Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

HHO Generator! Does this Work? Anyone put one their tC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default HHO Generator! Does this Work? Anyone put one their tC?

I'm thinkin bout getting one and installing it in my car outta curiosity.

Has anyone done this? Does it work? Any tips on how to install one?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-15-2020 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

what is HHO generator?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default hho

go on u-tube and type in hho generator. A bunch of videos will pop up! It's where you can convert water into a form of gas. You will still have to use regular gas of course...but it's supposed to improve your gas mileage by up to 40%! With the gas prices the way they are...I'd like to at least try something!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you retarded?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawgs74
Are you retarded?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

DDOOOOO ITTTTT!
lulz.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude.. don't listen to these fools. They have no idea what they're talking about and always afraid to do something new. I think your HHO Generator idea is awesome. Should give you a boost in performance if you combine it with the DEI Direct Exhaust Injection system too.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I almost forgot about that clown with the "DEI"
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

How did this turn out? I am looking into HHO as well, anyone else experimenting?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mnhim
How did this turn out? I am looking into HHO as well, anyone else experimenting?
Old 01-31-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

Flux Capacitor>HHO Generator
Old 01-31-2009, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: hho

Originally Posted by mbessler
It's where you can convert water into a form of gas. !
What kinda form of gas? Dont put foreign objects/properties into your car. She can get a tummy ache.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Being that water is made from H2O I would guess that the gas is Hydrogen and Oxygen. It's not likely to become Helium. Although, Helium would make the car lighter and a lighter car will be more efficient on gas since it will take less effort to get it moving. Be careful though, if it gets too light traction may become and issue.

Seriously though. I don't knock anyone for wanting to make more efficient cars or find new ways to do things. Some of the things I see look like "snake oil" to me.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK.. ONCE AND FOR ALL.. HHO DOES NOT WORK. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE ENERGY. YOU CANNOT BEND THE LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS. YOU CANNOT MAKE ENERGY OUT OF NOTHING.

THE AMOUNT OF ENERGY USED TO SEPARATE THE HYDROGEN FROM THE WATER TO CREATE HHO CAN NEVER BE FULLY CONVERTED TO BE USED TO POWER YOUR CAR.

YOU ARE PUTTING IN MORE POWER THEN YOU ARE GETTING OUT.

DONE.

FINISHED.

MOVE ALONG.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^
I didn't catch that.
One more time, please?
Old 01-31-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im doing some research with my professor on this topic.

actually you can use hydrogen on your car, but not by itself. you actually run on hydrogen and gas at the same time..

and FYI the HHO kit is very easy to make. All it is is just some metal plates submerged in a solution of water and baking soda. A current is run through the metal plates and what this does is separates two Hydrogens and one Oxygen atom for every molecule of water. (Basically its the same science project you prolly seen in high school called Hydrolysis).

SO, what the kit does is it uses your car battery to power the electrodes in the solution and the hydrogen is used by connecting it to your intake (which sucks in air anyways) and that shoots through the engine to more efficiently burn gas since the current combustible engine isnt very efficient at that (which is why we have 2 catalytic converters). Hydrogen can increase the gas burning efficiency by 40% and you can do the math on how much more mileage we will be able to get from that.

Now people will say that you cant make energy from nothing. HYDROGEN does have the energy to power the combustible engine (in fact, go and research "Iceland"). They are the only country that is currently run on hydrogen power. HYDROGEN is the new type of energy that every country will be aiming to run on because its a renewable energy and it is not polluting the environment (such as those greenhouse gases: methane, carbon dioxide, etc that cause global warming ---watch Inconvenient Truth).

And you will probably say, "well, it takes more input energy to break bonds (those present in water) compared to the energy produced when broken". So yes you have to put in energy (your car battery, which is recharged by the alternator) to get hydrogen. But using more of your car battery doesnt reduce mileage. So, in conclusion, this hydrogen produced will be a helpful addition to your gasoline powered combustible engine.

i probably pwned some of you but i still love you guys
Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Power in = power out. Energy used by your battery must be supplied by your alternator which must be supplied by your engine to turn the alternator, which requires more work to turn when you increase electrical load.

I have read more than one attempt at this (of course, most have seen the most common one being the mythbusters episode) and the results are minimal at best.. The amount of gas produced is VERY small from the device you are able to feasibly make.

Currently the best way for separating hydrogen from water that I know of is to use high frequency radio waves in a salt water solution. However, even then they are battling being able to produce more energy than required to produce the hydrogen.

This is currently one of the largest hurdles to overcome for running vehicles on hydrogen; being able to produce more energy equivalent of hydrogen than is input into the process.

You need to include all the facts before just saying Iceland is run completely on hydrogen (it is not). First, their transportation is moving closer and closer to being all hydrogen. But lets look at why. First, they have an abnormal abundance of hydro and geothermal sources to produce electricity (which is what they use to produce most of their electrical power). This is obviously clean, and for the most part "free". This electricity in its clean abundance can be used to produce hydrogen from water and use that hydrogen to fuel vehicles. A very large part of the rest of the world cannot rely on hydro electric or geothermal sources for power, so they burn coal (a fossil fuel for those that dont know). This means to produce hydrogen from water, they have to burn MORE fossil fuel. This is the issue that has prevented us from going this route already. They are getting closer , but not there yet for the largest part of the worlds population.

Now... lets look at the other part of Icelands advantage. They have this enormous amount of "free" energy and a population of less than most decent sized cities in the US. So obviously, if we had natural geysers and earth powered hydro sources around every corner in all of our major cities, we could afford the extra power production to create an abundance of hydrogen for our vehicles.

So Iceland is an extreme example of a good situation in this area.

You cant just look at one example and assume that the whole world can work the same way any more than you can compare apples to oranges.

So you didnt own anyone really, you provided a very simplified view without all of the variables, which made it look a bit easier than it is in reality.

Dont get me wrong, I think hydrogen is the way to go (although a fuel cell is a much better use of it than buring in in an engine... but using it for cobustion is a first step that can use existing technology), and because of this I have studied up enough on it to know why we cant just run out and convert the world to hydrogen power.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with your statements and that yes, iceland is run on an abundance of geothermal energy, but I just threw that out there because someone said "it is not possible to run on hydrogen power".

Also, I agree that there is a problem about producing hydrogen because you have to burn more fossil fuels. There isn't any real solution to that. There is a system going on right now, where algae is being used to use the pollution(C02) from these burning fossil fuels as well as sunlight for photosynthesis for energy to make health food products (you probably heard of mean green machine and other health drinks) etc. But, as you said, it doesnt get rid of the problem of increasing pollution leading to global warming and bad health. It just uses the energy from these polluting gases before they enter the atmosphere.

Hydrogen in general is a good way to go. I guess I seemed to have emphasised too much on using hydrogen from hydrolysis, that I forgot to mention that a hydrogen fuel cell is better (Honda FCX clarity).

I seemed to have been served! But then again, your older than me and know more. I'm just in my senior year of college. Seems like your into this stuff. If you havent already read it, theres a book called "Plan B 3.0" by Lester Brown I believe. He gives us facts to the problems in the world. Basically, he's saying that if we dont find other alternatives and change our inefficient ways, the world will end.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 808tC
i agree with your statements and that yes, iceland is run on an abundance of geothermal energy, but I just threw that out there because someone said "it is not possible to run on hydrogen power".

Also, I agree that there is a problem about producing hydrogen because you have to burn more fossil fuels. There isn't any real solution to that. There is a system going on right now, where algae is being used to use the pollution(C02) from these burning fossil fuels as well as sunlight for photosynthesis for energy to make health food products (you probably heard of mean green machine and other health drinks) etc. But, as you said, it doesnt get rid of the problem of increasing pollution leading to global warming and bad health. It just uses the energy from these polluting gases before they enter the atmosphere.

Hydrogen in general is a good way to go. I guess I seemed to have emphasised too much on using hydrogen from hydrolysis, that I forgot to mention that a hydrogen fuel cell is better (Honda FCX clarity).

I seemed to have been served! But then again, your older than me and know more. I'm just in my senior year of college. Seems like your into this stuff. If you havent already read it, theres a book called "Plan B 3.0" by Lester Brown I believe. He gives us facts to the problems in the world. Basically, he's saying that if we dont find other alternatives and change our inefficient ways, the world will end.
Look.. HHO kits that the original poster wanted info about.. and the Honda FCX Clarity.. ARE WAYYYY OPPOSITE of each other. One is a cheap scam that preys on people trying to save some money whenever the price of gas goes up, and the other is a whole new engine desgined to run off clean hydrogen pumped into your car under extreme pressure. If you think one has anything to do with the other.. then you're in for a surprise.

ONE MORE TIME FOR PEOPLE WHO STILL DON'T GET IT. HHO DOES NOT WORK.

The amount of power required during electrolysis to break down the water in these HHO kits, outweighs the energy you get back in the form of Hydrogen.

Why do you think we don't have Hydrogen factories soaking up ocean water and turning that into Hydrogen and Oxygen? because the energy input is wayyy too much then the output. Until we can replicate what leaves and trees do.. cheap clean Hydrogen is still a dream.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Not served.. I just added more information to the problem.. or in this case more problems to be problem

I dont spend as much time as I would like studying these things since I got out of college and started the career, but may check out that book.

I am a big fan of the internal combustion engine, and would love to keep it around in a hydrogen form in the future. But would also like to see the fuel cell proceed as well, especially for domestic/commercial power and for vehicles as well. What irks me is that society would rather feel like they are doing something right away, thus chasing hybrids (a mediocre solution at best) and ethanol (more detrimental than good) rather than look further forward and focus all that effort and funding in making fuel cell vehicles a reality. I have felt that way since I did a small paper on fuel cells back in college... and here we still are

Quick Reply: HHO Generator! Does this Work? Anyone put one their tC?