Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Help me decide - Used 2003 350z or brand new Scion TC

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member

Default Help me decide - Used 2003 350z or brand new Scion TC

I've been wanting the Scion TC for a long time and was about to put a deposit down. Well, that is until I found a deal on a used 350z for cheap. Please help me decided. Here are the details.

350Z
model: Touring (leather seats)
color: white
hp: 287
miles: 23,000
options: leather seats and navigation system
price: $22,500

vs.

Scion TC
color: white
hp 160hp
miles: 0
options: none (I prefer a base TC)
price: about $17,300 which include handling charges.

So for $5000 more, I get leather, navigation, faster car and nicer interior. However, the 350z is a used car vs brand new car. I love the TC and how it looks outside. Call me crazy, but I prefer the looks of the TC more than the 350z.

About me: I dont mind two seaters as my girlfriend has a sedan (TSX) so if I ever need more room, I can borrow her car. I like warrantee and both has it but the nissan 350z will run out sooner than the TC since its used. Money is a big factor but I feel if I were to get the TC within a couple of years, I'll probaby spend $2-3k modifiying it for speed/looks so really the price is really close to each other.

What should I do... Thanks for your help. This is my first post.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

I, personally, would opt for the 350z if I could afford the car, insurance, and modification prices. I don't know the condition of the 350z, so I don't know for sure. So, if you can afford it, do it! If not, get the tC.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dear Whitescion,

There is honestly no right answer on what you should do. For every ten opinions to get the tC there will be 5 to get the 350z. This is a Scion Forum witch means most will favor Scion. What you need to do is sit down and really think what you would want. You’re the one going to be stuck in this car for some years not us. So make the choice that you think is best.

~ Peace , Kaeon
Old 10-12-2004, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should probably check into the other costs of owning a vehicle and maybe that will help you with your decision. Annual cost for gas, maintenance fees, and insurance are a few things to look at. Also, as for borrowing the sedan, that option may not always be available and depending on where you are at in your life (or relationship), the two seater may not be the best idea. I was looking into the 350Z until I found out I was going to be a father so I waited and ended up getting a tC. I'm glad I did. Hope this helps and good luck no matter what you choose.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming both are Manual, so the 350Z has a 6-speed, which is nice. However, you can get a brand new 350z for about $25,000. It won't be the touring eddition, no leather seats, navigation, and whatnot, but it's the same exact engine, which is a sweet ___ engine! Personally, I like the looks of the Infinity G35 coupe better, but that's another $10K or so, so I do like the styling of the tC better. The 350z is a true sports car, while the tC is not.

However, my biggest gripe about the Z is that it's a Nissan. My buddy's Nissan has been recalled 3 times for manufacturers defects, and it's an '03! Nissan's just don't stand up to Toyota build quallity, so that "...warantee runs out sooner" is a big deal.

Plus, I know if I had a 350z, how I would drive it and I don't think anyone would want to buy it used off me!

I was actually debating between the tC and a used 2002 VW GTI 1.8T loaded for $16K. The GTI was a little more luxurious, and a little more refined, but I decided against it because the warantee was going out soon, The power was not much more than the tC, and because the tC would be a new car, not used. I've never bought a new car because of crazy depreciation, but the tC I think is worth it.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

its a simple decision really. do you want a fast, powerful rwd 2 seater vehicle which will be more fun to drive?

or do you want a new fwd coupe that is sporty and is attractive for the price, and also more economical in terms of mileage, wear, and longevity.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just a note, borrowing rates are usually different for used cars as opposed to new. Could add another couple thousand to the Z350 over the life of the loan. Should check out insurance rates as well, tC is just rated as a 2-door hatchback. Make sure you have the actual cost before you make your decision.

dante
Old 10-12-2004, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search for all the problems with the TC. That should make your decision easy. Wait a year or two for Toyota to fix all the TC issues and make a quality car if you want a TC.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Personally, I would opt for the 350 if I had the extra $5k to spend. The only thing is you have to remember that it's still $5k, and that it could cover insurance for the next couple years and some mods if you wanted on the tC. It really depends on what you want. No matter which way you look at it, the tC is still an economy car, and the Z obviously leans more towards performance.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DuMa
its a simple decision really. do you want a fast, powerful rwd 2 seater vehicle which will be more fun to drive?

or do you want a new fwd coupe that is sporty and is attractive for the price, and also more economical in terms of mileage, wear, and longevity.
Well, no, it's not. It's used, so it's not a simple comparison between two models of cars. As much as I'd like a 350z, I'd hate the fact that it was used, and as someone else mentioned, I'd know how I'd use it in that short time. It's really a gamble imo.

Like Kaeon said, it's up to you; just make sure you think about everything involved.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If you really have to ask, then you can not afford the 350z.
Look up gas prices, does it use 91 octane or 87? Miles per gallon?
Insurance for your age.
Can you afford the maintenance in 3-4 years?
Can you afford major maintenance? New tires are about 300.
Will you be happy with it in 3 years?

Add those up and always look at a car as an investment.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought a TC because I was tired of having a used car. Tired of tracking down issues, rattles, road noise. What I got was a "new" car that is worse in every category than every used car I've owned.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since they are both very good choices it would come down to your preference if you've already did your homework.

Homework: Can you afford...
Cost of maintenance
Gas
Insurance
Interest Rate if you're doing payments

I would've gotten the Z if the Carfax check is clean and the car is in good condition. $22,000 for a Touring Z is very good. However, you have to examine used sports cars carefully because some owners will abuse it and then sell it.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
Search for all the problems with the TC. That should make your decision easy. Wait a year or two for Toyota to fix all the TC issues and make a quality car if you want a TC.
You've obviously never owned a Nissan. Go to a 350Z forum and look up problems and you will find much more then a rattling moonroof. Nissan's have major engine problems. How do you think they can afford to sell a car witha V6 pushing 287hp for around $25,000?...cheap parts!

I'm really sorry that you've had so many problems with your tC. But it is under warantee. I dont' know what the dealers are like there, but the guys at Toyota here are freindly and informative, while the guys at Nissan are complete JERKS!

There's always the chance that you'll get a bad car. But I think the chances of getting a bad new tC is much slimmer then the chances of getting a bad USED Nissan.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Meaty
Originally Posted by Nick@AGP
You've obviously never owned a Nissan. Go to a 350Z forum and look up problems and you will find much more then a rattling moonroof. Nissan's have major engine problems. How do you think they can afford to sell a car witha V6 pushing 287hp for around $25,000?...cheap parts!

I'm really sorry that you've had so many problems with your tC. But it is under warantee. I dont' know what the dealers are like there, but the guys at Toyota here are freindly and informative, while the guys at Nissan are complete JERKS!

There's always the chance that you'll get a bad car. But I think the chances of getting a bad new tC is much slimmer then the chances of getting a bad USED Nissan.
i am sorry to tell you this but nissan's VQ engine is a pretty good engine having won many awards since it's birth. the reason why people take the 350z back to fix is they push the car way too hard thinking it won't ever break. even the best bulletproof engine can only take so much abuse.

"You've obviously never owned a Nissan. ..." i m guessing you never owned a nissan either if you have to refer to 350Z forum. on every car forums online you look online, you will see problems for that specific car. i have seen many post here in Tc about moonroof problems, does every Tc have the same problem? it only represent a percentage.
it's usually the one with problems that post and the one with enjoy the car won't start a post and praising about the mooroof, engine, looks etc. , that's why it always looks like it have a big problem.
starting rivalry is fun and all, but just calling nissan suck and their forum members are jerks with nothing to back it up makes you no better than them.
PS. not that i want to defend nissan, but my dad has a 1993 nissan infiniti J30 with 170,000 miles on it. the engine is still going strong although the auto tranny is about to crap out. nevertheless, if you take good care of the car and not abuse it, it can definitely run another 100,000 miles.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by godda9u
"You've obviously never owned a Nissan. ..." i m guessing you never owned a nissan either if you have to refer to 350Z forum. on every car forums online you look online, you will see problems for that specific car. i have seen many post here in Tc about moonroof problems, does every Tc have the same problem? it only represent a percentage.
True dat. About one car in 10,000 will be the car from hell for whatever reason, then that person will post 10,000 times about how the whole model sux. (Nick's a good example - post into a thread once, get ignored, so post again.)

500 miles for me so far - not a peep out of my tC. No cosmetic problems either. Quietest car I've been in for under $25k.

If I had the extra money I'd consider a 350Z for sure, but probably would get a RX-8 instead.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 350z end of discussion :twisted:
Old 10-12-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

I would lean towards the 350. . . but in terms of financial stuff it depends on you.

Short term, the tC will be a bigger loss, as you take that intial depreciation hit.
In the long run, you may see some that come back, as you will more than likely see a lower "cost of ownership" for the tC, for fuel, insurance, maintainence, etc. . .

I had the chance to opt between a Lexus IS300 and the xA, and chose the xA due to lower cost of ownership (means I don't have to worry about gas and short term finances). I hated owning my LS400 and being severely limited to where I can drive, as to being able to go anywhere (absolute freedom) in the xA. It's a small thing, but worth considering.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kenshi
the 350z end of discussion :twisted:
+1. This is a no brainer, your getting a better car in pretty much every area.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

godda9u:
I don't think you understood my post. I was refering to the 350z forum to point out the same fact you did, there will be people who complain about it as well. I was responding to Nick@AGP who said he had nothing but problems with his tC. I said he may have gotten a bad one, and that the likelyhood of getting a bad USED 350z is more likely then getting a bad NEW tC. NOT that the 350Z is crap. It's AWESOME! But I think in general, Nissans have more problems then Toyotas. You can also say that V6s have more problems then I4s, and that a car pushing over 300HP will have more problems then a car pushing less then 200HP. It all depends on how you treat it.

So my point is, you don't know how this USED 350Z was treated for the past 2 years.

Quick Reply: Help me decide - Used 2003 350z or brand new Scion TC