Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

i wans't impressed. :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default i wans't impressed. :(

well we checked it out during import motion because they had about 6 there. here is my little list of things i liked vs things ididnt like.

liked:
styling - very much like a celica replacement. clean overall exterior
headlights - looked awesome needs some eyebrows to cover them though.
stereo - very nice sounding for factory though it had the sub included.
build quality - very nice quality. they did a hell of a job making it look near perfect.
Glass roof - ULTRA COOL and nice.
reclining rear seats - need i say more???
great rear leg room - near equal to my camry.
engine - QUIET
aftermarket -comming real soon

disliked:
front seat - im not a huge person 5'10 240lbs but man i felt to big for the car. i would be sharing with my wife, but still too small for me
rear seats - when you sit in them you can feel a bar under you. NOT ENOUGH PADDING hell even the rep agreed
cloth material - did not like it at all. the material covering the doors, seats, and armrest felt extremely cheap. fetl like well hmm 2 dollar polyester. though it did look nice, it just was not comfortable. and when you spend alot of time in your car, it makes a huge impact.
back of front seat - you can see though to the framerails through the material . im guessing they made it loose for rear knee room but man.
interior panels - felt cheap. just a step above sentra quality. though they had some padding there was excessive use of plastic. touching it with a little pressure you could feel the hard plastic below it. NOTHING like my cam.

the thing that made the biggest difference in the choice of wanting to purchase the car was the cloth material. it felt plasticy. my wife felt real uncomfortable after sitting for 15 minutes becuase of this.
i justified everything. i think if toyota did use a different material (CLOTH)for the seats and door panel/side panels, they would have had a huge hit.
EDIT: las thing i didnt like was the rear sunshade. they should have made it a solid panel shade rather than the retractable vinyl one.

i am entitled to my opinions so dont flame. just comment.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Solutions for bad:

• racing seats on handmade sliders
• remove rear seats completely
• fiberglass door panels

You say you felt big in it. How so? Were you high up from the floor, was the seat too small, what?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: i wans't impressed. :(

Originally Posted by Trdkamuri510
disliked:
front seat - im not a huge person 5'10 240lbs but man i felt to big for the car. i would be sharing with my wife, but still too small for me
Well, I'm 5'9" and 120lbs, so I'd say yeah you are....
Old 06-20-2004, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I actually loved the cloth seats on the Tc, a lot better then the seats used in the other toyota products.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Banned
SL Member

I remember you from Camryman.org. I havent tried the tC myself (i drive the box). Yeah, I miss the Camry's vinyl padding on the doors and dash. Although the cloth seats on the Camry, honestly sucks. But I also miss the Driver Power seat on the Gen4.5Camry. I wonder if Scion will ever have driver power seat. The seats need better adjusting Have you checked out the big boat Solara with it's big butt?:D
Old 06-20-2004, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

240 not huge? Haha. I am 5'8 and 120. That is two times as big as me.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: i wans't impressed. :(

Originally Posted by CuPoJava
disliked:
Well, I'm 5'9" and 120lbs, so I'd say yeah you are....
yea 240 is kinda... huge, and wide. I think the padding will be fine for most people who are 45-90lbs lighter.
oh and you might want to actually drive it first. and if you did you said nothing about acceleration and handling.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i justified everything. i think if toyota did use a different material (CLOTH)for the seats and door panel/side panels, they would have had a huge hit.

i'm sorry but its already a hit. we have 47 deposits and counting as of today, but 16 of the 47 was the last 4 days. :D
Old 06-20-2004, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Yea, the seat material isn't really going to make many people think twice when the rest of the package is so good. I agree though, I wish that leather was an option because the cloth material in the car is so weird...they should of also looked at the VW GTI interior's cloth for a hint...
Old 06-21-2004, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member

chainlink type material is not grade A to say the least. my knees were hitting the dash as i do like to sit up and SEE over the dash instead of looking like im 5'2 like most of you smaller people. . all cars (minus aztek) have initail great sales. think of the H2 for the first 3 months after that the sales have decreased every month since then.

looks like im getting a GASP accord possibly.

as for the solara comment. dare you to visit solaraguy.com and say it.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The seat material will stay cleaner than cloth ever will. It's not lint-attracting, so they stay cleaner looking.

If the material is your biggest gripe, then I'd say it's a pretty damned good car.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

chainlink type material is not grade A to say the least. my knees were hitting the dash as i do like to sit up and SEE over the dash instead of looking like im 5'2 like most of you smaller people. . all cars (minus aztek) have initail great sales. think of the H2 for the first 3 months after that the sales have decreased every month since then.

true, sales of any car is always great the first year but this car doesn't have the price of a H2. that's why sales of corolla's, civic's, camry's and accords never really fall off from year to year cause of the price.

seeing over the dash of any car will be hard when automakers are making cars with shorter and shorter front and rear overhangs. having the driver seat lower will give the driver more feedback on what's going on than a higher seating position. that's why all true sports cars has the driver sitting in the car like if you were lying down in a bathtub.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

All cars? Last time I looked, the Chevrolet Aveo wasn't flying off the dealer lots :D. True, many cars have good sales in the first model year but I honestly think that Scion has hit a chord with not just the tC but all their models and the brand overall. Seat quality is something that can be fixed in the next model year but the car overall is a great buy for most people...definitely a better package then a Civic coupe IMHO. Still, Scion needs to look at the Mazda 3 seats for some inspiration...
Old 06-21-2004, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

its not just the seat material. its the material covering the door inserts, rear panels and the armrest. hell the material felt like it was going to rip right off on the armrest. we were offered a sponsorship from the dealer though if we bought it. then again we are at almost all shows across california. its a decent car. esp. for the price. calling me big or whatever can get me to sit on your face and fart when i do see you as benching a 150lb kid is not very hard.

as for the driving impressions, well you kinda cant take a car that is displayed in a carshow for a testdrive you think i forgot the guy from scionmag's name but he was a pretty cool guy. we are going to drive it sometime this week and see how we feel about the manual vs auto. one complaint my wife had about the auto was the gated shifter as she's not "used" to it.

i also agree that i would take it over a civic coupe but i do like the cloth material much better in the civic . imagine driving on a hot day. my wife was sticking to the seats EASILY (she models duh) and that turned her away from the car.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it the same cloth as the xB?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

sure doesnt feel the same. i actually like the XB interior better. but it doesnt have enough power to satisfy my craving nor having the smog legal parts that can make up for it. nor does it have enough legroom for me in the front with the seats all the way back.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm .... i wonder why they don't have leather seat as an option
Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do not like the seat material on my 2003 civic EX coupe. It attracts tons of lint and cat hair. Even a vacuum will not get the hair off. Have to use a lint brush.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can always get aftermarket race seats....Sparco anybody?
Old 06-21-2004, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member

still deciding on which car will be the daily driver. racing seats are an option but more than likely i would go with a katzskin interior. at least bit like i said i dont like the seat/insert/panel material. the other part is the bar you feel under the back seat righ about where the foam gets a bit of a molding. sacraficed for headroom. even the 5'8 150lb guy could feel it so you cant tell me its my fat ___.

Quick Reply: i wans't impressed. :(