Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How Do You Guys Negotiate Discount And/Or Free Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

Originally Posted by ams30gts
my friend works at the dealership and got me free floormats and the siruis radio installed free
damn good friend
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got a free cargo mat. I wasn't trying to get anything for free, I just wanted a bone stock tC. I whined enough about the lip spoiler I didn't want that they threw in the trunk mat.

I actually like the spoiler, now.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm really hoping i get something thrown in free now lol
Old 07-07-2006, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BSP_5c10n
My mom bought an xB and got the iPod stereo, security system, and center armrest for free. You just have to be pushy. If they REALLY want to make the sale, they'll do it. Plus it helps if you have good credit or a hefty downpayment as leverage in the deal. Remember it's your money and no one is forcing you to buy the car at the price they're asking.

The Pure Price seems to apply only to the price of the car as it sits on the lot since they wouldn't go down in price. The accessories added to the car after the fact isn't subject to the Pure Price system. At least at the dealership my mom went to.
Uhh... this story smells fishy. There's NO WAY they would have let her walk with close to 1K in free stuff, unless your mom looks like Heather Locklear and blew the sales manager.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I got free mud guards from Piercey, but that might be because An Tuan noticed that the car I drove there was from them. He might've thought "oh, hey, returning customer... sure, why not let her have it."
Old 07-07-2006, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trust me you're not going to get them to budge on the price for a couple reasons.

1) The set price is well known and the car is in high demand. They don't have to discount it to sell it fast.

2) They're only making approx 10% over factory invoice price on the car which is very low for new car sales. Most new cars go for 20% or more over invoice.

Accessories you have a better chance at, as they make a good deal of money on the sales and installation of the part. Seriously, they charge you 10 dollars to screw on a shift ****! I'd bet you'd have good luck on some of the cheaper accessories like ***** and lighting. Helps if you tell them another dealership said they'd throw in something cheap like the sport pedals...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TalkingHead
My mom bought an xB and got the iPod stereo, security system, and center armrest for free. You just have to be pushy. If they REALLY want to make the sale, they'll do it. Plus it helps if you have good credit or a hefty downpayment as leverage in the deal. Remember it's your money and no one is forcing you to buy the car at the price they're asking.

The Pure Price seems to apply only to the price of the car as it sits on the lot since they wouldn't go down in price. The accessories added to the car after the fact isn't subject to the Pure Price system. At least at the dealership my mom went to.
Uhh... this story smells fishy. There's NO WAY they would have let her walk with close to 1K in free stuff, unless your mom looks like Heather Locklear and blew the sales manager.

Well they did so . And that might be how your mom makes deals, but not mine so .

I'm not going to mention the dealer either. I don't want to get them in trouble for giving us a good deal.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bottom Line: All of these stories about getting free stuff put the dealership in danger of losing their franchise. I for one am not going to go explain to my dealer why they are pulling out this $100k showroom and he's going to be losing 25-30 new car deals a month. I aslo am not going to go explain to my wife why I now have to work longer hours and bring home less dough, just so someone can feel better about themselves for getting 100 bucks worth of free crap. I won't even throw in a frickin baseball cap, I seriously would rather lose the deal...it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that's why I didn't mention which dealer she went to.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionofPCFL
Bottom Line: All of these stories about getting free stuff put the dealership in danger of losing their franchise. I for one am not going to go explain to my dealer why they are pulling out this $100k showroom and he's going to be losing 25-30 new car deals a month. I aslo am not going to go explain to my wife why I now have to work longer hours and bring home less dough, just so someone can feel better about themselves for getting 100 bucks worth of free crap. I won't even throw in a frickin baseball cap, I seriously would rather lose the deal...it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
I agree. It's rediculous.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's rediculous how much the dealer is charging for accessories. I refuse to believe that's even close to how much they get them for.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

WOW! There is a ton of misinformation floating around in this thread. If you got free suff from your dealer I would check your paperwork again. I wouldnt be suprised if they said it was free but showed up in the deal somewhere. Car salespeople have a tendency to make numbers dissapear and then conveniently reappear elsewhere. There is a dealership in my area that Ive heard of throwing in free accessories. I hate that. Under no circumstance do I give out free stuff. Sure, I have Scion hats and shirts lying around Im more than happy to dish out but when it comes to the real accessories forget about it. I am absolutely not willing to take that kind of chance. Have I lost deals over it? I gaurantee I have. That doesnt bother me. Some people just dont realize what a killer deal they're getting on the car already and just feel the need to be a hammer. On the flip side Ive also managed to calm down a lot of customers who initially demanded haggling the price and getting accessories for free. Free stuff is a dealer to dealer occurance if certain people are either willing to lie to customers by hiding numbers or willing to lose their Scion franchise all together.

You will not get free accessories from me! But you will get the best Scion sales process around...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's rediculous how much the dealer is charging for accessories. I refuse to believe that's even close to how much they get them for.
Why should you get them at a price anywhere near what the dealer paid for them? The dealer has salaries, rent, and utilities to pay, in addition they expect a return on their investment in the form of profit. Do you seriously think that you are getting a gallon of milk and loaf of bread for anywhere close to what your grocery store pays? or do you think that these other suppliers are selling to you at what they pay for parts?

Profit isn't a dirty word. If you don't want to pay the dealer's price, you are completely free to shop elsewhere. If the dealer is not selling what they think they should, they will re-evaluate their pricing schemes.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A gallon of milk and a loaf of bread is not anywhere near the price of a car. I don't have to finance or lease a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. These are all just strategies you use to make the customer feel they have no control over the price. The customer is the one who contributes to your salaries, rent, and utilities. Without them, you wouldn't be around. If you don't want to haggle with the price and risk losing a sale, then so be it. There are plenty of other dealers around willing to make a deal. We happened to have found one. A Scion is not a ferrari or a mcClaren, there are thousands being made. All my mom did was offer a price she wanted to pay, with the accessories she wanted, and the dealer had to make some concessions to close the deal. If they lose their franchise or whatever, oh well... No one forced them to sell the car.

If I owned a business and someone wanted to offer me a price lower than what I felt was reasonable, I can tell them to ____ off. I would have that right just as much as they would have a right to make me an offer. If on the other hand I felt that I really wanted to make a sale and still make enough profit to sustain my business, I would try to work with them so that both parties come out ahead.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

THANK YOU JOE!!!

as joe said, if u get free parts/accessories, something went wrong. either the dealer bumped the price somewhere and u didnt know it when u signed the dotted line, or the car came from another dealer, and the receiving dealer didnt take into account the accessories, which is almost never happens because there is alot of paperwork telling whats on the car. or the salesmen paid for the part out of pocket, which i doubt since salesmen dont make much off the sale of a scion.

toyota/scion employees do NOT get a discount of the cars
toyota/scion employees DO get a discount on accessories and parts.

false info spreads fast... lets get more knowledge goin on in here...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
THANK YOU JOE!!!
I do what I can when I can. And I cant give discounts on accessories
Old 07-07-2006, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The night i picked up my tc I drove it off the lot and the climate controls/clock and everything in the center console wasn't working. I drove back immediately, but the service dept was closed and the salesman had just gone home. So i talked with the sales mgr and let him know i was ____ed.... now i have free oil changes for life. :-)
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

free oil changes are a grey line for Scion. In your case they were given after the sale which can be validated by saying you were given the free oil changes as a service customer and not a new Scion customer. I can see getting around that one...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

anything service is on the dealer (even warranty work if they can get around it). so a free oil change, sure, but parts / accessories, no.

btw lifetime oil changes is money! just make sure their techs know what they are doin =]
Old 07-07-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PeruzziScion
Car salespeople have a tendency to make numbers dissapear and then conveniently reappear elsewhere.
Isn't that the truth? That's how I ended up getting my free accessory - they were able to push up the trade-in value of my car by a couple of hundred (even though I was getting somewhere above Blue Book.)

I was given three free oil changes as well, and that could be as a service customer as opposed to owning a new Scion.

Peruzzi, got any Scion hats lying around that you want to give away? :D

Quick Reply: How Do You Guys Negotiate Discount And/Or Free Accessories?