Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

im getting depressed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default im getting depressed!!!

okok... my car is BRAND NEW, but. my something is up with my third gear. its driving me nuts!!.
at first i thought it was me (i was a stick newbie when i got my car), but my third gear was grinding at random times...
now its happening 3-4 times a day and i KNOW im pressing the clutch down all the way. is this happening to ANYONE else?

my dealership is 1 hr away in culver city and i dont wanna drive all the way down there if its jsut a tiny little thing. argH!!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

take it to the closest toyota dealership and have them take a look at it. good luck.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you have your boyfriend drive it? you might be releasing the clutch before you put the car in gear or not pushing the clutch in before you make the shift(things like this happen if you're not paying attention). how long has the car been doing this? it might just be how you drive, as you're a stick n00b and all. maybe take it to a local shop and see what they have to say..
Old 11-21-2005, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have heard a couple of people mention this. A lot of manufacturers (the rsx has also had owners complain of gears grinding for example) have had here-and-there issues with synchros and such, so you could have gotten a messed up tranny. If that is the case they will simply swap it out rather than fix the tranny, it is faster and easier that way. Just make sure the tech rides in it and sees it happen. If it is indeed UE (user error) he should tell you what the issue is and help you figure it out, not saying that is the case though, just one possibility. If not, he should be able to duplicate it and have the warranty service taken care of. If this is indeed a real issue, please feel free to add to the data here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...578&highlight=

Sorry to sound like I am spamming my thread, but the more data we get the better. I personally love my tC and have not had the issues some have, but with the way some dealers are treating people (especially younger drivers) the results, as long as we have a good number of inputs to provide statistical points, could help out in the long run. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I grind 2nd and 3rd from time to time, mostly because I am not used to having to push the clutch all the way to the floor. In my last car, I only had to have the clutch down about half way to shift.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Here is the problem......You have never driven a manual before. If it's grinding into 3rd, 4th or any gear for that matter EVERY single shift, then you have a problem. But if it's not doing it EVERY shift into 3rd, then it's not the car.

Don't worry, my g/f went through the same thing. I tought her how to drive a manual in all of 3 days. Then we went and got the TC. There was times when she shifted, and screwed something up, and was like what the heck, my car isn't shifting....and Looked at the car like it crapped out on her or something. Trust me, it's not the car. We would get into arguments, when I would try to tell her that it's your driving. And she would yell back at me telling me she is pressing the clutch in all the way and putting the gear in all the way. Then when I would get in and drive, IT MAGICALLY disappeared. And she would be like WHATEVER.

Tip for newbie: Pay Attention to your clutch position, and make sure you are fully in the gear. You will have to do this for a month or so. After some seat time, the shifting will come second nature. No more grinding/stalls/mis-shifts. Just ask my girl. Her user name is "ISmokeGuys" here on scionlife.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

werd
Old 11-22-2005, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member

Default thanx

thanx for all the tips guys.
yea it only grinds in 3rd gear and its happening more a nd more often. its okay. it hopefully probably is me and not the car.