Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

how long do you warm up your car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how long do you warm up your car?

when i start the car in the morning, i let it sit until the needle hits 1K. this usually takes about 45 sec to a minunte. then i drive by shifting around 3K til fully warmed up. i also let the car idle for about 10 sec. before shut off.

how do you do it?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Down in here in the windy city, I have my remote starter programmed to warm up for 24 mins.
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on whether I'm late or not.
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Idle for 30-45 sec. and drive off, gently. IIRC, the manual states that the best way to warm up the car is to drive gently instead of letting it idle for an extended period of time.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont let it warm up more than say 30-40 secs, unless its iced over and needs to defrost... Its not really worth letting ur car idle to warm up alot of people will tell you its not even good for your car to do that... soo 30-40 secs is great, just dont rod on it while its still warming up haha and ofcourse u seem to know that..
Old 02-14-2007, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the time it takes me to load my backpack and instrument and other gear into the car and then i drive off gently
Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

either 5 to 10 min in the driveway or the time it takes me to clean off the snow and then i drive gently until i'm out of my neighborhood take it on the brisk but not full throttle trip to 70 mph.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
either 5 to 10 min in the driveway or the time it takes me to clean off the snow and then i drive gently until i'm out of my neighborhood take it on the brisk but not full throttle trip to 70 mph.
I do the same thing.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

1min at the most down here.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionce
SL Member

2-3.5 minutes or a whole ciggarette ( i dont smoke in my car lol) so i freeze till im done! but today i didnt have to warm it up it was 66 degrees here in ga!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i look at temp gage
Its below 'C' for cool when i start the car, i wait until the needle hits 'C'
and by that time, RPM is below 1000
Old 02-14-2007, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wait till RPM is under 1
Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about 10 seconds

But officially, nothing really. all I do (in the morning) is start the car, engage the clutch in neutral, let it sit like that for a few seconds (get stuff in the tranny spinning a bit... unnecessary, I suppose... but I like to feel like I'm doing something I guess. I don't do it all the time).

Then I'll clutch in, run through all the gears gently to give the synchros a little action before moving off. Then, reverse... outta there.

Drive gently, shift early until my needle hits "normal" temperature (as observed by me). No downshifting it it can be helped (what I mean by this is no throttle blipping).

but yea... no need to warm up modern engines... waste of gas, needles emissions, etc. And yea, some would say its bad for your engine as well.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not completely sure about this. I know I heard its bad to idle to warm up. The reasoning I came up with is that its better to drive gently to warm up because, although the engine gets warmed up when you idle, the rest of the drivetrain also needs to warm up. If your engine is warmed up and your drivetrain is still cold that would cause a bit of stress on the car.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by EnderSavesTheDay
I'm not completely sure about this. I know I heard its bad to idle to warm up. The reasoning I came up with is that its better to drive gently to warm up because, although the engine gets warmed up when you idle, the rest of the drivetrain also needs to warm up. If your engine is warmed up and your drivetrain is still cold that would cause a bit of stress on the car.
I have also heard about that. And the car does warm up faster when it's moving. Plus it's a bit of a waste of gas to be idling so long! Although for auto tranny cars, I tend to let the car warm up a minute or so more than manual. For me, I usually start car, put on seat belt, open glove box, wait another 1/2 minute and thats it. And when I drive I try to keep the engine around 2-2.5 max and that includes the freeway.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Those of you guy's saying that you should start the car and then drive off gently ( not running it hard ), is the proper way to warm up a gasoline engine. I know it feels good to let the car warm up first but that is just for the creature comforts that we all have come to expect. ( And for those that say I only live in GA, I've only lived in the south for ten years. My first twenty years were in IL. )

And by the way just to make it understood as to why I made a point of saying a gasoline engine for the warm up issue is that, I drive a diesel truck for work and have to let it warm up for at least 15 minutes based on the outside temp.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive learned so much...

I just let it idle for about 35 seconds. Its pretty warm in Cali during winter. At lowest, 55 degrees out
Old 02-14-2007, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I let my car warm up for however long it takes for the people I carpool with to get to my house. I call them, then wait a few minutes/pack my books and stuff in my backpack, then put my stuff in my car, and then turn on the engine and warm up my car. By then one of the two I carpool with is there, and about a minute or less later, the second is there. Then it's gentle driving for a little bit off to school.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
I have also heard about that. And the car does warm up faster when it's moving. Plus it's a bit of a waste of gas to be idling so long! Although for auto tranny cars, I tend to let the car warm up a minute or so more than manual. For me, I usually start car, put on seat belt, open glove box, wait another 1/2 minute and thats it. And when I drive I try to keep the engine around 2-2.5 max and that includes the freeway.
ive never randomly opened my glove box in the 'warming up process' of my car. lol what are you doing in there? is there something inside the glove box that im missing?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by w00st3r
Originally Posted by CuRiOuSfIsH
ive never randomly opened my glove box in the 'warming up process' of my car. lol what are you doing in there? is there something inside the glove box that im missing?
good question. does this help it in some way?

Quick Reply: how long do you warm up your car?