2005-2010 [ANT10]

I think my O2 sensor is not working (verify me please)>FI

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I think my O2 sensor is not working (verify me please)>FI

I have a Turbonetics turbo and a CEL, got it scanned...code is P2195 O2 sensor signal stuck lean - bank1 sensor1 I checked for everything...boost leaks, loose parts, vacuum hoses/ports...theyre all re-tightened and where theyre supposed to be. and CEL still on. I already ordered the AEM UEGO wideband so i could find out the reading. but i have the code, so i dont think it matters...

and so i tried to do this-->checked for OHM/resistance and did the "air/fuel sensor" (primary O2). Dont know how it works by the way, lol, so guide me on this...

-->first one, I had the multimeter **** on the OHM, positive(+) prob on #1, and negative prob on #2, the meter reads at 1.5, when it should be 1.8 to 3.4 OHM (not hot temp.) tried to switch it the other way around, still reads at 1.5

-->Now the second one, also tried to do it both ways around for #1 and #4, and it read 0. it says AF, i think thats the air/fuel signal?? ...it could be that the whole O2 sensor is jacked the Fucl< up.

...what do you guys think ??? Did anyone try this, especially when you cant fix your CEL ever ????

oh, and i was searching for O2 sensor online to buy, and i came around with toyotas having some bad O2 sensor (throwing codes/CEL) issues going on from people. hmmm.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You probably damaged it when you took it out of the stock manifold. There have been a few people that had this problem already. Mine wouldn't come out, so instead of forcing it off. I just brought a new one. Better than the headaches that come later from a damaged O2 sensor
Old 06-04-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm no expert but sounds like you did the test correctly. I understand that page from the manual to mean exactly as you described, read the resistance between pins 1-2 then between 1-4.

I don't think it matters which way you connect the multimeter since you're measuring resistance and that should be the same either way through the circuit.

There's usually a bunch of range settings on the multimeter for resistance but it sounds like you had the right one since you got a 1.5 reading. I know some I've used can give a reading then say -e or something similar afterwards indicating you have it set on the wrong range.

For the pins 1-4 again you'll want to set the multimeter to kohms or even the next one up if it has that setting since the resistance you should be getting is 10,000 ohms or greater.

Your multimeter might be more advanced than this though and set it's range automatically. If it just has one setting called 'ohms' then it probably is.

One thing I would try to ensure you tested it correctly, is also measure the other sensor's resistances. If they come out to be what they should, you can probably assume your multimeter works fine and you tested it correctly.

Again I'm no expert but it does sound like you tested it correctly and the readings you got were out of spec. My guess is that the sensor is defective, but I'd get a second (or professional!) opinion.

By the way, what service manual is that page from, and where can you get it?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wolfe
By the way, what service manual is that page from, and where can you get it?
i seen it someplace here on SL. just research it and youll find it, it was a free download 70+ MB size file of shop manual.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ha! picked up my air/fuel sensor today from the dealer, installed it...and NO CEL !! felt the power coming back from the turbo again, for $261.85 grrr.

FYI, there is a gray substance they put around the sensor thread to make it permanently bolted...that is why when taking it off, youre going to strip the thread (maybe damaged it too). Same goes to the new sensor i picked up, what i did was i wipe it off. wise a$$ toyota, lol.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCing_U
ha! picked up my air/fuel sensor today from the dealer, installed it...and NO CEL !! felt the power coming back from the turbo again, for $261.85 grrr.

FYI, there is a gray substance they put around the sensor thread to make it permanently bolted...that is why when taking it off, youre going to strip the thread (maybe damaged it too). Same goes to the new sensor i picked up, what i did was i wipe it off. wise a$$ toyota, lol.
That grey stuff is so the senser doesn't get stuck. Its an antiseize compound. You should have left it.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch

That grey stuff is so the senser doesn't get stuck. Its an antiseize compound. You should have left it.
oh ****, really. cuz i thought when i stripped my old sensor it looked like that same grey stuff, but its just hardened. so i figured it mustve been the cause why i stripped my sensor...it made it harder to take it off. *sigh*
Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch

oh ****, really. cuz i thought when i stripped my old sensor it looked like that same grey stuff, but its just hardened. so i figured it mustve been the cause why i stripped my sensor...it made it harder to take it off. *sigh*
Yeah that stuff belongs there. Glad you got the car running the way it's supposed to run. Have fun boosting Turbonetics style
Old 04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

do you have a part number for that sensor