Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Insurance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default Insurance Problem

I just bought a SW TC with bodykit, pedastal, strut , intake, LED.

My car was ordered 3 weeks ago and just came in and is in the dealer's lot.
Problem is my insurance full cover is about 8 grand so im trying to put it under my Aunts name. Her Drivers liscence is in Massachussets but I want the car to be registered and insured in NYC.

The dealer told me he will take care of the insurance but now he seems to be not taking care of anything. He said he cant do that. (Bayride Scion NYC).

Is it possible to have the car insured and registered in NYC even though her drivers liscence is in Massachussets?

What can I do to get my car out of the lot?

If the car gets stolen or into an accident while im driving, what happens?
Old 09-18-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They won't let you take the car without insurance. And I don't think you can insure it from one state while you're in another - just not possible.

What have you don't that your insuance is $8k/yr? Especially at 22... I could understand a high price at 16 or so... but have you wrecked anything recently? Have you shopped around to other companies?
Old 09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

8k!!!!
what on earth did you do!

but actually wouldn't what you are trying to do be constituted as insurance fruad or are you going to be under your aunts name?
but if she is in another state I don't think you can make that work.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know it's not my business (although I would like to know) why the hell your insurance is 8 grand! That's insane! Did you do multiple hit and runs (into people) in one night or something?

I believe that you *must* be insured in the state which primary driver resides in.

You should have gotten your insurance taken care of before buying the car. I think you're just going to have to stick to public transportation for now...
Old 09-18-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by versello
You should have gotten your insurance taken care of before buying the car. I think you're just going to have to stick to public transportation for now...
He has a point. I searched and picked my insurance the way before I picked up my car.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

8k a year wow.....the highest quote i got for 1 yr was $5500 from AAA. thats in tx....but my dealer got me a helluva deal but living in one state and insuring is not possible...too many issues with fraud to deal with
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member

Yea, I'm really curious as to why this guy's insurance is so expensive. Maybe it's a typo?

I'm thirty years old with no violations, been driving since I was sixteen; I just started with AAA and I'm paying $1900 a year in Los Angeles. That's a top-flight policy too with a $500 deductible.

Did you price it out with your deductible at $0? Or maybe it's expensive because you drove into a preschool when you were younger?..
Old 09-18-2005, 09:14 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

8K!!! I pay like 3K and that is for a Miata, a F-150, a Saab 93 (That is turbo), and the xA. You need to shop around for better insurance. Personaly I called my insurance agent before I even told the wife I was getting the car.

You might want to tell the dealer that unless you can pay the insurance you can't buy the car and ask him to help you get insurance. Remember when he asked what it would take to get you in the car, tell him that affordable insurance is what it will take.

And I like others have to ask, what did you do? Do you live in the 130s? Do you not have a parking spot? Were your last 8 cars stolden and used in bank roberies? Do you live next to a chop shop? What did you do?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member

Also, I'm no expert in insurance but I know that if you have a car insured under a driver in MA and you get into an accident in NY, the first thing the insurance company is going to ask you is, "Why are YOU driving this car?"

I've heard of people having their cars insured in one part of the state that's less accident-prone (and thus leading to lower rates) while driving in another part of the same state. The explanation is easy: "I was visiting... blah blah blah". That happens in Los Angeles all the time.

What would be risky is what you're proposing. In fact, technically, I suppose it is insurance fraud.

My suggestion would be to raise your deductible, lower the limits on damage, medical, etc.. on your insurance, or shop around some more for better rates. I'm sure you can find something cheaper. OR have your parents add you to their insurance. At least there'll be a discount for a group plan.

However, if none of that is possible because the insurance company wants to charge you an exhorbitant amount because of the vehicular manslaughter on your record, then you my friend should not be driving.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deepfrieddoggie
Or maybe it's expensive because you drove into a preschool when you were younger?..
Or perhaps a retirement home?
Old 09-18-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sell auto insurance.

Your best bet is to go to a broker as they have multiple companies and can offer you a company that will accept you at the lowest cost. Some companies will allow out-of-state licenses and such. The problem with yours is that you will need one that can have an out-of-state license, a vehicle that is registered to someone other than the named insured, and secondly, you will need to have proof that your aunt "lives" in NY. Like a bill that goes to your house. Or have an insurance company that can exclude the first named insured.

In addition, putting the ins. under your aunt's name does not necessarily ensure that the cost of the ins. will be cheaper. Insurance companies rate the highest risk driver to the highest risk vehicle. So in short, your insurance will usually be the same cost if you add a person to your own personal auto policy.

Don't forget to add persistency discounts (provide proof with declarations pages/letter of experience/ins. cards), if you're a good student, etc.

Btw,
his premiums could also be outrageous just because of where he lives. For example, a policy written for the LA area is usually double to triple the cost of ins. for the same person if they lived in the OC area instead.

Example: I wrote a policy for a Suzuki Forenza on a 22 year old that lived in LA. Clean record = $425/mo. My eyes buldged when I saw that. I tried changing the area code to Huntington Beach, the rate dropped to 110/mo or something like that.

Fraud issue:

His case is not fraud if certain issues are met. When I said that he would need "proof" that his aunt lived where he did, if he had a policy with the mailing address listed as MA, garaging address listed in NY, exclude the first named insured, etc. That would not be fraud.

Using a MA address and garaging in NY however, would be fraud. If the insurance co. found out that the vehicle was in fact garaged in NY, they have the right to refuse any claim and cancel your policy for submitting incorrect information.

Fraud doesn't occur in ins. unless the ins. co. has paid out. I guess you can call his case (garaged in MA) "attempted fraud" or something like that.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, and in your case, I don't know what your driving record is like, but I'm going to assume it's terrible.

With some companies, you can claim chargable accidents as non-chargable, waive all non-point violations (like suspensions, FTA's, fix-it tickets, etc.) maximize driving experience etc.

Another example:

21 year old driver, 2000 Ford expedition, 1 year licensinge experience. Big car like that, young driver, low experience = $345/mo in the area he lived in. For basic full coverage 15/30/10 500 deductibles

I have a company that I can maximize licensing experience if they're 20 years old no matter how long they've actually had their license. Result = $145 for
50/100/50 liability
15/30/CDW uninsured motorist
500 deductibles

So I had one happy customer and made a good amount of money on the policy as I charged him a high broker fee for getting him a rate that low.

Brokers are great, just be careful with which ones you go to. Some intentionally are pieces of crap and charge you a high broker fee and do things to your policy that will get you cancelled immediately. You wouldn't believe the horror stories I've heard.....
Old 09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my tc is 68.00 a month full max 1000k/300k coverage through state farm......and 100.00 deductibles.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

Thanx guys for your responses.

I just got my drivers liscence recently (sad for a 22 year old). And NYCs insurance is ridiculously high for some stupid reason.

I tried numerous places and they all gave me very bad quotes. the best was 7200 which is out of the question.

Hey DP, got any numbers I can call for Brokers. Can I use your company?

Can't let this TC go to waste. I waited toooo long. I already got a list of sh*t to add to it.........
Old 09-18-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
my tc is 68.00 a month full max 1000k/300k coverage through state farm......and 100.00 deductibles.
how old are you.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

30 and i have multi car and multilines(4 cars home, life, and a personal liability policy, and my business insurance) through statefarm.....and i have a perfect driving record. but even if it was insured by itself it would only be 76.00 a month.

what i dont get, is the Tc not considered/rated as a compact economy car? that is what statefarm told me, it was no different then insuring a corolla.
my cousin is 21 and has a new c6 corvette, and he is paying 2200 a year.....something is not adding up.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deepfrieddoggie
Also, I'm no expert in insurance but I know that if you have a car insured under a driver in MA and you get into an accident in NY, the first thing the insurance company is going to ask you is, "Why are YOU driving this car?"

I've heard of people having their cars insured in one part of the state that's less accident-prone (and thus leading to lower rates) while driving in another part of the same state. The explanation is easy: "I was visiting... blah blah blah". That happens in Los Angeles all the time.

What would be risky is what you're proposing. In fact, technically, I suppose it is insurance fraud.

My suggestion would be to raise your deductible, lower the limits on damage, medical, etc.. on your insurance, or shop around some more for better rates. I'm sure you can find something cheaper. OR have your parents add you to their insurance. At least there'll be a discount for a group plan.

However, if none of that is possible because the insurance company wants to charge you an exhorbitant amount because of the vehicular manslaughter on your record, then you my friend should not be driving.
Can you be on your parents insurance policy if you're over 21? I didn't think it was possible.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All insurance companies have their own respective guidelines. "Normal" or "Standard" insurance companies, for example, will cancel your policy and refuse you as an acceptable driver if you have a DUI. No matter how long you've been their customer or how clean your driving record was. Brokers deal with "non-standard" insurance companies. These company's guidelines vary in what they accept (like the examples I gave in the previous posts)

Don't listen to Kilo's low insurance rates. You'll never get those. Considering he's been a continous customer w/ StateFarm (renewal discounts year after year), multi-policies (another discount), is 30 years old (so has at least 14 years of driving experience), a good driving record (usually a good driver discount), sounds like he might be married (another discount), and his location (the greatest limiting factor).

Don't get me wrong, his rate is FANTASTIC and he has very good limits of insurance, but don't expect to get that rate for a very very very long time. Insurace costs usually don't go down for people until after they hit 25 years of age....and that's pending they've had a clean record in that same time.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with ins. b/c we only deal with CA. Every state has their own ins. standards as set by your state's department of insurance. This also prevents me from helping you out. Look in your yellow pages for a broker and such. You can also try your state's dept. of insurance website. They have a link (CA's does anyway) to find insurance.

Versello, anyone can be one anyone's auto insurance policy. No matter what age/sex/etc. so long as they fall under the insurance company's guidelines.
What you're thinking about is health insurance.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kilo6_one
what i dont get, is the Tc not considered/rated as a compact economy car? that is what statefarm told me, it was no different then insuring a corolla.
my cousin is 21 and has a new c6 corvette, and he is paying 2200 a year.....something is not adding up.
Where you live is the most important factor. Would you agree that there is more risk of loss in LA than Fresno? I would definately say yes. There is a high chance that the insurance company will pay out, therefore, the premium will obviously adjust to that. Take the real life example I had in the previous post.

BTW, that rate for your cousin is great.

Also, his 1 year driving experience can only hurt him with standard insurance companies. They usually use "actual" driving experience as verified by a driving record. Most non-standard companies use the "max" licensing experience method. Meaning, if there's 3 years of verifiable experience, then you can maximize their licensing experience to the age of 16. Some companies also do different things as mentioned in the post above. Anything from 1 month experience can be maximized to the age of 16 to not even requiring a license to insure.

I understand it sounds unfeasable, but it's possible. It's up to the insurance company to insure the risk.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default lol... auto insurance questions..

this is funny to see all these responses about how or what people "assume" when it comes to insurance.

being that i have worked at GEICO in NY for over 5 yrs .... i can probably answer most of not all of your questions...

more than likely there are several reasons why this kid has received a quote for $8000 a year or every 6 months.... most companies in NY only write policies for 6 months now anyways...

the general rule of thumb for most underwriting guidelines.. are as follows... simple cut and dry

the person who owns the vehicle [title ownership] should be the person who insures the vehicle [they are the "named insured" on the auto policy] and the person who registers the vehicle [registration/tag/plater ownership]

so if you own the vehicle... and your aunt insures it.... technically she has no "insurable interest" in your vehicle.
for example... if she insures your vehicle [scion titled in your name] and the vehicle is in a accident.. which is declared a total loss [vehicle is damaged more than the vehicle is worth] .... who will get the insurance check??? your aunt.. not you. the check will come in the name of the "named insured" and who is to say that you and your aunt are not on good speaking terms?? see where im going with this? the insurance company honestly looks out for themselves.. and the customer.. but mostly looking out for themselves.... because they want limited liability in any situation depending on the risk. i have had many arguements with policyholders who say why cant i insure a vehicle thats not mine?? i have also seen many fraud cases where a guy insured his best friends car... or girlfriends car... and his policy got cancelled because he wasnt the titled owner.
so unless you and your aunt own this car together... you are more than likely not going to be able to insure this car under her policy....

in regards to registering a vehicle in NY with a MA licenese... in my experience you must live in NY or have a valid legal residence in NY to obtain NY plates. which means a NY license or permit.

most insurance companies... rate policies based upon the vehicles "garaged location" .... so if you live in NYC and your car is rated for NYC... but the mailing address for all policy papers and bills go to a NJ address that should be ok.

for companies like GEICO who do not insure in MA.... a NY policyholder who is rated for NY ... but has a MA mailing address... raises a BIG concern.. for exposure in a state that they do not write in. meaning... the person.. .could be rate jumping... or in geico terms "rated location fraud"

its also funny to see a Florida policyholder.... who has items faxed to NY all the time.. and the contact # is a NYC cell # or tends to pick up id cards at NY locations... or has accidents in NYC.

alot of items cause red flags... for insurance companies.. and depending on how much of a risk results in varied consequences.... cause-cancelled policies... short termed policies... non-renewed policies... etc.

if anyone has a insurance question... message me.. ill be sure to answer it.. .my expertise is mainly in NY auto insurance and Personal umbrella policies... and now NC auto and home policies...

i have experience at GEICO... and Nationwide insurance.

oh and regards to having a youthful operator or any operator on your insurance policy.... basically another rule of thumb is....

ANYONE WHO LIVES IN YOUR HOUSE WITH A VALIDE LICENES, PERMIT SHOULD BE LISTED ON YOUR AUTO POLICY. IF SOMEONE HAS ACCESS TO YOUR CAR... THEY SHOULD BE LISTED...AS WELL. IF PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN YOUR HOUSE... FOR EXAMPLE... YOUR AUNT OR UNCLE OR COUSIN WHO HAVE THEIR OWN INSURANCE.. THATS FINE... YOUR CURRENT INSURANCE CARRIER MAY ASK FOR PROOF OF INSURANCE FOR THEM.. TO JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARENT OPEN TO OTHER DRIVING EXPOSURE OR RISK.

Quick Reply: Insurance Problem