Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

How would you approach this? (lil long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member

Default How would you approach this? (lil long)

Sup guys... I have a question for you... here is my situation

I have a 2005 Scion tC. The 'incident' occurred July 11th around 4-5pm. The car was parked on my driveway and was not moved at all. We (gf/neighbor) were outside talking by the car and we hear a 'pop'.. look over, and this is what I see. Nothing struck the roof.

Name:  DSCN4287.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  DSCN4288.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  DSCN4288.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  DSCN4290.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  DSCN4292.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  DSCN4294.jpg
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  DSCN4295.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  DSCN4296.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  DSCN4298.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  40.9 KB

Name:  DSCN4299.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  5252_581111555957_33601071_34040034.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  5252_581111560947_33601071_34040035.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  5252_581111565937_33601071_34040036.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  81.5 KB

The best way to imagine/explain this would be:
Imagine standing by your car... talking to friends... just chillin.. then u hear a small pop sound... look over and your whole sunroof is shattered... yeah.. that's about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo1Bcluhk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xok-jhcyinU

So the incident happened Saturday... Up until I had to move the vehicle I didn't drive the vehicle at all. I was hoping to somehow get 'someone' official to come look at the vehicle to prove lack of incident on the glass... boy was that stupid.

Within minutes of this happening I call the insurance company (USAA) and explain to them the situation and that I'm not filing a claim but more just noting of what happened.

Anyway I called the dealership (Checkered Flag Toyota/Scion - Virginia Beach) to see if there is anything they can do. I am told that it's late in the day (true... people wanna go home) and that I have to take care of the issue first thing Monday morning.

From here I decide to take Monday off and call first thing. Breakdown of events:

0730 - Call and explain situation to Connie. From here I'm told that they do not know what to do because they do not have a copy of my extended warranty (paid for the extended warranty they push so hard to sell) and that the company is on the west coast so they'll have to wait till around 11. ok that's fine. I ask about a tow and she says that they would only cover it if the warranty claim is approved. Starting to realize that I'm probably not in a good position I decide to take the car to the dealership myself (primarily so that I'll have a ride after I drop off the car)

0800 - I call insurance company in anticipation of this going sour. My main concern was trying to get someone over to inspect the vehicle who was a 'certified' professional. USAA states that since Scion didn't technically put out a recall on the vehicle, their arms are tied and that most of what I have to work with is going to have to be with the dealership. At this point I feel somewhat 'ok' considering I purchased two vehicles from Checkered.. the Scion tC AND the Tundra I used to tow it to them. I feel that maybe some sort of customer loyalty can be played into this.

1015 - I decide the vehicle is going to have to be brought to the dealership eventually. I may as well go pick up my trailer (not at my house) and tow it to them...

1120 - Arrive with vehicle and unload the vehicle at Checkered Flag Scion for inspection. Well the roof didn't make it. (please consult video)

loading vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVT2GiC9bs

unloading vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbE25PhMISw

I am greeted by Connie who sees the damage and informs me that the roof is not covered under the extended warranty (no surprise really). At this point I decide to escalate the issue. In my opinion had:

1. I been doing something stupid to inadvertently break the glass sure... I'll accept all responsibility
2. Something struck the roof... ok i'll accept that too...

However, considering that neither of those two issues happened... I consider this a manufacturer safety defect. Having consulted google... this issue has been brought up by other people in the past:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...ota_scion.html
^^^^scroll down halfway

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=roof+shatter

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=roof+shatter

Some of the people in those posts said they received TSB's regarding their roofs...
Well at Checkered Flag Toyota I talk to Adam Graham (director) who says that he will talk to the Scion representative and "bat for me" and see what he can do for me. At this point he is aptly ready to leave and tells Connie to make sure I have my information and that he'll get back with me. Funny thing is that he doesn't collect any of my information as far as video footage or pictures (I brought my camera with me)... at this point I can tell it's not going to work anyway in my favor.

1422 - I call Toyota/Scion corporate (866.707.2466) to report the issue (already feeling the shaft... may as well get the lube)... I told the representative the issue and what Adam Graham (dealership) said he would do. Which was talk to the regional representative. The person on the phone said that the dealer has done the right thing and is following the standards that Scion has set. He gave me a case number (09071152xx) and told me that all he would've done was consulted the regional representative also since he's in California.

1708 - Receive a phone call from the service manager on behalf of Mr. Adam Graham who says that the regional person has denied any type of assistance and that the cost to fix the part is ~1650 (1150 part, 500 labor). The only advice she has to give me is to file it with my insurance company and be done with it.

1711 - I call USAA and inform them of the situation. I am then referred to Safelite auto glass and then when the lady on the phone realizes it's the 'moonroof' I am then referred to Night Watchman Glass (http://www.nightwatchman.net/aboutus.htm) since Safelite cannot handle the moonroof. I am given the number and then get off the phone to promptly call the company to find they are closed for the day.

Now I have two major issues with this:
1. I honestly did think that customer loyalty might come in to play regarding this issue. I bought this Scion and the Tundra from the same location. The sole reason I even bought the Tundra from them was due to the fact I was so happy with their customer service (true story). Viewing some of the other cases above it appears as if some of these roofs were handled on the dealer level.

2. As I mentioned above, had I struck the glass or did something 'out of the ordinary' I would be more than willing to accept the consequences (cost) of the roof.

In my opinion because of the circumstances, it's a manufacturer safety defect that's just ridiculous.

How would you go about this situation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN4288.jpg (44.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a) The "TSB" was actually for the wind deflector. Had nothing to do with the sunroof itself. And it was only just to keep the glass together and hopefully from falling into the cabin.

b) It's glass. It breaks. File the insurance claim and be done with it. No, you didn't do anything specific to cause it... but temperature changes, pressure changes, weather changes, all can contribute to glass breaking. No, it is not extremely common - but it happens.

It is obviously not a warranty item (extended or not) - not a defect or a failure. It is glass, like I said, it breaks. If you consider that a safety issue, you honestly shouldn't have bought a car with a roof made ENTIRELY of glass.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member

well noted on the TSB... I am incorrect with my statements for the TSB...
Old 07-14-2009, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

sometimes dealerships just cannot do anything........sounds like they tried to help but even big business like Toyota has to draw the line somewhere.

most likely the heat of the day and pressure in the cabin built up and popped it........it really sucks.

Now the good news is this.......if your insurance will cut you a check for repairs minus deductable,get a quote on repair,which sounds like you did,get the money fro repair minus the deductable,then goto dealership and see if you can get a discount on the part,install it yourself,it is easy to do,like 10 small bolts and it is up and out......only need to pull pillars and headliner to do it,3 hour job to gut and put in new,then say an hour to install interior again......

Now hear me out.......if you have a 500 deductable well you will get a check for the amount of the top basically and save your deductable money by putting in your self......you can do it.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shoot, hate to see this is still happening. (My thread is one of the ones you pointed to).

When it happened to me, my car was still under warranty, and both the dealer I took it to (not the one I bought it from) and Scion corporate were super cooperative, compassionate, and understanding. Part of that may be because I was going highway speeds when it happened, and really could've been killed. It really sucks that they're not doing right after knowing that this is a defect of the 2005s.

When I got my car back from the dealer, the invoice listed the total cost at around $4000. If Scion didn't take care of me back then, I definitely wouldve retained a lawyer.

Good luck, and all I can suggest is keep bugging corporate. Make threats if you need to, but don't give up. Hell, if you need a statement from me or anything, I'd be more than willing to provide a testimonial that the same crap happened to me.

On a good note, the roof has been solid since being replaced in 2006 - no creaking, no cracking noises... Once it's fixed it should be good to go.

Since your msg was so long, I didn't read it all. Apologize if anything I said has already been addressed or didn't make sense.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Default shattered sunroof

It sounds like the exact same thing that happened to you happened to me. 2 weeks ago when I came out of work I found my sunroof shattered. I took it to the dealer and assumed the extended warranty I bought would cover it. However, I found out today that the warranty company declined to cover it because the believe it was due to physical damage. I work for a company with high security and there is no way it could have been physically damaged. Because of where my car was parked though they were not able to get in on their security cameras. The dealer recommended I turn it in on my insurance and tell them a rock hit my sunroof. I do not want to do this because I know that is not what happened. I looked at the videos of your car and it looks exactly like the pics I took of mine. I wondered what you ended up doing and if you got scion to actually pay to replace the sunroof?
Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

It is still in pending. I wrote a letter to the president and the Scion representative. I sent it out Thursday and received a response from the president via email Saturday. Since I have not received nor negotiated any type of arrangements or deals, I'll refrain from any type of I 'think' this will happen.

I promise to keep this up to date when something more happens.

I just noticed the links died.. i fixed em

regards,
xavier
Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

XSNSX

I have Sandra Maestas number if you'd like to contact her. She is the regional rep for Scion. I will be pming you here number shortly
Old 07-22-2009, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the 05-06 tc's had a recall if i remember correctly on the sun roof. Too many of them shattered or cracked. So you might wanna ask them about that next as a rebuttle