2005-2010 [ANT10]

I am gonna lemon law my Tc... South Florida

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I am gonna lemon law my Tc... South Florida

I just mailed the letter to CDSP (California Dispute Settlement Program) last Wednesday. I am totally fed up with the rattle noise in my car. I have the creaking noise in my sunroof, a rattle noise coming from the right rear area, possibly the hatch, and a clunking noise heard while shifting. I have had all these problems on my car since day one and have tried numerous fixes and brought the vehicle to the dealer too many times. I like my car a lot but, I would rather not have any of these concerns. The main reason I am going through this process is because the dealership King Toyota/Scion messed up my car sooooo many times I am just ____ed!

Seriously ! I was willing to deal with these little problems and try to fix it myself eventually (if I could) but every time I brought my car to that freaking dealership they always broke something on my car, they never put the panels back on right and they scratched up interior parts and got them all greasy too. They never fixed anything, just made it worse. One of the things that always got me ____ed was when they called me and said my car is all finished and ready to be picked up. They never fixed **** ! You would think they would have checked their work before they said the car is done., right? There is soooo much crap that happened at this dealership, I wouldn't want to waste anymore time typing about it.

If there is anyone else about to Lemon Law their car, don't give up!
King Toyota/Scion
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

why not contact Scion themselves? Im sure they will work with you?? Ive actually had the same problems but the dealer seems to be doing an OK job. I need to take it back AGAIN (i think this will be trip #5?). Sunroof/hatch rattle is back after giving me a new rear glass?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the dealership has scuffed up your ride, take it to them. Nobody here is going to agree with you lemoning your car over rattles. The majority of us have them, and have discovered and shared fixes.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

Man, some people realy get bent outta shape bacause of some rattles. You bought a $17,000 dollar Scion not a $150,000+ Bently. It's gonna make some noise.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been having the same problem

I have an 05, same hatch rattle and moonroof rattle. Took it in twice to get both problems fixed. The second time we had them do a side airbag recall...now everytime i roll down my window and back up again i get a large grease spot on my window. The driver window didnt work, and when i went back in to have them fix it, they said "uh, you didnt bring it in to get the window fixed" and i said "no $hit, you guys screwed it up, not me"

needless to say i drove away with the same rattles...just as bad as ever. And when my moonroof is in the vent position, it makes a horrible rattle, squeaking sound whenever i make a turn.

We are obviously getting fed up. We bought three cars from this dealer and are/were planning on buying two more, but if they cant fix a rattle im not too sure about it.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

i would say take it to another dealership to see what they can do.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The hatch/roof rattle is a very common problem on all tC's, fortunately mine doesn't seem to rattle at all.

But here on SL there is a tech article dedicated to just that; apparently somebody got fed up with it, too! In his case it was from the fins that separate the headliner from the actual roof of the car, where the fin was tapping on the roof (?). Let me see if I can find it really quick for ya:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79677
(It's a really good write-up, complete with plenty of pictures and documented info)

I'm sorry to hear about the problems, though! I don't know if you want to use this article to help fix the problem yourself, or if you go on to enacting the lemon law, but I wish you luck in your next step!

PS- Where are you in South Florida?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
Man, some people realy get bent outta shape bacause of some rattles. You bought a $17,000 dollar Scion not a $150,000+ Bently. It's gonna make some noise.
but it shouldnt make some noise. If it does, then something is not right. Rattles just drive some people nuts, including myself; it shows a lack of quality...something toyota is typically known for. I know there are fixes, but i shouldnt have to fix a car i just bought

i know it's not a bentley, but 20 grand is still expensive for a college student who needs a car to last for the next ten years.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I have an 05' and have some rattles too. It used to drive me nuts, so I took it into the dealer a couple times and when they checked it out, they fixed it for free because it was a TSB (or Toyota Service Bulletin for us less stealer-lingo inclined). Whatever fix they did (something to the effect of replacing a latch) it worked for about a month and then the rattle would come back. After that I just said f**k it and cranked up the tunes and since I drive with my windows down 90% of the time it's really not much of a problem anymore.

My whole theory is don't go to the dealer unless you're A) buying a car or B) have a serious mechanical warranty related problem, otherwise you'll completely waste precious hours of your life that you'll never get back and generally speaking will leave embittered and unsatisfied.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got tired of my TC with its rattles from sunroof,hatch, and some other little things so i sold that and bought something better.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xtigger
I got tired of my TC with its rattles from sunroof,hatch, and some other little things so i sold that and bought something better.
What do you drive now? I'm curious.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not trying to put you down but it sounds like you have a problem with the dealership, not the car itself. Contact Scion Corp. and see if they can work the matter(s) out with you.

This is why I do an inspection before and after I leave my tC at the dealership. I also take a digital camera (because my RAZR camera sux!) with me too. That way I can snap photos and have proof of any mishaps. The Dept. Managers just love it when I show up. I can see it in their faces.

I had rattles too until I fixed them with the 'foam/velcro the strikers method'. The only (minor) rattle I have now is the sunroof in the vent position. Nothing a loud stereo can't fix.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by captainlaziness
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default lemon law

I dont know if you guys have looked, but in my owners book it lists things not covered under warranty, squeeks and rattles are not covered. My xB started to rattle in the dash and doors after about 1000miles. It drives me nuts on my older (01 malibu)car but its somethin you will never get away from on a cheap car, sorry. If all you guys dont like rattles save for a Lexus. Its a fact if you lower a car and make the ride stiffer, put loud subs in it, like I did with my bu stuff is goin to rattle and over time come loose. And Im dont want to be negative cuz it drives me up the wall to, but I kinda figured buyin a new xB I would not have any noise for a long time but any new car made as cheap as ours I guess its the norm. So for the dealer to even look at your car kind supprises me. And if it states that in the warranty I dont think that would fall under the LEMON LAW. Just some thoughts (btw I know tC rattle alot I've been in more than a couple).
Old 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can't lemon a car because it has a few rattles.
Besides depending on which state you live in not sure about Florida but I know in Mass. The car has to have a certain number of MAJOR problems and must be in the dealership for X number of days consecutively If you get another tC i'm sure it will have the same rattles here and there.

If you where unpleased with the service of your dealer then you have a few option. Complain about the damage done to your car by the Toyota service tech, or you can alway go to another dealership.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree. Rattles happen. My car is in the shop right now from an accident. My first rental was a Chevy HHR with 1000 miles on it. It creaked and rattled on every bump. I know have a 2007 Mazda 6 rental. It rattles just the same.

We arent driving cadilacs.

As far as them messing stuff up. Call up Scion direct and complain. They will fix it. Its not the cars fault that the dealer has a bunch of morons working on your car.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 AM
SL Member

You guys are all nuts. It doesn't matter if we're driving $20,000 Scions or $150,000 Bentleys. The point is that these are very common problems on the car and they should be taken to task for it. I bought an '02 Sentra for my first car, brand new, and had no issues with it in the 4 years I had it. I'd still have it if I didn't total it.

The fact that these problems exist year in and year out on every model is inexcusable. The fact that we have to come up with our own fixes because the dealers can't is inexcusable. I hope you win your fight against them. I know it won't make a major difference in the long run, but you deserve your money back.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Its just a part of the car in this price range. to get rid of the squeaks there would have to be other materials added or a lot more time in design and both of those take $$$. I have a few ticks and my hatch makes a bumping noise in rough roads but almost all hatchbacks(in a coupe style) i've road in make that noise.....i know its annoying but after coming from a cheap american car ( like my old cavalier) this thing is like a lexus...IMO i dont think the lemon law will do any good or cover it...you do need to fix the deal with the dealers but i expect that kind of bad service from dealers...they care about our cars like we do.

goodluck tho
Old 10-22-2007, 12:58 PM
SL Member

Part of the price range? Dude, Dan that's B.S. I spent 8 grand less on the Sentra I mentioned and never had any problems with noises and rattles. Just because the car is less expensive than a high priced luxury car is no excuse for poor workmanship.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One
SL Member

I don't think people should have such impossible expectations. Yeah, rattles and squeeks are irratating but we're talking about a sub $20,000 hatchback with a sunroof.

Did you $8,000 cheaper Sentra have all the nice things your tC has?

Quick Reply: I am gonna lemon law my Tc... South Florida