2005-2010 [ANT10]

How was your Scion buying experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How was your Scion buying experience?

Mine was great.

I did most "paper work" over the phone. The guy I bought it from is really cool. He faxed me applications, filled them out, and faxed them back. Minutes later, he had a quote. I didn't need to negotiate since he always gives me rock bottom deals. I liked the numbers and the offer for my trade.

Drove to the dealership, hugged my Corolla good bye and it was off to the show room. I picked out a blue tC but the RS2.0 caught my eyes. Changed my mind and decided to get that. Filled out paperworks, cut my downpayment check and the car was mine.

The whole transaction took about 35 minutes.

Would I buy another Scion? Heck yeah.

I'd probably buy an xB when I have kids. It'd be sweeter if by that time, it came with a larger motor, 1.8L Corolla would be fine.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea i had a good experience.
It sucked one way cause the porters pulled the car up behind the glass of where the agent was sitting, so I was staring at it the whole time!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my experience is above average for a car salesman but I still had some complaints. They kept trying to force me to buy a dark blue 06 that had been driven (or test driven) quite a lot.... basically they couldnt get rid of it.
The dealer didnt have any designated Scion dealers, they can sell both Toyota and Scion.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My deal went pretty smooth............. went in to look at new Camrys and ended up buying the 2007 Scion tC. Replaced my wifes 1990 Mazda RX-7 with it. She loves the new tC.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well everything so far so good i pick the car up tmrw all the paper work is done just had to wait for the check from my check to clear. My salesman was awesoem didn't force me into anything( was gonna get a spec realized it wasn't for me). Only thing was iffy on was the pure priceing still feel like i could have got a better deal if i haggled.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose it was ok, but kinda weird, not being able to haggle over price. Not like I didn't try, but it was strange caving when they wouldn't even give me $100 off. For some reason it felt like I wasn't getting a bargain, even though I suppose it was the best car of it's type that I could get out the door for <$20k.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^i felt exactly the same way ^
Old 09-21-2006, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So far very slow

i'v been waiting 39 days for a 07 Base FM Manual and havent heard a word from the dealer except when i call them and ask if they have heard anything man i hate idaho
Old 09-21-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty sad at toyota of orlando... salesman had no clue what was going on

courtesy toyota = AWESOME experience. It was truly a pleasure buying my tC, there was never, ever ANY pressure to do anything except what *I* wanted to do. And he called me personally for anything and everything, even gave me his personal cell phone number.

great guy, if only I had people to refer lol
Old 09-21-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

why doesn't this cover all scions? not just the TC?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine was Good till the day I picked it Up...

The dealer guy was a butt-hole..didnt really tell me much about the car etc..

I was waiting for this cool Scion Experience...got Nada...
He told me I theres NO such thing as 3 FREE Oil Changes too...and wasn't "friendly"...so he was a *****...

They didnt even clean my tC well it wasnt smooth to the touch!...I had to re-detail the entire car again when I got home!!...GGGrrrrrrrrrr.....lol
Old 09-21-2006, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

mine was great!!!

I was acutually shopping for a civic but when i walked to check the toyota dealer and caught glimpse on the rs2 i was hooked and never looked back.. 2 days later i took it home.. dealer was pretty quick with paperwork and no pressure with options... good thing i decided quickly coz 2 hours later a guy came in and wanted to buy the rs2 also..
Old 09-21-2006, 05:15 AM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Civic isn't really a good comparison to the tC. To get a decently equiped Civic, you'd have to spend about $17,000. For that price, you can get a better equiped tC with more power and a higher resale value.

I don't get why people compare the Civic Si to the tC. The Si has a more refined tuned engine and suspension. The car also costs about $5,000 more.

An SI start at $21,800 not including dealer mark ups. So far, I've looked at 3 SIs before I got my tC and all had mark ups. $24,000 was the cheapest one I saw and for that price, I'd rather get a WRX, a far superior car.

The closest competitor for the tC would be an Accord coupe. 2 dr 2.4L engine. Unfortunately for the Accord, it also starts at $21,000. If you want one with a moon roof, that'll set you back $22,700.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member

My experience was great.

But i guess im lucky...i work with the salesman's step-father at work. So i sort of have a person on the inside if you will if anything goes wrong

The only thing that sucked was the set pricing kept me from getting a killer deal..since he could get me any other car at their fleet employee prices(a 15k accord for like 13.2k so not a huge price cut but still nice).

I was also debating getting the Tough Guard car protectant coating, decided what the hell its worth a try..

And so far all i can say is wow it does what it says We'll see if it holds up as good as it says.

It's like uhh, i guess somewhat between a wax and clearcoat protectant they put inside and out..

The outside of my car stay's dealer shiney fresh(its actually slick if you put your hands over it, water doesnt stand a chance)..and the inside looks perma armor-all'd.

It's supposed to last like 5 years, and if it doesnt you get it redone free of charge...it came with the scratch/dent fixing warranty so whatever :/
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine was horrible.... THEY KEPT TRYING TO CONVINCE ME TO GET AUTO TRANNY...
the salesmen literally said to another salesmen (in spanish,... AND I SPEAK SPANISH) this kid dont know what he wants...
Old 09-21-2006, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member

mine went extremely well...

got it from frontier toyota in valencia, CA.... I went in there around 1130am...left by 230pm... had a very nice salesman... They didnt try to make me buy anything more than what i asked for...which was just the addition of an alarm...

overall it was a very good experience!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Both of mine were great, but I financed outside the dealer and bought bone stock cars... less the 2 hours on both rides.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i had great experience...i see my dealer once in awhile. He tells me to come back and show me what I have done to the car. nice group of people! A+ for them!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My experience was fine. Only downside... having to deal with a sales person. He didn't tell me one single thing about the car that I hadn't already read on here or online. He didn't know that the 2007 had slightly different HP/TQ numbers. He didn't know that the 2007 didn't have an available supercharger.

Personally, I wish I could just go to a dealership and NEVER have to deal with a salesperson. Just walk up and say "I want that one, in white, with these options". No haggle. No salesperson... that would be ideal.

But overall, it wasn't really that bad. I just wish you didn't have to get pressured/hassled/convinced by a salesperson.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:03 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What people often forget is that you should be the one in CONTROL of the situation, not the sales person. You hold all the cards you have the power to walk away anytime, the dealer does not.

I always tell them that I want to see and get a copy of my credit report
Often times, they don't show you your report and since most people aren't aware of their credit score, they can sucker you into higher APRs even if you have good credit.

People should also check their credit scores before going to dealerships so that you have an idea if the salesperson is bullcrapping you or not.

The Toyota website has a fairly accurate payment estimator. If you know your credit score, just plug it in and you can get a fairly accurate APR and payments. My credit was only 0.3% off from what my dealer told me.

However, the first car I bought, my Corolla in 2001, I was suckered into a 17%APR. I kid you not. That's what I get for being stupid. Now that I'm more aware, I got an APR of just under 5%.

The best way to twist the dealer's arm is to hesitate right after he prints the contract, but before you sign it. Often times, these guys would be frustrated since they've spent to much time with you already and they just want that sale. You can tell them "no" stand up and tell them you'll sleep on it. This will make them cringe. You can talk them down some more on your payments. The sales people are so eager to get you to sign it, since once you sign it, it is YOUR car and you can't do jack about it anymore.

I was able to knock down $55/month payment one time when I did this. Sure the dealer probably thought I was an a-hole for making him print out 4 contracts and I turned down 3 of them, but in the long run, I won. I saved over $3,000. I'm sure the salesperson and the finance manager hated me, but for $3,000... I don't give a rat's behind.

You can also get a free dinner. When I was shopping before I told the guy that I was hungry and getting a head ache. He ordered pizza and drinks and fed me. It's little things like that that you can get these guys. I'm sure many salespeople are good people, but many are also disgusting dirty sharks. But it's your money and you gotta get the most out of it.

Quick Reply: How was your Scion buying experience?