Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

how was your experience at the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default how was your experience at the dealership?

im going to buy a tC in a couple of months and i'm just curious about how ur experience at the dealership was? Whats with this "pure pricing" thing? I want a silver streak tC manual with no accessories which is about $16500. does that mean I get it for that price before tax, intrest, etc...?

How much did you end up paying for ur car? Im kinda short on money but I want this car more than anything else. i need my monthly payments as low as possible!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Experience at Kalamazoo Metro Scion in Michigan with Tobin Todd was excellent. Easy and painless.
Pure pricing is they won't budge on any price on anything.
My g/f got a flint mica stock everything. It was Almost $16500 BEFORE taxes. After everything (tax, registration, plates, etc) it was just a tad under $18000. BTW, she put down a fairly large downpayment so she isn't paying a humongous amount per month. She is financing through Toyota.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So they wont budge on prices but what about other things, like interest rates or whatever. Basically anybody here get something - special - ?
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They won't budge on price. Interest rates depend on your credit. She had her dad cosign so the interest rate was fairly low (3.9% I think). If she had done it herself with little to no credit history, it would've been almost 10%!!. There are some special programs, like if you just graduated from college, etc. Also, there are also the special interests varying by dealerships.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: how was your experience at the dealership?

Originally Posted by tC_kevin
I want a silver streak tC manual with no accessories which is about $16500. does that mean I get it for that price before tax, intrest, etc...?
That's exactly what I ordered. It will be $16,465 PLUS tax, license and doc fees. My dealer is quoting me a bit under $18,100 OTD but that's because the tax rate out here in CA is 8.25%.

Good luck trying to find a dealer that will order you one without the $145 floor mats.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, since im only 17, i have no credit. So im gonna do it under my dad's name. He has really good credit. If they approve him for about 4% and sales tax here is 7.75% and with my $7,000 downpayment my monthly payment will be $198 for 60 months! score!

With floor mats it will be $201 a month
Old 02-01-2005, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

it was incredible, I was treated like royalty, got the best APR toyota can give in the area, no haggle anything and the only thing I could say is the financing guy was way, way, way too pushy and half-talking out his ___ and not making any sense trying to get me to buy all this crap I didn't want nor need.

but do research, especially if you're buying a scion and don't know what "Pure Pricing" means?

pure pricing, stay close to MSRP but has to be listed on their website, their show floor and on the sticker on the car, no exceptions to those prices, every dealer I saw had everything at MSRP because they make good profit at doing so. There isn't anything to haggle on or get on a special deal except maybe your APR depending on credit score. Or later stuff like every other oil change is free, or every other maintenance is half off or whatever (I have every other oilchange at whatever miles for the life of the car are free and every other maintenance check is half off the bottom line, toldja it was like royalty, I had some connections)

and no dealership should order your car with options. period. You tell them what you want and they get it, if noone claims a car and they order it they can put whatever they want on it, but should do the right thing if you want *that* car and take off what you don't want. If not, report them to Scion and go elsewhere.

at your state sales tax, figure at least 2200-2500 over stock MSRP not just for tax, but state fees, licensing, tag, title, financing charges etc on my figures you're looking at about $210 without floor mats. at that low get some options on that baby, at the dealership or not. Or knock a year off your financing and pay $262/mo and you'll have the car paid off by the time you can legally drink
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
it was incredible, I was treated like royalty, got the best APR toyota can give in the area, no haggle anything and the only thing I could say is the financing guy was way, way, way too pushy and half-talking out his ___ and not making any sense trying to get me to buy all this crap I didn't want nor need.

but do research, especially if you're buying a scion and don't know what "Pure Pricing" means?

pure pricing, stay close to MSRP but has to be listed on their website, their show floor and on the sticker on the car, no exceptions to those prices, every dealer I saw had everything at MSRP because they make good profit at doing so. There isn't anything to haggle on or get on a special deal except maybe your APR depending on credit score. Or later stuff like every other oil change is free, or every other maintenance is half off or whatever (I have every other oilchange at whatever miles for the life of the car are free and every other maintenance check is half off the bottom line, toldja it was like royalty, I had some connections)

and no dealership should order your car with options. period. You tell them what you want and they get it, if noone claims a car and they order it they can put whatever they want on it, but should do the right thing if you want *that* car and take off what you don't want. If not, report them to Scion and go elsewhere.

at your state sales tax, figure at least 2200-2500 over stock MSRP not just for tax, but state fees, licensing, tag, title, financing charges etc on my figures you're looking at about $210 without floor mats. at that low get some options on that baby, at the dealership or not. Or knock a year off your financing and pay $262/mo and you'll have the car paid off by the time you can legally drink
wow, thanks for that. Im hoping they can give my dad a good deal on the APR. we bought our 99 Sienna at my local toyota/scion dealer, and they gave us a great deal on it. Hopefully they will give us a good deal again since we are loyal customers

Now that I have the money issues settled, all I need to do is convince my dad that buying this car is a good idea. He is telling me to wait a year and buy a used one, which i do not want to do. Any idea how the resale value for these will hold up?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PnAyHoTsPt
I want a silver streak tC manual with no accessories which is about $16500. does that mean I get it for that price before tax, intrest, etc...?
That's exactly what I ordered. It will be $16,465 PLUS tax, license and doc fees. My dealer is quoting me a bit under $18,100 OTD but that's because the tax rate out here in CA is 8.25%.

Good luck trying to find a dealer that will order you one without the $145 floor mats.
The total for mine (silver 5spd no options) including all fees and taxes was $18118.10. That's at 8.5% tax rate for Redwood City in the Bay Area.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by erazboy

The total for mine (silver 5spd no options) including all fees and taxes was $18118.10. That's at 8.5% tax rate for Redwood City in the Bay Area.
Tax is a bit higher over there eh? I live in SSF so they're only charging me 8.25%. BTW, which dealer did you get it from... and what were your experiences?
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44604

I think it was quite detailed, I was in such a happy mood after coming back from the dealer Check it out, I tried to explain most of it!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

power scion of cerritos was not very helpful. they have very nice guys working there, but they weren't helpful as to keeping me up to date with wait times, etc. 8 1/2 weeks later i got my SSM 5sp. make sure to shop around before you order.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess on a scale of 1-10 my experience at bill wright was like 8 for the buying process. For the installation of some things, my experience was 1. The stupid ___ service rep took my car out to lunch and made me wait for 2 hours and put 5 miles on my car. Not so ____ed about the 5 miles but the wait. wtf. Don't ever go there, but if you do, make sure you stay with the car so they don't take it out to lunch and make you wait 2 hours. just a rant.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

finance through a credit union and you will be having monthly payments $30 less than the dealer quoted with scion financing. I did it, and im very glad
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member

Tax is a bit higher over there eh? I live in SSF so they're only charging me 8.25%. BTW, which dealer did you get it from... and what were your experiences?
I thought it was 8.5% everywhere on the peninsula and south bay?? Anyways, I got my tC at the place right off 101 on Whipple near the Malibu mini-golf place and next to the movie theater. The guys I spoke to were real cool. They didn't try to sell me stuff I didn't want or act like they didn't care. Maybe it's because I had called earlier to let them know I was coming in when I checked out their website and saw the exact one I wanted in stock. Dude said a lot of people call but never show up. We haggled a bit over the price of my trade-in. I kept saying no until they gave me a number I was OK with. And that was it. Where did you get yours from?
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got treated great. They added Floor Mats, Tint and a full tank of gas for free!!!. I got the xA already and my tC comes in March. Got them both financed at Pentagon Fed Credit Union, the best damn bank in the world cause they approved both loans at once!!! The xA I got for 15,500 and the tC a bit over 19,000 since I added alot of extras.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by erazboy

I thought it was 8.5% everywhere on the peninsula and south bay?? Anyways, I got my tC at the place right off 101 on Whipple near the Malibu mini-golf place and next to the movie theater. The guys I spoke to were real cool. They didn't try to sell me stuff I didn't want or act like they didn't care. Maybe it's because I had called earlier to let them know I was coming in when I checked out their website and saw the exact one I wanted in stock. Dude said a lot of people call but never show up. We haggled a bit over the price of my trade-in. I kept saying no until they gave me a number I was OK with. And that was it. Where did you get yours from?
Your tax rate is determined by the county that you LIVE in, not where you purchased your car. In CA, that ranges from 7.25% (out in the boonies) to 8.75% (Alameda County).

Hey you know what? If you live in Redwood City, they should have charged you 8.25%. You can check your rate here:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates010105.cgi

So you got yours at Scion (Toyota) 101... I've had bad experiences there when I was shopping around for my bf's 2004 Corolla S and also for my tC now. The salesmen there use high-pressure tactics (at leat the ones we've dealt with). We wanted to test drive one of their Corollas last year and the guy wanted us to sign the finance papers first! Yeah right. As we were walking away, the guy tells us "Thanks for not wasting my time." Geeez.. felt so special. I also called them about the tC and they sounded so desperate. They wanted me to come in and look at their inventory. They wouldn't even answer the simple question "Do you have a manual SSM in stock?".

I have a deposit now at Melody Toyota in San Bruno and I'm thinking about putting a double deposit over at Putnam in Burlingame to see which one can get it first. Hope it comes soon tho...
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont let the "pure pricing" strategy fool you into letting your guards down. Hartford (CT) Toyota tried to rip me off by giving me the toyota finance rate, which is typically higher than the rate given to scion customers. So I left the store and went somewhere else for the correct price and finance rate, but even that dealer seemed a little shady. In the end I got the pure pricing, but I had to go through a couple of dealers.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pure price seems to only be for the base vehicle. Depending on the dealers I checked out, the accessories (all the same and directly from Scion) were priced differently, the one that stood out to me was the lip spoiler. $350 at one dealer and $400 at another?... just have to watch out for that
Old 02-01-2005, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member

Your tax rate is determined by the county that you LIVE in, not where you purchased your car. In CA, that ranges from 7.25% (out in the boonies) to 8.75% (Alameda County).

Hey you know what? If you live in Redwood City, they should have charged you 8.25%. You can check your rate here:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/cgi-bin/rates010105.cgi

So you got yours at Scion (Toyota) 101... I've had bad experiences there when I was shopping around for my bf's 2004 Corolla S and also for my tC now. The salesmen there use high-pressure tactics (at leat the ones we've dealt with). We wanted to test drive one of their Corollas last year and the guy wanted us to sign the finance papers first! Yeah right. As we were walking away, the guy tells us "Thanks for not wasting my time." Geeez.. felt so special. I also called them about the tC and they sounded so desperate. They wanted me to come in and look at their inventory. They wouldn't even answer the simple question "Do you have a manual SSM in stock?".

I have a deposit now at Melody Toyota in San Bruno and I'm thinking about putting a double deposit over at Putnam in Burlingame to see which one can get it first. Hope it comes soon tho...

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience there. I guess they didn't try to scam me because they knew I already had my mind made up before I even showed up. Even test drove the one I bought within 5 mins of walking in. The people are Melody are pretty cool. I bought my last car from Putnam a few yrs ago and the person I talked to there was the worst I have encountered. But the price was good, so I bought the car anyway. Hope you get yours soon!

Quick Reply: how was your experience at the dealership?