5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

haha i just put hids in my girls lifted montero sport
Old 12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've actually had to raise my lights to see better, didn't realize that the stock h4s were aimed soooo low. i usually will tweek them up day by day until someone flashes me, then i know that i have hit just above the sweet spot. that truck just did not have it aimed correctly. we all have to go through a couple days, sometimes weeks before we get them just where we want them and it does not adversly effect others around us, that is when the cops will start bothering you.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My old neighbors had a Tahoe with HID's in it. Two times in a row someone smashed the headlights in the middle of the night. I wanted to feel sorry for him, but....
Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i aimed my HIDs down alot and ive never got flashed. however, any van, SUV, truck, anything high blinds the F out of me and im only on Htechs. lol

i get comments for hella bright lights, but not for blinding people. lol
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yea dude seriously its not HIDs its a truck or SUV they always seem like they have there highs on when they are behind you. cars are directly int there light path. And lowered is the same deal. HIDs can be brighter but its the damn SUVs and Trucks that shouldnt have them because of that reason.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yes usually 10000k and above are the blinding ones. The 4000k-8000k shouldn't be that bad. But the truck is higher than a normal passenger vehicle so it might have caught the light at a higher angle thus causing it to seem more blinding.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The HID argument is old. In LA, every single mercedes, bmw, land rover, range rover, lexus, audi, acura, lambo, ferrari, lotus, porsche... has HIDs in them. I get blinded by them all the time. So quit _____in and just drive. It sucks yea, but hey, having HIDs in my car helps me see the ____ty LA roads better at night.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
The HID argument is old. In LA, every single mercedes, bmw, land rover, range rover, lexus, audi, acura, lambo, ferrari, lotus, porsche... has HIDs in them. I get blinded by them all the time. So quit _____in and just drive. It sucks yea, but hey, having HIDs in my car helps me see the ____ty LA roads better at night.

Same here in Dallas!! only the roads are "slightly" better.

I want my HIDS... make mine white please..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

All cars' and trucks' light beams are required by law to be set at a certain angle as to allow the driver to have a certain amount beam a certain distance in front of his/her vehicle. This includes trucks and SUV's and it is why these only blind you (if stock angles and stock riding height) when they get real close to you. When you install HID's into housing not specifically set up for such lighting you usually have to lower the angle for the beam is now more powerful near the top of the light cone.

This person who blinded you probably slammed his truck and realized his lights were pointed low and aimed them higher, too high. Many idiots purposefully aim HID's higher because they think it's great to blind people and "show off” their HID's. As if people can't already tell you have them. Secret: People just want to drive safely without some idiot getting off on rendering you blind. It is for this reason that I now carry a 1,000,000 candle light spot light in my car and point it at anyone such person who blinds me.

Also, HID's are brighter near 5K, the higher kelvin, you go into the more purple but less actual luminosity. Higher K, lower brightness. It might not seem this way because (at least in my experience) it is usually those with the purple lights who point their lights way too high..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

even trucks with stock headlights will blind you in a car. their headlights are set on average 1 1/2 - 2 feet higher than cars. they will blind you either way... use your mirror dimmer.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

sigh....

See any difference?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^that is a really bad cut off
Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man i love flashing little doofuses with HIDs in their stock housings... mainly cause my bi-xenon blinds them ten times more hahah.

I think the reason why a lot of people dont get flashed with HIDs is becuase the other driver cant find the lever for the lights to flash em haha.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

^ you've got a good point

You're bi-xenon setup = awesomeness
Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

heh thanks...
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Oznium_com
...But the truck is higher than a normal passenger vehicle so it might have caught the light at a higher angle thus causing it to seem more blinding.
yeah, happens all the time.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So is the picture with the good cutoff from a tC? If so I want to know what headlights they are? I hope they're not retro's. I want to find projectors with good cutoffs, but I dont want to do retro's, mostly cause I don't know how and am hesitant about it.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Default Re: HID in halogen housing FTL.

Originally Posted by Haro287
Thought I'd share this rant, because tonight was the first time I have ever encountered a vehicle driving with an HID kit in their stock headlights that weren't made for it.

I saw this insanely bright blue light coming towards me tonight from about 200 yards away and was blinded really bad by it. It was pure blue, so I am guessing it was an 8000K kit. Anyway, the guy turned behind me and I looked into my rear view mirror and saw nothing but a bright @ss blue light with horrible cut off. It was the worst thing I have ever seen.

Turns out it was a slammed GMC Sierra with big chrome wheels and loud @ss mexican music, because it sped up and passed me. I let the guy pass because I couldn't take the flippin' light shining through my rear window so damn bright.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that HID kits do blind other drivers and make you annoying as hell when you drive at night. I'm hoping an HID kit in the '08 projectors won't be as bad, but for those with the 05-07 headlights, please get a retrofit or something because you are not doing anyone a favor at all when you drive at night.

Nice rant.. I feel your pain.. I get blinded by GM SUV and Trucks all the time.. I really feel your pain on that one.. and i Have to give you props on being about to tell the driver had Mexican music on while you where so worried about being blinded. and also seeing they where slammed with big chrome wheels... maybe next time if you keep your eyes on the road in front of you, you might not be blinded by the glare. just a thought .

P.S. did you know the band of the loud ___ Mexican music coming from the vehicles ?
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No use in trying to talk sense to the cheap crowd...to be honest most people just don't have the money to do it right (retrofit) so they end up doing it cheap w/ massive glare.. I call'em either play right or go home

Old 12-16-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to the original post, 8k isn't a deep *** blue like you said. I had them in my corolla at one point (stock housing) and it was never deep. It was a light color blue. Other than that no glares at all. It depends on how you aim your headlight.

Quick Reply: HID in halogen housing FTL.