I think I'm burning oil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Exclamation I think I'm burning oil...

I noticed before my last oil change that the oil light would come on during any hard braking. And when I actually did the oil change, I'm pretty sure that not as much drained out as I'm used to seeing (and I've done every oil change myself since I got this car in 2006). During the last change, I made sure the filter was on the correct number of turns, that the plug was tight, and that the filler cap was nice and snug. I might also add that the oil has been religiously changed every 5000 miles.

Pretty recently I've noticed that when I start the car after it's been sitting for a while, there's a knocking sound like you hear when you first start the car after changing the oil. And the light is once again coming on during hard braking. At one point I checked my oil and barely read anything on the dipstick, so I poured in what I had left from my last change and the sound went away for a week or two, but the knocking eventually came back (once again, only during start up after sitting overnight).

Anything that might cause this? The car has never been tracked and although I'm young, I am a mature driver when on the road. The cars roughest days were during the first six months or so when I can't really say the latter part of that last statement without lying, lol. I'm going to be changing my oil sometime this week, as I'm a little overdue this time around, and I would like to know if there are any things I should look for that might point out my problem. I know it isn't a leak. I've checked every place that I've parked for oil spots after letting the car sit a while and found nothing. And with the car at idle, I've never noticed any smoke coming from the exhaust, but I've never seen it driving away from me to know if anything happens at higher RPM.

Thanks for any help guys. I'd like to figure this out soon and I'm hoping it's nothing major. I'm in my last year of college right now and hoping to get a job soon so I can find something new and a little more practical to drive. But in terms of repairs, my family is in a bit of a pinch (like the most of us with this economy ) and it's really gonna suck if I have to get a dealer to do some sort of major repair.

Last edited by SCIONshane; 08-09-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

If you engine motor oil is low without evidence of a leak on more than one occasion you could be burning the oil from one or more of the following problems:
1- Blocked or defective PCV system that would raise engine crankcase pressure and push oil past the valve guide or rear seals.
2- Worn valve guides and/or valve guide seals allowing oil to be drawn into the cylinder.
3- Worn oil control piston rings allowing oil to reach the combustion chamber.
4- Blocked oil return passages in the cylinder heads which blocks the motor oil from returning to the oil sump, and the oil is drawn into the cylinder through the valve guides.
You can determine if your engine is burning oil by examining the electrodes on all of the engine spark plugs. Oil fouling will be black in color and may be wet or appears as a "baked" on deposit that looks like a small bit of coal.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you making long trips? High RPM's ?
I been traveling for work, 5 hr trips every other weekend. On long rides being at a high RPM its normal to burn a little bit of oil (also states this in manual).

You should be checking your oil levels every once and a while regardless.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

start with any visible leaks, then check the plugs
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

Originally Posted by TTCCC
Are you making long trips? High RPM's ?
I been traveling for work, 5 hr trips every other weekend. On long rides being at a high RPM its normal to burn a little bit of oil (also states this in manual).

You should be checking your oil levels every once and a while regardless.

I don't think my car's ever been more than maybe an hour and a half from where I live, believe it or not. lol. I live with my parents right now, and any big trips I always ride with them. I do drive about 30-45 minutes to school and 30-45 minutes back every weekday depending on traffic conditions. Speed is always 60 at most (55mph zones all the way except one little 35 zones through a small town for maybe 5 minutes) and my car is a 5 spd manual. As much as I would like to say it's normal, it's only recently become a noticeable problem.

As far as RPM's go, as I said, I drive a 5 spd and never get on the interstate unless I'm in some kind of hurry. So my RPM's are whatever you get in 5th between 35 and 60 mph. Occasionally I'll stay in 4th when I'm in a 35 mph zone.

I must admit, I'm quite ashamed of myself for not keeping my oil checked as I should lately. Ever since I got my Ducati, I've kind of pushed the car to the side.