn't been as bad lately either because I have fixed the problem to some degree, turned up the music, gotten used to it, or all of the above!!

And rattles are not unique with the tC. I had a Highlander which had a constant rattle in the back which nobody could ever find or fix.

Kevin
Thats the annoying part, finding the rattle location. It sounds like its rear right to me. But my front passenger says it rear left. And my back passenger says its rear top. ARGH!

I dont agree with the price comparison replies. There are many brand new cars in the same price range (many lower) that are problem free. And 17K really isnt all that cheap the way some people make it sounds.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, 17K isn't an expensive car by any means, but its not bottom of the line and a new car should not rattle like mine does in any price range. I could handle a squeek here and there but EVERYWHERE is just bad.

I owned a brand new $12,000 96 Neon for 2 years and a $16,500 98 Mustang for 7 years and never heared a rattle in either one, so I get tired of hearing that its because the car is cheap. Come on, this is a Toyota and more expensive than my Plymouth and Ford.

I did take my car in the other week and to get my oil changes and also look at the rattles....they said they heard nothing unusual....WHAT! I doubt they even looked very hard, I wish I had checked the mileage before and after to see if they even drove it or they just drove about the lot once....LOOSERS. I heard it all the way to the dealer and all the way back. I also had a list of about 5-8 area with squeeks, rattles and pops and they fixed none...I don't even think they did the TSB for the sunroof, even after I told them about it. I will be taking it to another dealers soon.

From talking to the Toyota mechanics, all rattles are vey difficult to pinpoint. Sometimes they can fix and most times it is the car owner who does something to fix. Hasn't been as bad lately either because I have fixed the problem to some degree, turned up the music, gotten used to it, or all of the above!!

And rattles are not unique with the tC. I had a Highlander which had a constant rattle in the back which nobody could ever find or fix.

Kevin
Thats the annoying part, finding the rattle location. It sounds like its rear right to me. But my front passenger says it rear left. And my back passenger says its rear top. ARGH!

I dont agree with the price comparison replies. There are many brand new cars in the same price range (many lower) that are problem free. And 17K really isnt all that cheap the way some people make it sounds.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kevin

Old 06-22-2005, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by atticdog
the plastic panel inside at the top of the hatch seems to make alot of noise if you push on it by hand
I wonder if this is a source or alot of the hatch rattles
it's definately the source of mine. in fact all three of the light colored pieces are the source of mine. anyone else have this? and can it be fixed with that foam stuff that the dealers use?
Old 06-22-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hold up... i thought a tsb was out for the rattle? i was gonna bring it in and complain next time i got an oil change. *bump
Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaewon223
hold up... i thought a tsb was out for the rattle? i was gonna bring it in and complain next time i got an oil change. *bump
There is a TSB for the MOONROOF pop/rattle but not one for the hatch rattle.

Kevin
Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cripplerScion

Kevin

Sorry to hear about your rattle . I worked in service as an advisor for a few years and, as many on this post have said, rattles are VERY difficult to isolate, let alone repair. I can't speak to the quality of every Scion dealer in the country, but I know the vast majority would do their best to find your rattle. Sometimes the problem occurs too intermittently to be heard on a tech's drive, no matter how often it seems to occur when you are driving it. I'll check with our techs here to see if they've encountered any rattling in the tCs they've serviced and let you guys know if they have any suggestions.

Casey
Old 06-22-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats driving me crazy is my dash is squeeking drives me crazy, the hatch only rattles on big bumps which any car would. but the dash.....ugh
Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by c_rowe
Originally Posted by cripplerScion

Kevin

Sorry to hear about your rattle . I worked in service as an advisor for a few years and, as many on this post have said, rattles are VERY difficult to isolate, let alone repair. I can't speak to the quality of every Scion dealer in the country, but I know the vast majority would do their best to find your rattle. Sometimes the problem occurs too intermittently to be heard on a tech's drive, no matter how often it seems to occur when you are driving it. I'll check with our techs here to see if they've encountered any rattling in the tCs they've serviced and let you guys know if they have any suggestions.

Casey
Thanks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will definitely ask the techs about it at my next oil change as well. All the little unidentifiable noises in the car are really starting to deduct points from the "fun to drive" factor.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a super ghetto fix for hatch rattle is to wrap the latch with a few layers of electrical tape. i've done it on 13 year old integras and 240sx's, and its worked quite well. of course the tape gets worn away each time you open/close the hatch, so the tape needs to be removed & reapplied from time to time.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member

I have to agree with HKSpeed. The best fix for me was wrapping a few layers of tape around the hatch latch. I did this a couple of months ago and it's been fine ever since.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by intrepid design
whats driving me crazy is my dash is squeeking drives me crazy, the hatch only rattles on big bumps which any car would. but the dash.....ugh
that's most likely the radio cover making that noise