Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Help! Fresh out of college..Buying a Scion TC..Newbie-ish

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help! Fresh out of college..Buying a Scion TC..Newbie-ish

How's it going everyone?

I've been reading this message board for the last 2 weeks and I've decided I'm going to get a Scion TC. I've been saving for the last year and currently in my last term of college. My student loans and bills are under control and I'm currenty driving a 1994 Ford Taurus. I was looking at 4 door cars like a BMW,Acura, or something nice" but I said 30K was pushing it and I'm still young. Then I found Scion TC is going to be my final choice "i think". I have about $5,000 to put down and was looking to spend $20k on a car. Since the Scion TC was in the 17K range I figured I'd have some money left over to install a TV/DVD player in the radio slot, and maybe leather seats etc. But anyways those are things I can decide after I decide if the TC is the car for me. Here are a couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to:

For starters,

I need something FASTER than my ford Taurus. My car maxs out at 90 MPH and when I go 80 it starts SHAKING! I was wondering how many MPH does a Scion TC go? I know it's 160 Horsepower. How does that compare to civics, TLs,etc? Honestly I don't need the fastest car in the world. I'm not into fast cars so to say but I want something that MOVES on the highway. Currently I cant drive in the fast lane because once I hit 80 my car feels like its going to fall apart.

Secondly, I'm not really into the performance of my car as long as its decent but I'm all about looks. I checked many galleries and seen lots of "dropped" cars, IE 1.5-2 inchs". I was wondering does the dealership do these? Also, the bodykits I see most of the TC's with, is that a dealer bodykit or are there others? If anyone has a car with the dealer body kit vs a non bodykit at all TC that would help.

Third, I like good music. Even in my Taurus I have a Sony CD player 200 watts and 2 infinity 6x9s speakers in the back seats. I'm not into very LOUD BASS that overides the voice in the songs. What I wanted to know is how is the factory install preium sound set? I was thinking of going with the lowest possible stock system from the dealership and having a sound place make me a system. However I do not want to loose space from a huge box in my trunk. So basically what I'm asking is what system would give me LOUD + CLEAR music? The same clarity as if I was playing it on a low level.

4) I need a good alarm on this car. I don't need autostart or anything but I do need something that gives me one of those "doot deets!" sound when I lock or open the car. Does the standard Scion TC alarm set do this?

5) I said, I'm not into performance that much but what is the TRD Sway bar? I know what TRD stands for but what does the sway bar really do!? Also, if you could explain other TC parts such as suspension in "normal non car peoples" terms that would be great.

6) I have a problem with LOUD cars. I do not want my car to have a loud muffler or anything of that sort. I use to leave across the street from an "after-part" fixer upers and I'd see all kinds are cars. One time I seen a car with a muffler that sounded like "water". It's hard to explain but it was very fast but VERY quiet at the same time. Is the standard muffler that comes with the TC quiet? Is there any aftermarket parts that I can use to make it quiet-er?

7) Automatic Vs 5 speed? I can't drive a 5 speed and I dont want to learn. However I heard about a TRD supercharge? I was thinking of getting that done if it was going to make my car faster. Would this work on an automatic car?

Wheels. I've seen lots of nice rims that were not on the Scion website. However, I understand you must buy the car with SOME wheels. Do you guys just pick the lowest option and install the other wheels yourself? Is it like changing a flat? I'm looking for 18-19 inch wheels. How much would those run me?

9)I wanted to go with some 2 tone seats or leather seats. I found this website on TCtuners.com called http://www.katzkin.com/. Has anyone had leather seats installed by them? It's my understand from reading that I cannot get sideairbags if I'm going to change the seats correct?

10) I want a DVD play/and or PS2 in my car. I was thinking of having the radio gutter and I could put a 7 inch moiter or something in that compartment. Has this been done? They have a new slim PS2 that would really save on size. I'm not really into games THAT much that I would play them in my car but I do want the option of DVDs so a PS2 would kill 2 birds with one stone. Espically with the new slimer body, I'm guessing I could stick it under the whole radio base. Any suggestions and can it be done. How much would I be looking at?

Sorry for the long post. Now that I look at this it seems like a lot of money. But the parts and addons will come every month after I buy the car. Initially I can spend 20K leaving the dealership and I'm guessing another 2-3K on seats, radios, rims etc. Please give me all the advice you can. Once again I found this site and tcturners. If there are other websites please link me and please post any pictures to help me "see" things.

Thanks
-FreshOutOfCollege
P.S. Sorry for the speeling mistakes
Old 10-17-2004, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Whew... that's a lot of questions! I just graduated college in May, so let's see if I can help...

1) The tC will go faster than 90. I "accidentally" hit 80 in 3rd gear the other day, and I've never had problems passing people on the highway. The ride is also qute smooth at high speeds.

2) No idea about the "dropped" cars. However, I do have the scion bodykit on my tC. I was lucky enough to see a tC's with and without the kit at my dealer, and it makes a difference. You can see my car with the kit, here. Sorry, but I don't have a picture of the back of the car up yet... :?

3) I stepped up from a '92 toyota previa minivan to the tC last month. The sound quality is absolutely fantastic compared to what I'm used to. The SSP system is a nice touch too. I also got the scion sub, which is pretty nice, and doesn't take up a whole lot of room in the trunk. Now you might not want to trust my opinion because of my vehicle history, but the sound works for me.

4) No. The scion system gives you light flashing, and that's it. I would save the $500 and spend it on an aftermarket system.

5) Gives you a stiffer ride? Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Hopefully someone else will help out here.

6) Just don't get the TRD exhaust. Although I did, and I really like the sound it puts out. Without it, the car shouldn't be any louder than a Camry.

7) Are you sure you don't want to learn? I had no idea how to drive manual when I first got my 5-speed, but I am glad i learned. It's a lot more fun to drive. Of course, if you have a crappy traffic-filled drive every day, I wouldn't suggest it. Up to you though. I'm pretty sure the s/c would work on an automatic, but don't quote me on that.

Dunno. Are the prices on the scion website?

9) No idea.

10) The stock head unit takes up both slots in the dash. You'd have to get an aftermarket HU to have the room for that. I haven't done much more on my entertainment system other than hooking my iPod up via the AUX-POD system. That installation was super-easy though. Scion actually made it easy to get the car apart. Go figure...

With my options (TRD exhaust, ground effrects kit, pedals, shifter, subwoofer), after tax and tags, the price tag was a little over 21K. The body kit was a grand though, so if you drop that, you should be able to get out under 20K. Let us know how the mods go when and if you finally get the car. ( I hear the waiting period around here is up around 8 or 10 months now) :D
Old 10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks...Anyone else? How many MPH does the Scion max out at?
Old 10-19-2004, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) The tC is governer limited at 127mph (a computer chip cuts off fuel at that speed to prevent you from going any faster). If you disable the governer you could probably get to 150-160mph. I have often found myself cruiseing at 90mph without noticing, you will have not problem with the fast lane, or the Autobahn for that matter.

2) You can get a body kit or TRD springs from the dealer that will drop the car about 1.5". Alot more options are available from the aftermarket community too.

3) The stock sound system in the tC is a 160watt, 6 speaker, Pioneer MP3/ CD player. I have been very impressed.

4) You will need to go aftermarket for a good alarm.

5) I dont know exactly what it does, but I dont think it is anything that special.

6)The standard muffler on the tC is very quiet, almost Lexus like.

7)5-speed is the only way to drive IMO, but the S/C should be available on the auto also.

The stock wheels are 17in and very nice IMO, 18-19 in wheels will run you $500-$2k probably, but I have not shopped them.

9)I like the cloth, but katzkin does leather for some of the Scion dealers I belive, and yes, side airbags and leather may not work together.

10) You probably have the right idea. 7in screen/ DVD in the dash and put the PS2 in glove box is you best bet. You will need profesional help to do all that though.

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help! Fresh out of college..Buying a Scion TC..Newbie-is

1. I've taken my car at 110mph and it handles just fine.

2. The dealership drops. There is only one body kit. If you have a friend who can help, buy aftermarket and install yourself. You'll save some bucks. If not, just buy from the dealer and work into the financing.

3. The music is great in the tC IMO.

4. Word is tC alarm sucks. Go with aftermarket at best buy or circuit city with viper or something.

5. Sway bar is not really "performance." More of suspension. A sway bar is bang for the buck IMO. You could also add springs and shocks for added suspension. But for on a budget, start with the $200 sway, and move up to the $800 shocks and struts.

6. Car is quiet if you don't do anything do it. Besides that, it'll sound like whatever you put on it.

7. That's personal preference. If you live on flat land and not in traffic much, 5 speed is blast to learn and drive. If hilly and lots of traffic, or want feel of luxury, definitly go for auto.

8. 9. 10. no opinion
Old 10-19-2004, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't believe no one used the magic word "Search". LOL
Old 10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member

I thank all of you for you help! Now all I have to do is test drive one of these badboys!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

20k is what you're looking to spend?

My auto with side bags and tint was about 19k out the door(dont forget taxes and doc fee, not to mention installation of any dealer options). Find out the cost of new springs from the dealer (you dont have to get the struts), and it its under $400, do it. Else, think about buying the springs from mcgeorge and having someone you know install them. Single best mod I've seen for the tC. A sway bar will make your suspension rock solid, almost eliminating body roll in curves. Not bad for a ~$100.

If you must have an alarm, dont get scion security, but with the engine immobilizer, I didnt feel any need for an alarm. And there are lots of other tc sites with slightly different flavor than scionlife. clubsciontc.com and yoursciontc.com are two such places.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

^Thanks for the advice. Yes I was thinking 20k out the door then add ons another 2-3K. I can't seem to find any pictures of the TC with a body kit and one without. Thanks!