Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

HKS Hi-Power Exhaust question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 AM

Default HKS Hi-Power Exhaust question.

So I've had my HKS Hi-Power Exhaust on my 2008 tC for about two years now and while I might add it's a great exhaust, I think I am getting tired of the sound? I mean, I always wanted something loud because I thought the car stock was to quiet but now all of a sudden, I am thinking I want to put my stock exhaust back on so it's quiet again. My question is, if I do this, what are the positives about this?

With the HKS exhaust, obviously it sounds louder while accelerating so it sounds really loud even though I'm only going like 30mph which is ehh cause sometimes I feel like a douche bag when I'm passing someone and my car is loud as ____, haha.

With me taking this off, will I notice any boost of speed or anything? Basically, I am asking if the car seems faster without a exhaust like this. I totally forget what it feels like to drive/hear the car without this on. Will I get better gas milage? Will my acceleration be slightly faster?

Let me know if I am making a big mistake and should just suck it up and keep it on. It is not bothering me that much but the more and more I think about it, I would like to hear it again without it. Is the HKS exhaust one the most popular axelback exhausts for the scion tC?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:01 AM
SL Member

id take it off, typically hks is always pretty loud and iirc you lose low end torque with an exhaust on a NA motor..

but like i said, id take it off, just throw on a exhaust tip..i dnt really like my cars loud anyways but thats just my opnion..
Old 07-06-2010, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by G2Low
id take it off, typically hks is always pretty loud and iirc you lose low end torque with an exhaust on a NA motor..

but like i said, id take it off, just throw on a exhaust tip..i dnt really like my cars loud anyways but thats just my opnion..
Thanks I appreciate your opinion. That's what I am wondering here. Will i notice a difference in acceleration without it you think? Mann, I am anxious to hear it quiet but I don't wanna make the mistake of taking it off because once I jack my car up and take it off, with how hot it is outside, I probably won't be putting it back on haha.

And I spent a decent amount of money on this thing too which is another reason why I am wondering If I should just keep it on for the hell of it. If I am gonna notice a difference in acceleration, I think I would LOVE that.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I had it and loved it till the day I traded my car.

Most people don't appreciate the angle in which it sticks out that's why I wouldn't name it "most famous" exhaust out there, but certainly one of the better ones (quality wise).

You won't notice any type of difference on a stock tC, so if you're looking for a quitter and cleaner "looking" exhaust go after a TRD.

You'll get a nice rumble with it and not the obnoxiousness of the HKS.

ps Trust me if you put on the stock on and ride with it, you'll trade your car the next week. It's wayyyyy too boring!

good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 AM
SL Member

dont think your keeping it on because of money, you can always sell it on the forums but maybe try a different exhaust...GL
Old 07-06-2010, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

or you can just trade/buy for a trd exhaust.. it will be significantly quieter, but will still give some rumble when needed.

if you go back to stock your gonna be like woah this is awesome, but then after a while your gonna miss hearing something coming from your car lol.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you running an aftermarket midpipe also? I remember when I took off my Agency Power cat-back to go stock I felt the midrange kick was gone. I think an axle back is more for sound than power, having a midpipe will help gain a few HP. I've been thinking of changing my axle-back to the TRD that was on the car, but my friends identify my car with the Agency Power. I've been wanting to go with a not so "look at me" exhaust for a moment, but there's other things I want to take care of.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hes mine thing,i have the megan drift spec wich is very loud,louder then hks only cause of the midpipe section,had it almost 2 yrs,and still love it till this day,how ever i put back the stock axle back portion only to get the feel of the stock exhaust again and to make the ride quieter cause i lost my silencer for the exhaust and wanted that oen look any how,so after putting the stock on have it on for a like a day,i honestly felt power loss almost like the car didnt want to go and the car was quiet not like stock quiet cause stil have my midpipe on but still,next day put the drift spec back on,and i wouldnt go back to stock,unless its trd other wise..
Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 PM

Yeah I dont wanna go back to stock and then a few days later decide I want it back on, haha.

The only way I would like stock back on is if I noticed a better acceleration and it was REALLY quiet. Sad I don't even remember how the car sounds stock anymore. Is it super quiet?

EDIT: Do you guys all consider the HKS axelback exhaust a ricer? I have a few people around here making jokes saying my car is a ricer now because of it. True?
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by T0Mlol
Yeah I dont wanna go back to stock and then a few days later decide I want it back on, haha.

The only way I would like stock back on is if I noticed a better acceleration and it was REALLY quiet. Sad I don't even remember how the car sounds stock anymore. Is it super quiet?

EDIT: Do you guys all consider the HKS axelback exhaust a ricer? I have a few people around here making jokes saying my car is a ricer now because of it. True?
stock exhaust is very very quiet,if you put stock back on you wont gain better acceleration,as its restrictive,i personally think HKS exhaust is a little big for our cars to be honest even though the quality is very good and sounds good also,i can go on and on the reasons why i dont like it but thats for another thread...but if you like it then keep it,dont go by what others think or say cause if you did you wouldnt get far in life nor be happy..thats the way i see it,people say i have a fart can on my tc and others live the way it looks and sound,me too..
Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been running the HKS on my car for nearly a year. I love the look and sound. I also really like that it's quiet when cruising and gets loud when you jump on the motor. Honestly, I wish mine was a little louder at idle, just to get people looking for where the sound is coming from.

As far as having freaking HUGE outlet, I like it. Not because it is huge, but because it makes the HKS different. Of the tCs in my area there are only myself and one other that aren't running either stock or TRD exhaust.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my HKS for about 2 years with a tsudo midpipe and I've loved it since day one. If your car is done right the size wont attract a whole lot attention... it is big though. lol Personally I would'nt take it off cause it is a popular exhaust and it sounds sooo good but its not up to us what you do to your ride.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Magnaflow makes a great kit that's a tad louder than OEM, much better flowing and looks soooo nice. Just another option because it's definitely quieter than the TRD. The tip on the Magnaflow is well suited for the car as well. I use it on my turbo setup and it sounds great. N/A, it was just a nice "tone". Now with no cats it's got a little gurgle to it and a bit louder but still waaay quieter than a stock tc with a TRD.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HKS sounds very nice, but wish they can be quieter inside of the car...=\

Last edited by allenxtc; 07-09-2010 at 05:59 AM.