Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Insurance Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

My premium for the first six months was about 1060. It has since dropped to 660.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member

i've read a lot... seems like ill be paying around 2500 to 3000 every six mo. Im only 17 but when im 18 im going to buy an 06 tc. I dont know if im going to put my moms name for the place holder and me as a temp. driver or something... im not sure what its called. insurance in her name... just me making the payments. Would that work?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

iam 30/m excellent credit NYC, multiple policy discount, teacher discount, defensive driving, still I pay around 2K a year for my auto and home combined. This would probably be about 7 - 800 dollars cheaper out of NYC (long island). Maybe you can garage it there. Step over the county line into nassau/suffolk, feel the savings....

About being on your parents policy, I think that your parents are crazy!!!! They are liable if you go and kill someone, they could lose all of their assets if you mess up. My parents told me to get my own insurance LOL.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by iceblink1975
iam 30/m excellent credit NYC, multiple policy discount, teacher discount, defensive driving, still I pay around 2K a year for my auto and home combined. This would probably be about 7 - 800 dollars cheaper out of NYC (long island). Maybe you can garage it there. Step over the county line into nassau/suffolk, feel the savings....

About being on your parents policy, I think that your parents are crazy!!!! They are liable if you go and kill someone, they could lose all of their assets if you mess up. My parents told me to get my own insurance LOL.
They havn't agreed to it yet... they have only agreed on "me" buying myself a new car. I have no idea about the insurance. I'd probably go through geico- ive heard a lot of good things about them... plus my friends parents just switchd and saved around 35% of what they used to spend.

Ill be 18.. living in FTW/Arlington TX anyone have an idea what that would be for me?(alone)
Old 09-20-2005, 03:08 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh just wait everyone, if you think this car insurance thing is bad wait till you buy a house. I have been given the following excuses for my homeowners rates.

1.You have a suplemental heating system in your house (I have an extra chimney that is hooked to nothing and you can see from the street that it is hooked to nothing this almost got me droped, and they still roll by and inspect my house).

2. You need to paint or side your house because we have noted some chiping (It's 100° out, I will paint the 3 square foot area in October, this is another threat to drop that I have till October to fix)

3. My personal favorite. Your rates have increased that much because you live in the Metropoliton New York City area nad we have had a lot of losses in the area. (I live exactly 80 miles from Central Park, I closed on July 17 2001, three months later I recieved a letter saying that metro NYC rates were going to rise because of the "Hightened danger" in these areas. I'm sure the Taliban is intrested in all the Dary Farms around me. Liveing two hours from the city by bus does not justify a 127% rate increase over 3 years)

4. Another good one was after a Huricane hit VA I was hit because of "Siginifigant East Coast Loses" (You would think that a major insurance company could afford a map for what they are chargeing me I live in CT, oh wait, I live in a Southern coast state, Look out LI, RI and Mass, you know all states with a Southern coast can be prone to devistation).

I know this one is coming, with an excuse like "The Gulf stream does come up that way, and you do have a Southern coast".
Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here, heh. I got in a fender small fender bender (first and only accident so far), and my parents kicked me off insurance.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by versello
Same here, heh. I got in a fender small fender bender (first and only accident so far), and my parents kicked me off insurance.
Would my parents insurance go up if the car was in there name, but i was jus on the insurance?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you need to move into another state
Old 09-21-2005, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you need to lube ur _______ up cause that is a raping.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude, just get your insurance in other state.
you may switch back to NY after 3 or 4 years.
at that time your insurance will be much cheaper.
$8k a year is too much because 2 years of insurance premium will cost $16k (you can buy 1 more tC with that)
I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn paying $12k a year, 19, male, single
good luck
by the way, i am living in Brookly NY (21, male, single) and i got my insurnace in CT paying $1000 a year minimum coverage. i will switch back to NY in 3~4 years.
The main reason of the high rate in NYC is because people keep claiming insurance, small dent, little scratch, stolen audio, stolen mirror all kind of ****.
many people out there are just dumb of claiming besides they have to pay for deductible & their insurnace price will jump up after a claim.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionman1480
dude, just get your insurance in other state.
you may switch back to NY after 3 or 4 years.
at that time your insurance will be much cheaper.
$8k a year is too much because 2 years of insurance premium will cost $16k (you can buy 1 more tC with that)
I have a friend who lives in Brooklyn paying $12k a year, 19, male, single
good luck
by the way, i am living in Brookly NY (21, male, single) and i got my insurnace in CT paying $1000 a year minimum coverage. i will switch back to NY in 3~4 years.
The main reason of the high rate in NYC is because people keep claiming insurance, small dent, little scratch, stolen audio, stolen mirror all kind of ****.
many people out there are just dumb of claiming besides they have to pay for deductible & their insurnace price will jump up after a claim.

hey scionman good luck... with that... do u realize that most insurance companies have policy investigation departments... or fraud units. you are what they call the rated location jumper

its funny when they find out by reports from consumer reports aka credit checks for last known addresses.. which are verified by your credit card, checking acct and loan banks. lol

and most companies wont write you again for at least a year... some just dead your policy straight up.. and tell u to find insurance elsewhere... and then you have a lapse.. then nobody wants ulol

Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here's one for you:

"well look at this guy rate jump.....that's fine."

*insert accident*

"where did it happen?"

"uh...."

"DENIED AND CANCELLED FOR PROVIDING FALSE INFORMATION AT THE TIME OF INCEPTION TO AVOID CORRECT PREMIUMS, THANKS FOR PAYING!"

you lose

Check that line that you signed under "applicant's statement" and read the fine print.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by spikeymike78
hey scionman good luck... with that... do u realize that most insurance companies have policy investigation departments... or fraud units. you are what they call the rated location jumper

its funny when they find out by reports from consumer reports aka credit checks for last known addresses.. which are verified by your credit card, checking acct and loan banks. lol

and most companies wont write you again for at least a year... some just dead your policy straight up.. and tell u to find insurance elsewhere... and then you have a lapse.. then nobody wants ulol

yup, i know they have such thing, but i can prove that wherever i live.
i did check my credit record, it shows up my CT address also.
I am not afraid that they will find out, but i am afraid of the $8k NYC insurance premium.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my insurance agent hooks me up... they legally only have to rate me for my age on 1 vehicle on the policy... which is my old car.. a 95 lumina which is also liability only. So full coverage on my tC = $80 a month, liability for the other car however is also $80.

It's still cheaper than insuring the tC alone, which would be $200 a month at 22 with 3 moving violations (speed).

My insurance agent kicks ___, they said they could hook me up on a sportbike as long as it wasn't a super sport.. $19 a month for full coverage and a $50 deductible on a 2005 Ducati Monster 620 dark.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmmm

last I checked no insurance company waived point violations. Let alone 3. Those three would make you unacceptable for most companies. Most would assign you as a high risk driver, and I'm surprised your license hasn't been suspended for negligent driving.

The fact that a tC full covered costs as much as a lumina w/ just liability should clue you into some sort of alert. How can a new car that has more power, would probably cause more damage to someone else's vehicle, and would cost the insurance company something to fix it be the same price as and old car that is lower risk and doesn't have to be paid for incase it's destroyed?

It doesn't really make sense.

Which insurance company are you with? (not your broker)
Old 09-21-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still if ur a high risk driver no way should u be paying 8k. That's insane. In 2 years u can buy a tC.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SinIsSick
still if ur a high risk driver no way should u be paying 8k. That's insane. In 2 years u can buy a tC.
i wouldn't drive if my insurance is $8k a year
Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionman1480
Originally Posted by SinIsSick
i wouldn't drive if my insurance is $8k a year
Exactly! I would be taking public transportation.